Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

calebsystem3
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2011, 11:25 am

I grew up in the country and was not diagnosed ever. I worked in factories and industrial jobs. I was a hard worker but knew that I did not fit in. I knew that I was too smart for those types of jobs. I have a strong artistic passion but cannot draw. I am about to start school for computer networking systems but I am 30 now and need a side job until I graduate. Any ideas?

Basically, What are people with autism good at as far as jobs?

calebsystem3
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2011, 11:59 am

Anybody???????????

BearSalad
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2011, 12:06 pm

Too Intelligent for Industrial And Factory work, Hahaha.

Ludwig Wittgenstein was angry at his Student's for wanting to Teach Philosophy, But was joyed when he heard G.E Moore's Wife Worked in a Jam Factory.

You're looking at it wrong.

There's no specific job's good for people with Autism, it's your own personal preference, of course Detail oriented jobs are "Better", due to our natural focus on details.

Here, let me Google that for you.

http://tinyurl.com/3fduslw

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 12:08 pm

Hi, Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

I studied C++ from 1998 to 2000. What I found is that employers look for a list of things you know (perhaps only superficially) rather than one thing you know well. Plus, I feel it's important to talk with a variety of people, including those outside the school, about what jobs may be opening up. People affiliated with the school can be optimistic, nothing wrong with being optimistic, but it can blur to deception.

I have learned from retail jobs. It helps my social skills. I keep track of what works with customers and what doesn't. And usually, the polite, friendly, straightforward is better.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 12:21 pm

A more serious job, I worked for a regional chain selling mattresses and beds on commission.

There is a threshold to being accepted by the other commission sales people. But sometimes, the commission salespeople talk about a customer interaction like two baseball players analyzing a play. It is amazing. And it's more honest than someone might think. A big part of it is showing a customer what he or she is interested in, and not what they're not. The job helped me with my social skills.

You have streaks, I guess just like a baseball player. And the streaks hurt more because you are on commission.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 12:33 pm

I'm not sure about that, since I'm having a hard time looking for the right job for me :) .

I think admin work is good for Aspies, since it's a lot of computer work and I know most Aspies like to be at their own computer where it doesn't involve too much rushing around.....but unfortunately the job seems to entail answering the telephone too - which I don't know about any of you but I know that I will find that hard. (Grr - there's just no escape from PEOPLE is there?! !!)
I'm not sure what else. I don't mind working with noise - I only don't like unpredictable loud sudden noise, but I don't worry about continuous noise. Well, it might agitate me a bit, but it's better than working somewhere where there might be a bell (like a school) or something like that.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 1:19 pm

From personal experience, admin work is not right for me, although it's all I've ever done. I worked as an admin assistant for 11 years and enjoyed all the computer stuff. I became a dab hand at designing databases and would have done that all day long, if I had the chance. But, there was so much more to it. I hated the phone and actually have a phobia. Also, if you want to get on, chances are you'll have to supervise one or more people. Initially my job was working one to one with a manager and weI got on well. But, we had a re-organisation and I ended up supervising a small team. They were all experienced workers and good at their jobs. I didn't feel the need to be on top of them every minute of the day, but my supervisor thought I should be more pro-active at managing them (like she was - constantly peering over my shoulder and putting me off). Myself and my next in line knew all the jobs of the team, so we could cover for absences. They were all happy. I don't know what else I could have done.

When my daughter was born (5 1/2 years ago), I became a full-time mum. I'm now painting as a hobby and it's starting to get quite serious (it's what I should have done years ago). I hope to sell a few paintings some day. I know I'll never returrn to admin, but I would take an IT job, if phones were minimal and I was not expected to supervise.

TB
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 1:57 pm

psychiatrist or waiter seems to be good jobs.

RudolfsDad
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2011, 2:13 pm

calebsystem3 wrote:
I grew up in the country and was not diagnosed ever. I worked in factories and industrial jobs. I was a hard worker but knew that I did not fit in. I knew that I was too smart for those types of jobs. I have a strong artistic passion but cannot draw. I am about to start school for computer networking systems but I am 30 now and need a side job until I graduate. Any ideas?

This is kind of a vague answer, I know, but maybe it will inspire you or someone else to give a more specific suggestion.

There are art forms that don't involve drawing skills. What about one of those? Perhaps some kind of computer-based design? Designing attractive, artistic websites for a company, perhaps?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 2:41 pm

TB wrote:
psychiatrist or waiter seems to be good jobs.

I couldn't be a waitress. I'm too clumsy with carrying plates, I will have a hard time asking the customers what they want, I have a hard time hearing if it's a noisy restaurant, I write too slowly, and I especially couldn't work in a foreign restaurant because I find it difficult pronouncing the names of the food (especially Indian), and I will more when talking to the public. (Stage fright or social phobia).

I wouldn't mind kitchen work - where I'm just loading the dish-washer, washing up, preparing food, and cleaning up, because I think I will be good at that. I am very conscious with hygiene, so I will make a good kitchen cleaner. :)

Aldran
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 May 2011, 3:02 pm

@ the OP:

You're just looking for Part Time while you're in School right? Personally Ive found Delivery jobs work well for me. Im mostly out on my own navigating to peoples address'. Lots of details to keep in mind while I do it, and more so if I have NPR on in the background. Address', Driving details (Wheel placement is a big one for larger vehicles), traffic, location, Routing, etc etc.

If you own your own vehicle and its insured (This latter part depends on w/e state you're in), Pizza delivery jobs are stupid easy to get and usually pay pretty well (If you live in ghetto, probably not, but if you live in a more affluent area, or an area with lots of hotels, it will, and even if you do live in a ghetto you can apply to pizza places outside of where you live).

If you have some extra cash laying around, go get a CDL: B or higher (Your local DoL office will have all the info you need for it) and you'll be able to get a job that will pay rediculously well for a College student 8) . Though again, depending on your state and its requirements, this may not be an option.

I personally got started driving with a non-profit Charity that ran a Donation Collection service, but unless you're going to night school this probably wouldn't work very well for you (Long hours, crazy stop manifests, and insane amounts of material being moved, but it was a blast XD ).

Edited to add:
People have already mentioned Food Service (Kitchen/food prep/etc etc), and thats a good place to try too. Jobs in this area are VERY easy to get atm. They don't tend to pay very well in my experience, but if you're just looking for some income to get by and are living a cheap college students life atm it will do fine.

I could also suggest going to your college campus' admin office and asking if they have an employment office or anything of the sort that might be of help. This will depend more on what kind of school you're in (Ive found technical colleges almost never have a very good or dedicated employment office if they have one at all, where as CColleges tend to be ok, and universities usually have a fully decked out Employment Suite, lol).

After all that, as others have said, it'll depend on what you can put up with for what amount of money, as always, lol. Good Luck!