Page 4 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

08 Feb 2007, 5:54 am

*two awards!*

I should make this into a Word file sometime. This actually was made quite some time ago! And yes, anybody can contribute to this.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 5:54 am

Sounds good.

Zhaozhou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2007, 5:59 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
I wanted to update it.

==Famous, or at least well known people with Asperger's or Autism, suspected or not==

I think Beethoven fits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beethoven

He never married, and had few love affairs. "Beethoven quarreled, often bitterly, with his relatives and others (including a painful and public custody battle over his nephew Karl). He frequently treated other people badly. He changed addresses often, and had strange personal habits, such as wearing dirty clothing even as he washed compulsively." Also he evidently had perfect pitch to keep composing music notwithstanding deafness. He is already suspected being an epilectic.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 6:40 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Aspie_Chav wrote:
To understand how aspies see the other people (NT) is often like what a white guy from Oxford would see a rough black man from Detroit. :lol:

Tha's true :) , sometimes you feel like writing an entire book to complain and express your feeling about it, y'know? I would've preferred it if you had posted that after I put up the post that I'll edit, but hey, no use complaining now, right? :)

Things to be added: Sense of Space, Lack of Social Requirements (hence the need for being alone more often), and hypersensitivity.

I wonder if generally black people are more likely to suffer from an extreme case of Neurotypical Syndrome.

I haven't noticed extreme NT Syndrome. My best friend is much more extreme AS than I am and she is a trust fund baby who is half black, Jewish and Bisexual. So where does that leave that theory?

One thing I do wonder about is any differences in how AS respond in different cultures. I wonder if that shapes how they respond to things because they learn to adapt to their environment to survive.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 1:15 pm

ZanneMarie wrote:
Aspie_Chav wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Aspie_Chav wrote:
To understand how aspies see the other people (NT) is often like what a white guy from Oxford would see a rough black man from Detroit. :lol:

Tha's true :) , sometimes you feel like writing an entire book to complain and express your feeling about it, y'know? I would've preferred it if you had posted that after I put up the post that I'll edit, but hey, no use complaining now, right? :)

Things to be added: Sense of Space, Lack of Social Requirements (hence the need for being alone more often), and hypersensitivity.

I wonder if generally black people are more likely to suffer from an extreme case of Neurotypical Syndrome.

Um. Youd do realize that you just made no sense. She would be a third of those, but then again, Black is a race, Jewish is a religion, and Bisexual is a sexuality....

I haven't noticed extreme NT Syndrome. My best friend is much more extreme AS than I am and she is a trust fund baby who is half black, Jewish and Bisexual. So where does that leave that theory?

One thing I do wonder about is any differences in how AS respond in different cultures. I wonder if that shapes how they respond to things because they learn to adapt to their environment to survive.

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 2:13 pm

Sherlock Holmes eh... from what i understand, he is a character, not a person.

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 11:38 pm

ZanneMarie wrote:
Um. Youd do realize that you just made no sense. She would be a third of those, but then again, Black is a race, Jewish is a religion, and Bisexual is a sexuality....

Technically, Jewish is a race, Judaism is a religion.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 1:38 am

Well, they obviously meant it as a religion.

mikh07
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 4:09 am

Nice, KBABZ

Some suggestions:

A person with AS....
can be very stubborn (probably goes with the whole interest thing)
usually have a knack for trivia (see "history of WP.net" as an example). and history and math, i suppose, probably history more so than math.
have trouble expressing facial expressions
are very loyal
have good vocabulary!
tend to take phrases/expressions/sarcasm/statements too literally (I do this on purpose, honestly! :))
may have social anxiety
are very polite (atleast I am)
loves a nice compliment (atleast I do) :lol:

Honestly, anyone that's a geek could possibly have AS.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

09 Feb 2007, 4:25 am

*award to mik*

I'll update it soon!

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 8:08 am

ping-machine wrote:
ZanneMarie wrote:

Technically, Jewish is a race, Judaism is a religion.

