why is social interaction so exhausting?

Page 3 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2012, 4:42 pm

TARDIScompanion wrote:
knowbody15 wrote:
JCJC777 wrote:
I try not to systemise now, which means I find it less intense than I used to, but it is still such hard work.
Normally I hang on the outside of the group, being quieter, and only occasionally contributing.
Even so if I have more than a little interaction I begin to stop functioning.

Maybe it's exhausting because
a) I'm actually systemising and working my brain very hard, so my brain gets exhausted?
b) people just penetrate deep into my being somehow, and disturb me in all sorts of ways, which wipes me out? If so then maybe I could somehow let those people's impacts just go straight through me without touching? I don't know.
c) I am expecting too much of myself - to be able to contribute normally in an NT group - and thus I'm exhausting myself with over-high demands of my performance?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong - has anyone found a better way?

Any thoughts very welcome. Thanks

I know that when I start reading between the lines in a conversation, like trying to understand where the person is going with their comments are respond accordingly, like a chess game, it seems to throw off the flow of the conversation. It gets exhausting trying to stay on track. I think the idea of a mutual exchange, listening to someone, confirming what they are saying, and asking questions instead of telling something to someone, the flow of the conversation seems to go better, and becomes less exhausting?
I put a question mark because I'm just guessing about this, I think what I just said is true, but I'm not sure if I got it right.

no, I think you're right! But... let me put it this way.. I feel personally, rightly or no, that my mother TALKS AT me, rather than with me. then expects an answer that is full and rich and in-depth, like a good filling meal. But I cannot give her that. It's HER. I am sick of responding to her becaue she does this very thing, seh will talk AT you instead of with you and thne expect you to understand what she said like an NT. Then she explains the -process of understanding asperger's- to anybody ELse who wil llisten. at home though... she tends to expect yo uto read her mind when she doesn't even get undestood by NTs ahlf the time!

Let me put on my psychologist hat on for a second and respond (in a perfect world, I would literally have a hat that says "psychologist" on it) but maybe you're so used to trying to live up to your mother's standards of conversation, where you must understand her perfectly and then respond with brilliance, that you feel like you have to be this way with everyone? Perhaps?
I know with my dad, all he does it talk AT you and then expect you to totally understand him. Same thing right? Although I never really picked up on the idea that he needed to be understood, I always thought he would just say things, tell us we were wrong, and then walk away lol

Either way, we never understand the mutual exchange idea, we never recognize our own mistakes we make in "normal" conversation, and it becomes difficult for us. We're trained in the art of conversation by people who people who don't understand the art.

I'm thinking we have to seperate our experiences with our AS parents, and relearn the art of conversation.

So to bring this long winded response around.... :) maybe some of your exhaustion from conversation is the added emotional toll, the idea that your responses are never gonna be good enough (for your mom, or for my dad) so you're constantly trying to fight this "learned" inadequacy.....

TARDIScompanion
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Oct 2012, 5:23 pm

yeah dude, knowbody.... totally like that. we are probably all doing thesame thing, but since I suspect we are ALL THREE OF US ( THAT MEANS YOU AND DAD, MOM TAKE NOTE) we are all three unable ot see it. but we sure cna accuse and demoeniz the other two!

;)

exactly. i don't know why or how it happened except taht gradually I learned to predict certain things based on my excellent pattern-recognition software, as i put it. ;) but even with that self-taught tool of mine that I mentally scraped and bled and grovelled for through my own emotional/psychological/mental hell (which i am not in anymore thanks to gfcf diet and said tool) i do not get it right most of the time. I can only weep for the ones who never do at all.

;) let us lift them up with our thoughts and our wishes.

"What goes bang thud, bang thud, bang thud, bang thud, bang thud, bang thud, bang thud, bang thud, bang thud, bang thud, bang thud, bang thud, bang thud? - - -A Time Lord committing suicide." - Graffito the Prydonian.

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Oct 2012, 1:49 am

TARDIScompanion wrote:
yeah dude, knowbody.... totally like that. we are probably all doing thesame thing, but since I suspect we are ALL THREE OF US ( THAT MEANS YOU AND DAD, MOM TAKE NOTE) we are all three unable ot see it. but we sure cna accuse and demoeniz the other two!

