Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Saxgrrrl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2011, 4:21 pm

I found this and was excited. I was diagnosed as borderline asperger's and my brother is more extreme than I am, but I recognize many of the "symptoms" of AS in myself. Every time I've picked up a book about it or read an article, I pick out so many things that make sense to me and explain how I am.

As I've been going through the forums, I feel like I may seem to know how to socialize "normally" more than the people here. I do have trouble making friends, but I have just learned how to be polite and cordial, and people do not notice that anything is wrong with me, that I notice.

I try not to get obsessed with things because I have seen how my brother is ridiculed for it. I get very anxious when I'm in a place with lots of people, not claustrophobic, but lots of unorderly people with no sensical movement. I am perfectly fine in theaters, and amusement parks where it is open, but in closed spaces, like an overly filled Wal-mart, I would get a panic attack almost. I cannot handle long periods of social interaction, and certainly not high-energy interaction, without going and finding somewhere quiet where I can be by myself.

I enjoy being by myself, but I have noticed, and this is where I am concerned about not fitting in here, that many people here have a lot of difficulty with interacting with people. It has taken practice for me to learn how to act around people, and to me, when I am around people, they are the ones I am focused on, and I know how to be "polite" and how to act "normal" although it is ...acting.

Am I too "normal" for this? I consider myself AS, borderline, yes, but AS all the same.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2011, 4:24 pm

Saxgrrrl wrote:
I found this and was excited. I was diagnosed as borderline asperger's and my brother is more extreme than I am, but I recognize many of the "symptoms" of AS in myself. Every time I've picked up a book about it or read an article, I pick out so many things that make sense to me and explain how I am.

As I've been going through the forums, I feel like I may seem to know how to socialize "normally" more than the people here. I do have trouble making friends, but I have just learned how to be polite and cordial, and people do not notice that anything is wrong with me, that I notice.

I try not to get obsessed with things because I have seen how my brother is ridiculed for it. I get very anxious when I'm in a place with lots of people, not claustrophobic, but lots of unorderly people with no sensical movement. I am perfectly fine in theaters, and amusement parks where it is open, but in closed spaces, like an overly filled Wal-mart, I would get a panic attack almost. I cannot handle long periods of social interaction, and certainly not high-energy interaction, without going and finding somewhere quiet where I can be by myself.

I enjoy being by myself, but I have noticed, and this is where I am concerned about not fitting in here, that many people here have a lot of difficulty with interacting with people. It has taken practice for me to learn how to act around people, and to me, when I am around people, they are the ones I am focused on, and I know how to be "polite" and how to act "normal" although it is ...acting.

Am I too "normal" for this? I consider myself AS, borderline, yes, but AS all the same.

You don't sound any more normal than I am from this post. Anyway, not everyone here is even autistic at all.

Saxgrrrl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2011, 4:26 pm

Ganondox wrote:

You don't sound any more normal than I am from this post. Anyway, not everyone here is even autistic at all.

Maybe I should do a little more poking around then, shouldn't I? Thanks.