InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 10:19 am

Someone says "REM Behavior Disorder"

My brain says

"Yes! Yes!.....caudate nucleus......cingulate gyrus."

And a day later it adds "reticular activating system."

With no related thoughts telling me how or if these things are related. These are all things I once learned about in college, but no longer remember details of. It drives me crazy. Stuff like this happens all the time. Someone will say something and my brain just starts pulling out all kinds of stuff. But without any train of thought attached. Just...stuff.

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 3:18 pm

This sort of thing happens to me every day! Often, when I hear a word, I just space out and continually think of increasingly complex words until someone tries to speak to me which causes me to snap out of it.

mljt
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2012, 3:43 pm

Yes. I think about one thing and it's like all these other thoughts/words just fold out of it until I'm interrupted again.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 3:52 pm

Well, I am glad I am not alone, at least! :wink:

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 9:07 pm

Welcome to my world, my brain's like a poorly written wiki :bounce: :shaking2: :nerdy:

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 9:19 pm

I love those words! I enjoy word play and I am very happy to have experiences as such :D

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 11:04 pm

I wish!! I "forget" that kind of stuff almost as soon as I have "learnt" it. All those words you said are familiar to me, but could I come up with them on cue? Hardly ever.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 12:11 am

My mind is like a giant repository of usually useless knowledge. I can pull data from throughout my life when needed and oftentimes even remember where and when I acquired it. Sometimes I have difficulty remembering things though, so this is far from a hard and fast rule.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 12:20 am

Exactly. Or, I see something, and my brain pulls it out like index cards from a rolodex.

People either think you're smart or really nerdy when you start spouting out technical info about the topic at hand because your brain does this.

But, it helps on essay exams. Teachers think you're a walking encyclopedia. :D Maybe we are.

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 5:36 pm

I often can't remember how different words/terms/facts relate to each other in the meaning of the topic when thinking of them again, and have to look up the topic again. But when I look it up again, it seems so much familiar to me and I remember seeing it before. This difficulty is especially strong when I at least felt I had a shaky or incomplete understanding of it to begin with.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 6:10 pm

EstherJ wrote:
People either think you're smart or really nerdy when you start spouting out technical info about the topic at hand because your brain does this.

No one thinks I am smart. I am not spouting out technical information. I only pull words or discrete concepts that may or may not be relevant to the topic at hand. Not information. Just bits.

Unless you think I am smart, simply because I can say "reticular activating system!" LOL!

Like dalurker said. It's bits and pieces and I don't know how they are related.

I guess the only time it is helpful is sometimes in tests, I will know the right answer (like in multiple choice), not because I understand the content, but because my brain recognizes that two things are related, even if I don't know how they are related.

Sometimes I have the opposite problem. I can't pull anything. Or I'll say "I don't know, but I know it begins with an L" because all I pull is an L. 9 times out of 10, when I finally find the answer, it begins with L, but it is of little use to me to know that, because "L" is too large of a place to look.

Xena_Sophia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Sep 2012, 6:42 pm

I experience this quite frequently as well, but with factoids rather than words, usually.

For example, someone will mention Cleopatra, and I will start gushing random information from a book I have recently read about ancient Egypt, whether or not Cleopatra is involved at all.
Sometimes I start muttering strings of synonyms under my breath...

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 6:49 pm

I get this too I wont be able to stop thinking about it till I read about it or something.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 7:03 pm

I believe this is related to poor executive functioning. And yes, I frequently experience this.
I alost thought this was a post about Sense & perception in psychology.

Matthew

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 7:07 pm

Yes, it is probably related to executive dysfunction. I have plenty of that to go around.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 7:13 pm

I once tried to explain to my 3rd-grade teacher (c. 1966) why I 'daydream' so often ...

Well, you said 'Africa' and lions live in Africa and lions eat zebras which look like horses not race horses but horse with piano keys running with the wind on the day the tornado hit my uncle's barn where he had his antique truck that used to haul apples to the county fair where I got sick on the rides and had to go home and lay on the couch all day watching Secret Storm and Space Angel cartoons with my cat who keeps licking his ...

Stop that.

But you asked ...

Just stop it. Read a book or something. Who else can answer the question?

(... he's weird he's a dummy just look at him I bet he eats dirt he's so stupid ...)

I hate flashbacks.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.