Page 4 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Wycca
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Feb 2013, 12:53 pm

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that does this. When I was little I used to spell out sentences in my head usually multiple times before I realized what I was doing. It was usually after stressful conversations so I really think it was a kind of mental stimming for me.

Now a days it's usually just repeating phrases or parts of a song until I realize I'm doing it and make myself stop. Though I have had whole songs stuck in my head for days at a time before. One time I had 'It sure is Monday' on repeat in my mind and when I started humming it on friday a couple of my co-workers started giving me odd looks. :oops:

Muhammad
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jan 2014, 2:05 am

i think i got the solution :)
i believe when we are stressed.. it happens more
1.do the things that interests you.. coz your brain starts probably makes more cells when you do more activities. & get dull if you are trapped in the same boring job. May be an hour a day/week but do it.
2. at wake up time ( don't think of any Works)
3. b4 going to sleep (30mins) don't think of any works.. by work i mean tension giving work
4a. as these sounds continue don't try to chop them.. rather let the word/sentence finish & then take your mind away & try it not to be started
eg if the word that continues in your mind is "olalaa i am going" instead of chopping it "olalaa i/" let it to finish "olaalaa i am going" & now deviate your attention & speak something with your self
4b. Ignore it! while the mind is repeating .. you may go on making your routine " i would be doing this & after that this & that"
5.Games , try to play mind games
6.Socialize. talk to people .. share your experiences (this would help you
a.recalling past experiences
b. making you more critical
c. improving your communicaiton.

RikkiK
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jan 2014, 10:23 am

AHHHH YES

I assume I do it in place of the palilalia I experienced as a child. I was always made fun of so much for it at home, I worked really hard at the start of middle school to stamp out the whispers.

Now I save them for alone time or conscious stimming :)

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 12:55 pm

its more than likely Echolalia

i have had it my entire life, verbal Echolalia (of my own phrases) and mental Echolalia

usually people have it when there is a lack of understanding in the verbal communication

sometimes people use it as a way to calm down

in my case i use it to understand something,

very few times do i actually have control over it

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 1:10 pm

I repeat phrases mentally a lot.

Wreck It Ralph