Married to an Aspie - thinking of divorce

Page 3 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

NTinahousew3AS
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jul 2011, 9:54 am

Buck-oh wrote:
NTinahousew3AS wrote:
Thank you I see a therapist weekly...this was yet another especially bad weekend and it's my only free time so thank you...I do appreciate the input

lol

If there's one thing I haven't picked up in learning to communicate with others, it's distinguishing the difference between when people actually want advice (or someone to "fix" their problems") and when they just want someone to listen while they figure out their problems. I think the ratio is somewhere along the lines of "want advice": 1% and "want someone to listen": 99%. :)

I hope you and your therapist can come up some solutions to save you from burnout, divorce or not. It sounds like you emotionally have one foot outside the door already (and that's pretty difficult to turn around). If your husband and you can make it work, great. If you need to walk away so that you can devote your energy to the child who requires it the most (and keep your sanity) then it's something you need to do.

NTinahousew3AS wrote:
AND YOU HAVE TO LEAD THEM BY THE HAND EVEN HAVE TO SAY PLEASE WASH YOUR HANDS WHEN YOUR DONE IN THE BATHROOM AND DON'T TOUCH THE FOOD AFTER HOLDING YOUR p$&^% BECAUSE IT'S GROSS!

If only you knew how many guys I've observed not washing their hands after using a urinal, even in fast food restaurants where it's pretty much a sure bet they won't be eating with utensils.

Thank you I appreciate your honesty..communication is hard for many not just AS individuals...both my parents are NT and neither have successful marriages 3 times over. I am emotionally drained and just really had hoped to find something that I haven't already read, asked, talked about...oh and I know very well how many "people in general" don't wash there hands it's just gross...guess that's my OCD showing :-) Thank you again, not sure where this will all end up.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 10:09 am

I think I kind of agree with the people who think you are trying to take too much responsibility, and then getting annoyed because the rest of your family doesn't. I've seen this situation before, and it's not really anybody's fault per se; it just kind of starts slowly and then snowballs.

You do need help. Nobody should have to do all of the work in a house--it's too much; families are supposed to be cooperative. But it's going to take a while to change that, and getting mad at them for not pitching in isn't going to help.

I don't know if Asperger's is relevant here. Maybe it is, to some extent, because they can't understand your non-verbal cues that say "I'm tired and want help," and you are used to not asking them.

Autistic adults are usually independent; and if they are living in their parents' houses, usually do their own housework and self-care. Profoundly disabled adults are the exception, but from what you're saying, your children and husband are nowhere near that. If there are things they truly can't do for themselves, then that's different, but I'm willing to bet that either they can do those things for themselves, or they can learn. An occupational therapist might be helpful if they have trouble with learning.

One thing I see in these sorts of situations is that the person doing all the work has not just gotten used to doing all the work, but also used to having it all done the way they want it done (because they're the one doing it). Sometimes when changing this state of affairs, it can be very difficult for this person to let go of the control they had in the past over the affairs of the household, however tired and overworked they were; and that can result in them trying to micromanage the others or re-do the work they already did. Do all you can to resist that impulse. If your family is not allowed to do their own work--or leave it undone and suffer the messy consequences--then they will grow discouraged and stop trying to do it.

Make sure you know the difference between "Able to do something whenever they want," "Able to do something when prompted or when not under stress," and "Not able to do something most of the time." It's entirely likely for an autistic person to be able to do something sometimes, but not always; or to be able to do it, but not initiate it. If you have seen someone do something once, that doesn't mean they'll be able to do it whenever they want to. They may need reminders--up to multiple alarms--to remind them to do things. I use a pretty intricate system of alarms, reminders, schedules, and calendars to keep myself on track and my apartment clean--if they haven't worked on getting one of their own, they may be depending on you to prompt them. You don't want that--you want them to arrange their own prompts.

Above all, stress constantly that what you want to do is have the family work together harmoniously, and change things slowly, one thing at a time. Work together with them to change it--let them say what they want things to be like. If you have Aspies in the house you'll know we don't like unpredictability or change; so make sure everyone knows what will change and how. It's easier to cope with that way.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

NTinahousew3AS
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jul 2011, 10:23 am

Callista wrote:
I think I kind of agree with the people who think you are trying to take too much responsibility, and then getting annoyed because the rest of your family doesn't. I've seen this situation before, and it's not really anybody's fault per se; it just kind of starts slowly and then snowballs.

You do need help. Nobody should have to do all of the work in a house--it's too much; families are supposed to be cooperative. But it's going to take a while to change that, and getting mad at them for not pitching in isn't going to help.

