Page 1 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 12:01 pm

How unintelligent does one have to be before they would not use words like unintelligent?

Godless_lawyer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Aug 2011, 12:32 pm

As someone said earlier, part of being intelligent is being able to realize how little you actually know.

The trick, I think, is to let that drive you to learn more - and be constantly learning - rather than giving up because you'll never know everything there is.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 1:21 pm

i used to think i'm very, very stupid. i don't understand how the computer works even though my nieces keep explaining this to me and need to explain again and i still don't understand. i have a learning disability and inability to see the big picture and got fired from jobs for idiots like a cashier in a side restaurant where i barely had to do anything. working at full speed was easy and i never got fired, because i had to do the same thing over and over again and had excellent speed. but when i had to do more than one thing...
knowing you're autistic is knowing your problems don't stem from idiocity. it's a relief. i still feel inadequate because i'm not a computre genuis like some aspies are. in my mind, i have a picture of an autistic person who finds the cure for cancer... i just can't compete.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 4:43 pm

I feel unintelligent all the time. Actually its because I am not that smart. I have been tested numerous times as an IQ of 82. I am unable to comprehend others when they speak most of the time and misinterpret everything that is being said to me. Also, I am not smart enough to figure out puzzles or just figuring out things in general. I am not able to have a good vocabulary. The only skill I have is art and knowledge about psychology and current events. Not enough to be a psychologist or go into journalism. When people first meet me, they think that I am highly intelligent because I go on about my special interests and actually sound like a genius. When things happen outside of the special interests, I sound like a moron. I know a lot about abnormal psychology because it affects me all the time. Current events I just like because it can affect the entire world depending on what it is. The stock market crashed today. The Dow crashed over 500 points. The worst crash since 2008 during the recession. Pray it goes up tomorrow!

byakuugan
Raven
Raven

04 Aug 2011, 6:10 pm

I feel stupid that I can't solve things very fast. But if given enough time, I can understand things a lot better than the average person.
Like in chess, most players study by solving countless diagrams as fast as they can. I study complex endgames (www.youtube.com/user/byakuugan86) and provide insight into the "raw concepts" of the pieces to an understanding that is beyond even grandmasters.

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 9:51 pm

All the time. I have trouble understanding almost everything sometimes

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 10:01 pm

100% of people are ret*ds. Only 4-5% are even remotely intelligent enough to realize this.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 1:53 am

yeah. i listen to people speak sometimes and theyre just so articulate and far more capable of expressing themselves than i. all my thoughts are in pictures and concepts and i have a hard time translating everything into words. the fact that my mind goes blank whenever someone looks at or talks to me also makes me feel like a dolt that and the fact that i seem to misinterpret simple figures of speech and tone of voice.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 2:29 am

VMSmith wrote:
yeah. i listen to people speak sometimes and theyre just so articulate and far more capable of expressing themselves than i. all my thoughts are in pictures and concepts and i have a hard time translating everything into words. the fact that my mind goes blank whenever someone looks at or talks to me also makes me feel like a dolt that and the fact that i seem to misinterpret simple figures of speech and tone of voice.

It reminds me of those times I was always outspoken by my ex gf... :P Well, it happened not only with her.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 2:43 am

I think it's kind of ironic that people think that my pedantic speech is a sign of intelligence, because it's actually an autistic trait that indicates not a facility with speech but a lack of flexibility in language which requires me to use very precise words.

That, and an addiction to books, naturally.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 7:22 am

I feel stupid when I'm socially akward or I have to deal with math (I have Dyscalculia which makes counting money difficult in shops)

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 8:25 am

If you think about what you are doing, etc... and put yourself into chllenging situations, ESPECIALLY if it is wth a group, you are BOUND to feel stupid at times. People have even insulted me at times. Then I realize all the times that our situations were reversed, and they were WORSE, and I start feeling pretty good about the whole thing. NOBODY knows everything, and people aren't going to reliably perceive things at the same rate.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 8:28 am

Callista wrote:
I think it's kind of ironic that people think that my pedantic speech is a sign of intelligence, because it's actually an autistic trait that indicates not a facility with speech but a lack of flexibility in language which requires me to use very precise words.

That, and an addiction to books, naturally.

The average kid doesn't even learn words like pedantic! And being precise is BETTER. As for reading? I guess I should read more. I read the last book of the harry potter series, and learned two new words. Sounds STUPID, huh? A middle aged guy learning words from such a book? As I recall, one word had to do with armor. Not exactly a specialty of mine. I remember EXACTLY what the other word is: Plinth How many people would ever hear such a word? It adds to the imagery, but otherwise has little value in harry potter. Did they even mention it in the films?

Anyway, that shows how you COULD know more words, and how I fight the idea of being dumb. I know SO many words that I would put it up against almost anyone else. STILL, there may be HUNDREDS of "words" that others know that I don't. I put that in quotes, since most are probably pidgin or slang. I have learned dozens of such words looking at forums, words like emo and derp. But if I went back 20 or 40 years, or went to another culture learning standard englsh, I bet I would have a lot more useful words, on average.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 10:02 am

But plinth is a word most people know, I'm sure :) I didn't but that's because I didn't know it in English, though having put it into an online dictionary, I was left with the translation into my native tongue: cokół - that's under what name I know it :D I think almost everybody (but for very unintelligent people and children) has heard this term :)

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 6:44 pm

Constantly. I'm not dumb or anything, I'm just not as intelligent as I'd like to be I guess. I'm of average/slightly above average intelligence.

silenthawk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2011, 7:48 pm

I am in reality a smart person. Not genius smart, but smart. I get good grades, but my social skills are lacking.

However, I do feel unintelligent sometimes. Like when somebody tells a joke, and I'm the only one not laughing. It's not that I don't get the joke, I just don't have a good sense of humor.

Or when somebody is having a conversation and I am the only one not talking, because I don't know to say.