Hebrew is the race or whatever. Jewish refers to the religion. Jewish is to judaism as catholic is to catholicism.

Steve

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 8:50 am

mikh07 wrote:
Nice, KBABZ

Some suggestions:

A person with AS....
can be very stubborn (probably goes with the whole interest thing)
usually have a knack for trivia (see "history of WP.net" as an example). and history and math, i suppose, probably history more so than math.
have trouble expressing facial expressions
are very loyal
have good vocabulary!
tend to take phrases/expressions/sarcasm/statements too literally (I do this on purpose, honestly! :))
may have social anxiety
are very polite (atleast I am)
loves a nice compliment (atleast I do) :lol:

Honestly, anyone that's a geek could possibly have AS.

That used to describe me TO A TEE! Today I am less stubborn. I never had a chance to be GREAT at math, but have finally decided to fix any problems there.(I know, ABOUT TIME). The history is about almost anything BUT what I learned in school. Electronics, Computers, certain people, companies, economies, I know a LOT of history.
I am not as literal anymore. I love a compliment as long as I feel it is deserved, and not overdone. Some people sometimes compliment me on things I don't deserve to be complimented on, or overdo it, and I almost feel as if it is an insult, even though they DO mean the compliment. 8-(

Steve

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 5:38 pm

No one has mentioned Temple Grandin in the list of famous people with AS.

MosaicAvatar
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Feb 2007, 6:31 pm

Here's my personal list...

Difficulty recognising faces, or difficulty forming mental pictures.

I think in either images or words. I think that's a left brain vs. right brain thing, so that may explain why I can't think in both at the same time. If I actually try to create a mental image I often can't, but when I do succeed it fades very quickly. I have photographic memory of events as well as being able to repeat whole conversations verbatum... it's like having a video recorder in my head 8O

Extremely good at remembering long strings of numbers such as credit card or phone numbers. Ditto for acronyms, history, trivia, geography.

When I am focused I have a very good eye for details, but if I'm distracted I sometimes have to start a task over.

There's lots more I could add, but can't really think of them right now. Ok, it wasn't exactly a list but I hope these help... keep up the good work!! !

katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Sep 2016, 4:32 am

KBABZ wrote:
==History==
[Yet to be worked on and contributed to]

==Asperger's Terms==
:arrow: Aspie: Someone with Asperger's
:arrow: Autie: Someone with Autism
:arrow: NT: Neurotypical, generally means anyone who does not have Asperger's, but more specifically means anyone who is classed as neurotypical. In rants, NT means anyone Neurotypical who is lazy, inconsiderate, or just plain mean.
:arrow: Asperger's: Shorthand for Asperger's Syndrome. Preferrably used because Asperger's is not a Syndrome, more of a Neurological re-wiring. The name has yet to be changed to suit this.
:arrow: AS: Abbreviation of Asperger's Syndrome.

==Asperger's Traits==
These are the main traits to look out for, and not all of them can be present in an Aspie.