I don't know if Asperger's is relevant here. Maybe it is, to some extent, because they can't understand your non-verbal cues that say "I'm tired and want help," and you are used to not asking them.

Autistic adults are usually independent; and if they are living in their parents' houses, usually do their own housework and self-care. Profoundly disabled adults are the exception, but from what you're saying, your children and husband are nowhere near that. If there are things they truly can't do for themselves, then that's different, but I'm willing to bet that either they can do those things for themselves, or they can learn. An occupational therapist might be helpful if they have trouble with learning.

One thing I see in these sorts of situations is that the person doing all the work has not just gotten used to doing all the work, but also used to having it all done the way they want it done (because they're the one doing it). Sometimes when changing this state of affairs, it can be very difficult for this person to let go of the control they had in the past over the affairs of the household, however tired and overworked they were; and that can result in them trying to micromanage the others or re-do the work they already did. Do all you can to resist that impulse. If your family is not allowed to do their own work--or leave it undone and suffer the messy consequences--then they will grow discouraged and stop trying to do it.

Make sure you know the difference between "Able to do something whenever they want," "Able to do something when prompted or when not under stress," and "Not able to do something most of the time." It's entirely likely for an autistic person to be able to do something sometimes, but not always; or to be able to do it, but not initiate it. If you have seen someone do something once, that doesn't mean they'll be able to do it whenever they want to. They may need reminders--up to multiple alarms--to remind them to do things. I use a pretty intricate system of alarms, reminders, schedules, and calendars to keep myself on track and my apartment clean--if they haven't worked on getting one of their own, they may be depending on you to prompt them. You don't want that--you want them to arrange their own prompts.

Above all, stress constantly that what you want to do is have the family work together harmoniously, and change things slowly, one thing at a time. Work together with them to change it--let them say what they want things to be like. If you have Aspies in the house you'll know we don't like unpredictability or change; so make sure everyone knows what will change and how. It's easier to cope with that way.

Thank you not a control freak...I expect everyone to do their share regardless of ability and I'm clear, I give lists, I don't care if you do it standing on your head as long as it gets done. There are a hundred ways to accomplish most things and I'm not picky about it or feel it has to be done my way...my severly autistic child makes his bed crooked but it's made and that is just fine...it's not about housework....it's an Apsie husband who refuses to learn about himself so he can better help his 23Aspie grow and progress in life. Neither of them will use the tools to organize and that's different for everyone I get that...I also know they don't like change remember I'm living this and I keep a calm home with a great deal of structure and predictability. Frankly they need to go live together and then maybe my husband will begin to learn for himself and his son.

NTinahousew3AS
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jul 2011, 10:27 am

Ok I want to say thank you...after all this posting I don't think this is the forum for me. I don't want to offend and social communciation can be confusing and since I live with 3 on the spectrum my fear as an NT is that I will say or do something that will hurt. I'm at an emotionally raw place and thought this might help. I have always been hesitant. I wish you well and thank everyone very much for your replies, and suggestions...nothing has fallen on deaf ears. I just think I should not participat. Again thank you.

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 11:30 am

I am an NT married to an Aspie, too. I also manage everything, and I also feel like I cannot take it anymore from time to time. We have an Aspie daughter. Right now we are working on independence together with her therapist, and I have realized that most of their dependance is my fault. If they cannot do or do noy want to do something I just go and do it myself. And when they do something wrong I go and fix it myself. I put everything on me MYSELF. You have to let them take responsibility of themselves, and fix what they did wrong themselves or they will never learn and will never change. Threatening your husband will not work. For some reason Aspies do not respond good to threatening. They just cannot process it. What you have to do is assign responsibilities to our husband and help him remember them. They take a long time to introduce new chores to their routines, specially things they do noy want to do, so you will have to be patient. If you can get a physical way of reminding him his duties (schedule, app, something he can SEE), it will work better. And if he does something wrong let him fix his mess. He will probably fail a couple times, but will get better with time. And try not to get mad at him. They do not react well to that, either. Good luck!

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Jul 2011, 11:48 am

I'm an aspie married to an NT; both in our mid 40s, and we don't have any kids. Honestly, I don't think any other woman could stand to have me around, but my wife is just that special one who does. I have my routines which could drive anyone nuts. Very weird routines, such as the fact that I collect and restore old Cold War era air raid sirens, and I have to be home on the last Friday of every month, to sound a siren at noon. I guess it boils down to what kinds of stress you can deal with, and what kinds will drive you away. We run a business together, and have dozens (literally dozens) of pets with various ailments and weird problems, which we have rescued. We both feel run to our limits now & then, with too many responsibilities. But somehow it's all worth it with no question, and I think that's mutual between my wife and me. Sometimes we get in a discussion about how many times I need to clean up after pets, and we have to plan our days around insulin shots for dogs, and hormone pills for cats & horses, and stuff like that, which is VERY taxing on the personal life.

