Page 4 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 3:56 pm

All the time and I am constantly being noted about it.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 4:02 pm

I am both smart and stupid. Mentally, I have uneven abilities.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 4:17 pm

I agree with Marybird - I have uneven abilities. In university, I have a 4.0. In 'real life' I have trouble managing household bills and I have difficulty holding a job.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 3:36 pm

I always am unintelligent. People actually comment on when I do something smart. Its like, "wow that was smart!" Very rarely do I figure something out first in my family. In fact I am usually the last one to figure out something simple. My low IQ further proves this. 78-85 depending on the test. I ain't that bright but surprisingly did well in school. In a way I was lucky, God was watching over me in school to make sure I get decent grades. There were times I should have failed a class, but because the teacher was understanding of how my IQ is helped considerably. Also, I ended up in groups (smart groups at that) and that helped. I always asked for the teachers help in both college and high school. In college I had to be put in remedial classes for the most part. When it was actual college level classes, I struggled like a starving artist trying to get food and cash. In high school the vast majority were special ed classes. I got a 3.7 in college and a 3.8 in high school. Also during my schooling, I had to go from school to school because of bullying. But in a way that helped because some of the schools were too difficult for me. One of them I had to read out loud constantly. I sucked at it and felt like a complete idiot. I suck at reading out loud. I get so nervous I actually forget what the words are! Even simple ones! When I ask someone which subject I excel at they always say, "art." That is sadly not a real intellectual subject that requires brainpower. So, yeah I ain't that bright.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Dec 2012, 3:57 pm

You know, I feel intelligent most of the time but there are certainly times where I feel incredibly inadequate. This usually happens when conversing with someone who isn't necessarily more intelligent, but instead, more overbearing in their opinions, I can feel stupid because I can't instantly form and verbalize a rebuttal. I mean, several people I know would wholeheartedly agree that I'm more of an intellectual than one of my friends, but he's so adept at firing witty criticisms that I can look like an absolute ret*d around him. I don't mind though; diverse friends are cool.

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Dec 2012, 1:29 am

Totally depends, socially, I frequently feel completely stupid. Logically, I sometimes feel like a genius compared to other teens. Other times, I feel like I have no logic at all. I almost always feel like I know more about diverse topics than almost everyone else I know.

Jean_Descole
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Dec 2012, 2:20 am

How to explian...

I don't feel the word intelligence really holds water. Everyone is intelligent in their own way, whether it be socially, academically, kinesthetically, what-have-you. Nevertheless, I feel our society tends to equate intelligence with book smarts, the latter of which I can't entirely deny having. Nevertheless, as a whole, I don't feel any more or less intelligent that most people--we're just different.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 2:49 pm

Jean_Descole wrote:
How to explian...

I don't feel the word intelligence really holds water. Everyone is intelligent in their own way, whether it be socially, academically, kinesthetically, what-have-you. Nevertheless, I feel our society tends to equate intelligence with book smarts, the latter of which I can't entirely deny having. Nevertheless, as a whole, I don't feel any more or less intelligent that most people--we're just different.

I agree 100 percent.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

24 Dec 2012, 2:52 pm

I feel stupid a lot, but that's mostly for things I do, like making a mistake. :lol:

Someone calling my stupid on the other hand... That grinds my gears...

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 3:12 pm

A few weeks ago, I was at a bar in the Rockies, and a stranger approached me. We were talking about the growth of public transit systems in the intermountain West, and he called me "brilliant." I feel very insecure about my own intelligence, or others thinking I'm intelligent, especially considering I didn't do the best in school. Anyways, I replied automatically, "maybe I'm intelligent for out here." Wrong decision.

I feel insecure about it. I'm trying to muddle through. It's the best course of action.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

24 Dec 2012, 4:31 pm

I also have uneven abilities; I'm a genius on some fronts, and Homer Simpson-ish in others.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Dec 2012, 4:44 pm

I was considered gifted in school, qualified for Mensa as a young adult, and always excelled in my job.

BUT I quite often feel stupid. Especially when faced with ultra-dry logic, materialism, scientific attention to detail, or perfectionism. I'm a feeling, intuitive type, and I'm much more comfortable being creative - even though I'm not that talented. I think part of the reason I'm so comfortable spending time alone is the expectations of others are often more than I can take or feel that I can live up to. If they find out I'm supposed to be gifted it's even worse - they expect more of me. I'm a slow learner and thinker. I think best on paper, but even then I'm much more about feelings than logic.

We live in a world that in a sense worships materialism and logic, at least it feels that way to me a lot of the time, and I don't do well in that world.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 4:44 pm

I have never been Lisa Simpson-ish before in my life, not even close. I am often Homer Simpson-ish. I think most of the time I am Marge Simpson-ish; anxious and sometimes intelligent on some things but not genius, just average really.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 5:25 pm

Yes, because despite being well informed on a wide range of subjects, the way in which I come across seems to indicate to many people that I'm in some way mentally slow or something

They hardly ever seem to relate to what I'm saying or the way I'm saying it so I prefer to communicate in writing

Even then, because I often have a different take on things to the majority view, people often don't relate to my thoughts and ideas so I might as well be stupid for all the notice that get's taken of what I say!

I do tend to avoid a lot of major problems in life though eg getting into debt, becoming a drug addict or an alcoholic, breaking the law, not having anywhere to live or living in a bad area, so I feel this indicates a certain level of practical intelligence that many seem to lack.

Essentially though, it's no good being intelligent if there's no one on the same wavelength to talk to! I face this problem a lot of the time.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 1:08 am

i've never felt intelligent, i was raised to believe i was only big and dumb and clumsy and stupid. :oops:

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2012, 1:17 am

oh! all the time