What rules do nts use about speed limits?

Page 1 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

scmnz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Apr 2012, 1:43 pm

I tend to drive within a range of 5 miles below to 5 above with the exact posted speed limit. This entire range seems to annoy other drivers, so im wondering what rule for speed nts use when driving. what is appropriate speed, what speed is one expected to drive at, as it seems fairly clear that the speed one is expected to go is NOT the actual speed limit.

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 2:04 pm

Driving within 5 mph of the posted speed is reasonable. Whatever speed you drive at, you will annoy someone. Don't worry about it.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 2:07 pm

You drive 5 miles below sometimes? I would like to usually drive at the speed limit, but it bothered other drivers, so I drive 5 miles above the speed limit.

and just a side note: it bothers me when people ask how people with autism are different from nt's in different ways. you mean non-autistic. But I digress, that is off topic. It is just the way that it is. People like to get away with what they can. When I just started driving I drove at the speed limit too. Granny driver's unite!

Last edited by Alexender on 08 Apr 2012, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 2:46 pm

That would drive me nuts if I drove. I would feel like I need to go at or below the speed limit.

I've been berated before on the forum for the mmorpg I play for not being able to "read between the lines" and know which rules aren't meant to be followed.

If it's a listed rule you must follow it and if no one needs to follow it the rule is pointless and needs to be changed or removed.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 2:58 pm

scmnz wrote:
I tend to drive within a range of 5 miles below to 5 above with the exact posted speed limit. This entire range seems to annoy other drivers, so im wondering what rule for speed nts use when driving. what is appropriate speed, what speed is one expected to drive at, as it seems fairly clear that the speed one is expected to go is NOT the actual speed limit.

The "unwritten" speed limit is +5 to +10 over the posted speed limit. Thats the speed that most people drive at, and the speed that no reasonable cop would ever write you a ticket for. So yeah, you are driving really slow. Generally you should just drive with the flow of traffic to avoid annoying other drivers.

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 3:08 pm

scmnz wrote:

This is not one of those read between the lines things. Its not an NT/autism issue.
Drive at or below the speed limit, thats the point of the speed limit. As long as you aren't being dangerous, drivers who get annoyed are idiots.

In the UK you can get fined for doing just 5miles over the speed limit. If an area is 30mps, theres a good reason. People who speed are selfish.

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 3:11 pm

Max000 wrote:
scmnz wrote:

The "unwritten" speed limit is +5 to +10 over the posted speed limit. Thats the speed that most people drive at, and the speed that no reasonable cop would ever write you a ticket for. So yeah, you are driving really slow. Generally you should just drive with the flow of traffic to avoid annoying other drivers.

Really? Theres no "unwritten" speed limit in UK. I guess our roads are very different.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 3:11 pm

NTs drive however they're comfortable at. You get some boy-racers who whizz way pass the speed limit (and most likely causes an accident), you get some people who just drive about 5mph over the speed limit, you get some who go at the correct speed limit, and you get some slower drivers (mostly ones who are nervous or new on the road). There is no ''NTs do this and Aspies do that''.

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 3:12 pm

Technically your speedometer could be not working correctly. 5mph over the speed limit could be 10mph or 5mph under could be 10mph under. So you might think your going at the speed your going, but do you have a gps system that’s telling you that your not going that speed & I know the gps works because I had the same Jeep before this one & it was perfect on speed, just this is a newer model.

Police have a buffer of about 5 or so over speed limit. Depends on area.

?When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.?

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 3:15 pm

TechnoDog wrote:
Technically your speedometer could be not working correctly. 5mph over the speed limit could be 10mph or 5mph under could be 10mph under. So you might think your going at the speed your going, but do you have a gps system that’s telling you that your not going that speed & I know the gps works because I had the same Jeep before this one & it was perfect on speed, just this is a newer model.

depends on the police officer. My stepdad used to be a cop and he went with 7 and over. He new a cop that went with 13 and over was speeding.

And in 'merca the speed limit is about 5mph over.

pastafarian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 3:26 pm

TechnoDog wrote:

Surely speed cameras dont depend on area? Or do you mean it depends on type of area, as in how much over you are as a % of the speed limit. You won't get away with >5mph over in a 30mph zone. And rightly too. Too many people just dont get that the energy increases with the square of the velocity and that really matters in residential areas.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 3:33 pm

Drive between the limit and 10k above- most people speed. But, go with the flow of traffic - if traffic is going a little faster or slower, just follow their lead. The trick is not to stand out.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 3:35 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
Drive between the limit and 10k above- most people speed. But, go with the flow of traffic - if traffic is going a little faster or slower, just follow their lead. The trick is not to stand out.

Just to point out he says he lives in the united states. 10k is pretty much 6mph in case someone needed a translation. Otherwise good advice :thumleft:

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 3:42 pm

pastafarian wrote:
Surely speed cameras dont depend on area? Or do you mean it depends on type of area, as in how much over you are as a % of the speed limit. You won't get away with >5mph over in a 30mph zone. And rightly too. Too many people just dont get that the energy increases with the square of the velocity and that really matters in residential areas.

Don't you think your been too literal of the speed limit & 5mph buffer is acceptable. Based on a speedometer error. As in a school zone, as I mean as depends on the area. Speed cameras that are not set up to the buffer, are just money making machines & anyone with legal sense, will rip the camera apart, once they examine it & find out it does not have a buffer zone.

Can't really be bothered to answer the last part. Other than I am paying attention not to run over someone or smash into someone’s car, etc.

Called just go slower than the speed limit, even if it says 30mph in a residential area, you don't do 30mph around a blind bend.

?When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.?

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 3:48 pm

TechnoDog wrote:
Technically your speedometer could be not working correctly. 5mph over the speed limit could be 10mph or 5mph under could be 10mph under.

Here in the UK the speedometer regulations for new cars pretty much force all speedos to read higher than your true speed. The allowed tolerance is roughly 10% over but 0% under (it is a bit more complicated than this but I can't be bothered to look up the formula). Generally manufacturers err on the high side because it makes you feel like the car is faster than it really is. 'Sporty' cars usually have speedos that read significantly high. Mine for instance reads pretty much exactly 10% over. At an indicated 70 I am actually doing about 62/63.

As far as the legal requirements go, I believe you are allowed 10% over. In that case I could drive at an indicated 85MPH on a 70MPH motorway with no fear of being stopped (speedo reads 10% over plus 10% tolerance). In practice I generally drive at an indicated 80 on motorways.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 4:02 pm

I stick to the 30mph/40mph speed limits. On the 50/60/70 I tend to follow traffic or go 10 to 20 over the limit. UK.

I'm a very observant driver, so I will adjust any speed to the traffic or perceived risks. So I won't do 40 past young children, even if the speed limit is 40.

for fun search for the autistic driving instructor on tube, in a section of that film she says out loud all her thinking. I do that too, but in my head

Jason