We work together to make all this fall in place, and that's how we cope with it. If only one of us were to put the effort forward, it could not last.

Not knowing you personally, I can't offer any opinions or advice, other than to follow your gut feelings. If you're in love with your husband, please try to find common ground with the family situation, and save what you have together. If you have indeed become a mother to him, and the flame is out, then maybe some changes are needed.

Best wishes to you & family to get things worked out one way or the other, asap.

Charles

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 12:36 pm

---

Last edited by OddFiction on 25 Jul 2011, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoSpam
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2011, 7:12 pm

NTinahousew3AS wrote:
OK I want to say thank you...after all this posting I don't think this is the forum for me. I don't want to offend and social communication can be confusing and since I live with 3 on the spectrum my fear as an NT is that I will say or do something that will hurt. I'm at an emotionally raw place and thought this might help. I have always been hesitant. I wish you well and thank everyone very much for your replies, and suggestions...nothing has fallen on deaf ears. I just think I should not participate. Again thank you.

Thank you for reaching out here and sharing here, NTinahousew3AS! I have been reading this whole thread with great interest since my wife is NT and I am AS. We have two young boys-- one is AS and the younger one has ADHD.

Your situation being shared here is in no way out of place because you may be able to sort out some useful information and/or ideas from all of the input that has been shared. In addition, you may be helping someone like me to avoid falling into the bad habits of your husband by showing us how badly it has affected you. We can learn from venting and sharing issues like this. This is exactly what many of us need to know -- that we are not alone. We may be miles apart, but we can learn from each other.

My only addition to all that has been shared above is my main issue with my NT wife is in verbal communication. She never seems to give me enough detail. She wants me to understand what she wants from her initial statements. I always need to ask her a few questions more to get all the details filled in. I often tell her that my Extra Sensory Perception (ESP) is broken and I need her to tell me more. I just don't get the "between the lines" or implied information without it being spelled out for me. I know that it is a pain for her, but, she does have a lot of patience for me since she knows that it is an Aspie thing. Your husband sounds like he may be even worse in this regard than I am. You may need to give him much more detail about what you want from him than you would normally have to spell out for anyone else.

Please feel free to continue to vent and share here. Also, if you don't mind, please let us know what your therapist's advice is about this issue. I would like to know whatever you decide in the end and how it works out for you.

I am wishing you all the best.

Your Aspie score: 147 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie
AQ Score: 39

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2011, 12:26 am

Well it's obvious not all of this is over aspergers. He just isn't grateful period. Not all aspies are like that by the way.

Is that show Wife Swap still on? Maybe he needs to understand just how good he really has it.

The reason I asked if he was also a mama's boy is I know of a couple where the male was a mama's boy and the wife just does EVERYTHING! He doesn't have aspergers but he gets to do anything he wants which is not take care of the kids period.

Maybe you two should get a divorce and you take care of the severely autistic child because he's not lifting a finger. 22 and 23 year olds are not babies and I resent how society keeps pushing up the age to treat adults like they are still infants.

BassMan_720
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jul 2011, 3:02 am

Chronos wrote:
You know BassMan, even though your wife probably has a mental list of specific things she would like you to know to do without being told, I think perhaps that if you just take more independent initiative in re-occurring household and parental responsibilities, and let her know about it then that might make her feel less like your mother and more like your wife.

For example, if you noticed the kitchen floor needed mopping said something like "I've gotta mop the kitchen floor, do you need to do anything in there first?" And then proceed to mop the floor when she is done in there, she would probably thrilled.

It's really no different than at work. You expect everyone to have some idea of what needs to be done and when. If you had a co-worker who still acted like an intern in that they had to be told what to do and how to do it every day, despite a fairly cyclic work schedule....if they asked if they should use red folders or blue folders for a high priority project, even though you know they've seen and worked with high priorities project folders man times before, you would get frustrated.

This is very presumptuous. I have taken valuable advice from Ilka on this and have been doing my fair share around the house for a while now, in spite of working very long Hong Kong work ethic hours.

The domestic situation is very different to work. At work I make sure that there are written procedures to ensure that tasks are conducted consistently and systematically. At home I have great difficulty understanding the unwritten rules that dictate when routine tasks need to be done differently or at a different time. These rules are fart to subtle and complex for my AS mind to rationalise. While I can follow a decision tree and task lists, If I use my initiative, I will get things wrong and have more chance of ending up in the dog house than if I had not done anything at all. I still do not have a workaround for this other than asking stupid (from an NT perspective) questions which is often counterproductive with respect to my wife feeling more like my mother. I am very open to constructive suggestions here.

BassMan_720
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jul 2011, 3:22 am

NoSpam wrote:
My only addition to all that has been shared above is my main issue with my NT wife is in verbal communication. She never seems to give me enough detail. She wants me to understand what she wants from her initial statements. I always need to ask her a few questions more to get all the details filled in. I often tell her that my Extra Sensory Perception (ESP) is broken and I need her to tell me more. I just don't get the "between the lines" or implied information without it being spelled out for me.

Same for me too. Communication is difficult the other way too, for similar reasons. I get accused of not giving enough detail - or sometimes too much detail. I don't have this problem communicating with my AS daughter. We can miss detail in our shorthand speach and still understand each other fully. My wife and NT daughter can feel pushed out when my AS daughter and I chat.

My wife may not be so understanding or as patient as yours. She gets very frustrated. The worst situation is when either of us thinks they have understood the other only to find out later that we have only partly understood or understood wrongly.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 4:17 pm

This has been a fascinating Topic because it encapsulates the aspie/nt struggle and the posts have been so open handed.

Quote:
I also know they don't like change remember I'm living this and I keep a calm home with a great deal of structure and predictability.

NTinahuse, it sounds as if you have amazing organizational skills, insight, patience & determination. I applaud you for stewarding a calm household, no easy feat under any circumstances. Despite my respect for your decision to cease posting; I'll say that you have valuable stratigies for mothers of autistic kids worth sharing. (Add mothers in general, for that matter.)

Quote:
it's not about housework....it's an Apsie husband who refuses to learn about himself so he can better help his 23Aspie grow and progress in life.

This scenario is one I am very familiar with, all too familiar with. It's maddening to witness. I don't know the motivation of the father; ego protection? self protective denial? misplaced "protection" of the son? lack of enough reserve energy after the job to cope? Regardless, it has the appearance of selfishness; in the face of extreme need in the son, of which the father is uniquely equipted to help; the father will not look nor hear, muchless act.

Quote:
Frankly they need to go live together and then maybe my husband will begin to learn for himself and his son.

When I read this, I knew that you'd arrived at the logical next step; having read all the posts and that you'd truly tried it all and likely, then some.

My best wishes to you and your family, sometimes the most loving action is the toughest one.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 8:43 pm

[quote="BassMan_720"] These rules are fart to subtle and complex for my AS mind to rationalise. quote]

Typo, I am guessing :)

BassMan_720
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jul 2011, 9:24 am

Graelwyn wrote:
BassMan_720 wrote:
These rules are fart to subtle and complex for my AS mind to rationalise.

Or a Freudian slip :wink:

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 10:02 am

BassMan_720 wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:
BassMan_720 wrote:
These rules are fart to subtle and complex for my AS mind to rationalise.

Or a Freudian slip :wink:

:lol:

Reckoning
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 May 2013, 12:02 am

I love my husband very much but being married to someone with AS if draining. My husband can walk right past trash on the ground and say he didn't see it. I just don't know if this is true or he just doesn't care enough to pick it up. I feel like if I could just understand what the truth and the facts were, maybe I would no longer take his lake of attention to detail for things important to me as such a personal affront. I can't even point out something without him getting uber defensive. I've heard many say that it's like having to be your husbands mother and I have certainly felt that way at times. We have been married nearly 7 years and if I had no other stress, I think I could handle his differences without feeling alone in my marriage, without feeling like the foundation, without feeling like everything's on my shoulders. I don't feel like any change is ever a lasting change and truth be told, I'm depressed and although I really don't want to give up, I'm exhausted and feel like I'm just going to break in half at any time. My young son also demonstrates symptoms and I'm trying to get him ready for kindergarten...alone... We are Christians and I believe God put us together but I just don't understand why he doesn't try to overcome these obstacles. It makes me feel like I'm not important enough for him to change although I don't believe he feels this way. I think he's just stuck in his symptoms, ways, and patterns and just cannot break himself of these things. No less, that doesn't make up for the lack of my needs being addressed in our marriage. Am I asking too much?