:arrow: Obsessions or very narrow interest range; which can range from Double-Decker Buses to Sephiroth, and have varying times of longetivity, from a few days or weeks, but most often several months or even years. Some obsessions can last as short as a few seconds (such as finding a certain item in the newspaper) to an entire lifetime. During this time, it can be very difficult to keep off the obsession, and yet when it wears off, the obsessor is often left wondering how they could be so obsessed over something like that.
:arrow: Social Awkwardness; Things like eye contact, sarcasm and any other non-verbal social cues don't come naturally, and must most often be taught in order to be picked up, rather than just mentally picked up. Due to the narrow interest range, Small Talk (also known as chatting about anything) can be a difficulty.
:arrow: Trouble with Dexterity; hand, finger and general body movement appears to be either clunky, sloppy, lazy, or something similar. This often leads to clumsyness. Despite this, many people with Asperger's don't have this characteristic and are able to do things like climb trees and Rock Climb quite well.
:arrow: Mental Age Difference; Often those with Asperger's tend to act younger or older than their age, due to child-like behaviours or strong logic senses and judgement. Most often these two ways of behaving occur at different times, so one could act like a ten year old one moment, and be very wise and judgemental the next.
:arrow: Emotional Instability: More specifically, a lack of control over anger, starting with confusion, and leading on to anger, fits of rage, and then what is known as a 'meltdown'. Can be stopped earlier in the proccess.
:arrow: A liking of Order; Having things organised and spelt out makes those with Asperger's more calm, and less prone to getting angry. When these plans change, or any sort of change happens, for that matter, it's like throwing a wrench into the workings of an Aspie's mind.
:arrow: A lack of Sympathy; Aspies can have a lack of sympathy around other and may appears selfish and incapable of relating to others. For example, if an Aspie's friend falls over and breaks his or her ankle, a person with Asperger's may not relate that his or her friends is in pain. They know that they have broken their ankle, but the seriousness of it all may not come through.
:arrow: A relation to animals; While not an accurate way of telling whether or not someone has AS, it is commonly found that Apires can relate to animals more than to other people. The reason isn't clear, but it probably has something to do with the mistrust of other people due to abuse, but also just because Aspies can't relate to people very well, and animals aren't people, are they?
:arrow: Hypersensitivity; Those with Asperger's can be highly sensitive to their senses of light, touch, sound and smell. This can be positive and negative, so for example, an Aspie could like certain smells more than most, or can not stand being in a place with bright lights. This can be in varying likenesses as well, so a person with Asperger's could like bright lights, hate smelling a wide range of smells, like loud noises and dislike being touched. Another strange related factor (in the negative area) is that some Aspies dislike things such as Flourescent lights and monitors on the 60 hertz refresh rate as it makes them feel nautious, and the cause is relatively unknown (as is a lot about AS).
:arrow: An odd sense of Space; People with Asperger's tend to have a different idea of a sense of space then most. For example, an Aspie would have a wider area of 'personal space' than an NT, and yet can sometimes inadvertedly stray into another persons 'personal space' and not realise that this would be socially awkward for the other person.

==Overview==
:arrow: =Order and Organisation=
Aspie's tend to like a sense of order and organisation. Often they make mental plans of what they'd like to do during the day. Most often when things don't go according to this plan, things go haywire and the Aspie will feel hurt and betrayed, and will get angry and upset. [Needs expanding on by an expert in the subject]

:arrow: =Overload=
Too much sensory input can become overwhelming and reduce an Aspie to a wide-eyed mute, barely able to move or function. Even if there doesn't appear to be a lot going on, sometimes all it takes is one thing - certain types of noise, light, even people. It feels like there's an internal volume control that just got turned up, so all the sensory input coming in is a lot more intense than it would normally be. It's overwhelming - it takes up all of an Aspie's attention so they can't think clearly or focus on anything else, and talking, moving and concentrating becaomes nearly impossible. Aspies are more prone to overload when they're tired or stressed, so even in the same surroundings, sometimes overload will kick in from the stimuli and sometimes it won't - it just depends on how well our nervous system can handle everything on that particular occasion. Because of the sensitivity to sensory information, an Aspie who dislikes being touched will lash out when touched by somebody, whereas someone who likes being touched will most likely find it relaxing (I don't know about that last one).

==Famous, or at least well known people with Asperger's==
~Sherlock Holmes
~Columbo (not sure where he comes from. A book, maybye?)

KBABZ, this list is great. I know it's a long time since you posted it, but for me (mum of a boy who's Aspergers, and recent astounded discoverer that I am cusp Aspergers too, at least according to the online questionnaire i did that is usually referred to here), this is exactly what I needed. There is so much confusion around this stuff, I've just read 'Neurotribes' which is great on the history and the origins of the terminology. I've just been informed that Aspergers is no longer in the DSM, which puzzled me but now I'm wondering, perhaps it's because it's not considered a disorder? Does anyone know anything about this?

Anyway it's pretty clear that the very best source of information about what Asperger's is, must come from the Asperger community itself. So thank you, thank you, thank you! to KBABZ for doing this, and also to all those who contributed :heart: