What happens if you clone an Autistic Person?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2016, 4:58 pm

I really REALLY want to do this experiment. You you were to clone yourself, would the clone be autistic??

And lets say we give the autistic clone a completely different environment or the exact same environment?

I know clones are just 100% genetic copies and does not determine how a person will act so their personality would be different, fears, prefrences but still i think it would be a good experiment.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2016, 5:05 pm

They might have a different personality, but they'd still have an autistic brain type. Many different kinds of flowers may grow from the earth, but the earth is eternal.

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2016, 5:12 pm

These experiments already exist. Look at all the experiments made with identical twins. They're technically clones. Heritability can be calculated that way.
Inheritability isn't perfectly calculated with identical twins though, mainly because of fetal environment. But fetal environment could be controlled only if artificial uteruses could be built.

greenylynx
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2016, 6:07 pm

That's a fantastic question.

My thinking is they'd still be Autisticly minded, but like Feyokien said the clone would likely have a different personality.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2016, 6:17 pm

Erased for insanity :mrgreen:

Last edited by Feyokien on 25 Feb 2016, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2016, 6:21 pm

Like Miss Algernon said in a sense the experiment has already been done via twin studies.

Trouble is the twin studies to date point in different directions. A California study in 2011 of 192 twins pointed to environment. A later bigger study done by Dr. Frazier using a nationwide data base analying 562 sets of both identical, and fraternal twins pointed to genes being the biggest factor. Its on a website by Interactive Autism Network (Im not good at posting links).

My guess is that autism is mostly genetic, or epigenetic. If they cloned you then your clone would also be autistic.

"environment" in the sense of what kind of family and what kind of parenting you get wouldnt effect it much. Environment in the larger sense of things like: pollution in your drinking water, polluting chemicals in the air, the age your parents were when you were conceived, or when your mom carried you, might have more effect. But they might effect you via effecting which of your genes get turned on, and off. Its a hard thing to unravel.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2016, 6:25 pm

I agree with the above. If you are autistic, your clone is autistic.

The environment then plays a role in how the autism is manifested, as stated above.