Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 9:08 pm

My parents are proof that the whole "refrigerator mother" theory is a load of crap. I grew up with the most loving parents anyone could ever wish for. I have always been very attached to my mom; she has never made me feel unloved.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 9:32 pm

^ I second that.

Invader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2012, 9:39 pm

So I guess that this means the excruciating agony invoked by certain sounds throughout my entire life was all just a dream.

It's a miracle. I'm cured.

(I don't usually like pointing out sarcasm, but, when in Rome, it is customary to do so. Meh... Italians...)

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 10:55 pm

Wow, it's Bettleheim's "refrigerator mother" all over again. Maybe someone should make the author aware of Bernie Rimland.

That's the problem with that type of psychological hypothesis -- it has the sound and feel of something that's plausible, and it doesn't employ the scientific method. I think that's why ideas like this tend to be 'rediscovered' over and over again. Proof is supposed to be the responsibility of one making the assertion, but IRL that doesn't always happen, so you have to come up with proof to counter the non-existent proof on the other side. And that (doing things scientifically) is harder.

How about we resurrect 'theories' about demonic possession, or having your soul stolen in childhood by faries and sprites? And TV. And the internet. And microwaved burritos. Those totally cause autism. I can just feel how true it is. :lol:

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2012, 11:09 pm

anarkhos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2012, 11:47 pm

Next he'll be talking about the four humors

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2012, 3:56 am

Whatever, I was/am one of the most well-loved kids ever, and I have an unshakeable sense of security when it comes to family. No two ways about it.

deathsign
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2012, 6:37 am

Joe90 wrote:
I wish it didn't exist.

this. very. much.

WORST PROBLEM: HAVING AS

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2012, 9:09 am

I've wondered about the refrigerator-mom theory, and in my ruminating ponder if this is seen often. That if a child that is diagnosed with asd has a statistically higher chance of having a mother who (to an outsider) appears to be cold and detached. And if there is a correlation between these two, that still does not imply causality, but a relationship. And what if, just perhaps, the mother is asd too, or at least close...

Then maybe it isn't the treatment of a cold, unaffectionate mother that is a cause, it’s the having a biological mother who is also asd….and ergo, inheriting it biologically.

Just ruminating out loud....

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2012, 9:28 am

anarkhos wrote:
Next he'll be talking about the four humors

Quite likely - many of the discussions are questioning why the titles "Dr" and "Clinical Psychologist" are not legally protected. It seems that this writer / therapist has chosen to use the titles, which add to his perceived authority, without much evidence that he is qualified to use them.

I assumed that a Clinical Psychologist would be employed in a health service diagnosing patients, or at least in regular clinical practice, but they say that this person is not.

lonerespite
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Feb 2012, 9:32 am

this theory of his as well what is happening in France all of it makes me quite sad, since i actually like psychology and even psychoanalysis but the way people out there just abuse all these theories its frankly irritating. the problem with psychoanalysis is also just that, that it is just so easy to go terribly wrong with it. alas! i guess when you blindly try to apply a knowledge system without trying to work it out by yourself it can have serious problems... in fact any knowledge system which gets too dogmatic is just another religion in the making....

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2012, 10:31 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXdlOj48SGs[/youtube]

9 minutes 11 seconds.

My thoughts exactly. :)

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2012, 12:41 pm

It is sad when someone writes so much rubbish and publishes it.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 12:13 am

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 6:51 am

Phonic wrote:
can-t-tell-if-serious-or-trolling

The article in the Examiner is serious. It continues a pet theme of the author that lack of love and nurture is the cause of virtually every ailment you could name - asthma and appendicitis to name two previous articles of his. However, unlike most psychobabble that newspapers print in their opinion sections, this article is in the health supplement and the author is labelled as "Ireland's leading psychologist" with the titles "Dr" and "consulting clinical psychologist". He also teaches parent-mentoring skills at university.

The Examiner had an editorial defending their freedom to publish and an "explanation" from Tony Humphreys on yesterday, with many letters. Only one letter supported him - "Augmenting his valuable commentary, he quotes rigorous research conclusions from seminal 2011 book by child psychiatrist Sami Timimi (et al), The Myth of Autism, which promotes that “there is no such thing as autism and the label should be abolished”. http://www.irishexaminer.com/news/well- ... 82901.html (There is another and quite different book called "The Myth of Autism" by Michael Goldberg claiming that autism is caused by viral inflammation).

There was enough outrage that it was featured on daytime radio yesterday (RTE1 Liveline).

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 9:22 pm

It sounds like he was French educated to me.