I think you're saying that us as adults may be super critical on our parents, when we ourselves are guilty of the same behavior. This has been amazingly difficult for me to finally just give my parents a break, and not be so mad. We're all going through the same thing. I forgive you. I see these aspie traits in both my parents, and I'm like "oh s**t. they suffer too. They're just like me....

;)
Quote:
exactly. i don't know why or how it happened except taht gradually I learned to predict certain things based on my excellent pattern-recognition software, as i put it. ;) but even with that self-taught tool of mine that I mentally scraped and bled and grovelled for through my own emotional/psychological/mental hell (which i am not in anymore thanks to gfcf diet and said tool) i do not get it right most of the time. I can only weep for the ones who never do at all.

It sounds like you were using your brain to try and figure out how to converse. But you still suffered....what was your mental hell, if I may ask, that seemed to require you to suffer?

And I like you altruistic desire to lift up other people's spirits with our thoughts and wishes. Our brains were made to solve complex issues. Helping people out with shared knowledge is the bees nees..... :)

itzybitzyspyder
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Oct 2012, 2:19 am

People look at me hard, too. I can see what people mean about stuff they are saying, but sometimes already know what they're gonna say. I have to wait til they say it before I can talk again. I'm really bad about interrupting. I've gotten better. I've got people figured out to a science, but can only just see itno the crack of the door when it comes to being normal. I fit in with weird people. It helps that I smoke weed, though. Common ground and makes me mellow. Less anxious, at least.

JCJC777
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2012, 5:51 am

some really good comments and ideas here - thanks
e.g.
- telling our ideas and perceptions to other people just does not work (even though they are obviously brilliant ideas and perceptions lol)
- sticking to non-stressful interests of the NT's we are talking too seems the safest way to proceed (although very boring)
- expecting too much of ourselves causes even lower performance; don't expect much!

maybe we can all experiment with these and other approaches, and report back...

TARDIScompanion
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Oct 2012, 10:00 am

knowbody15 wrote:
TARDIScompanion wrote:

I think you're saying that us as adults may be super critical on our parents, when we ourselves are guilty of the same behavior. This has been amazingly difficult for me to finally just give my parents a break, and not be so mad. We're all going through the same thing. I forgive you. I see these aspie traits in both my parents, and I'm like "oh sh**. they suffer too. They're just like me....

;)
Quote:

It sounds like you were using your brain to try and figure out how to converse. But you still suffered....what was your mental hell, if I may ask, that seemed to require you to suffer?

And I like you altruistic desire to lift up other people's spirits with our thoughts and wishes. Our brains were made to solve complex issues. Helping people out with shared knowledge is the bees nees..... :)

m y god, when i look back on it now, it was literally just carving a way out of my own head-maze. ( hedgemaze.) now I am sitting on the top ofa hedge, and I cna dance on em. HAHAAH. but it took my entire childhood and most of my life up to a couple years ago to finalyl realize and fix and clean out all this junk. if I didn't ahve such bad memory probelms in some ways, i could clean out even more by remembering things by my sensation classification techniques.. I think this term called cognitive? mapping is lie this, but i keep forgettting to look it up. i figured it out god damn it, mostly on my own, becuase my mparents didn't beleive me and i felt like they were frightening in their disbelief and ridicule and anger. they love me, but.. i felt they were strangers because they wre not -with- me, understand? so I did it on my own, with their help when they were helpful, hiding myselffomr them when tehy werent. Ir thought and thought and thought and found the corners and walls of my box, and I decided to work on it, to turn around and stare that mutha in he face and say f**k YOU I GOT ME A SWORD b*****s WHO WANTS SOME?

it was lik a light went off, trying to flicker on for so long becuase i was always in such a fog. over time, i learned to go toward that light, and gradually, i learned things to help me through trial and error and fear of fear. i am much muchbetter now becaue of this, and i invite anyone who wishes it to ask me about how it hapepned, and I will answer if I can. but, as with alk experience, it is hard t explain such a personal set of stimulations. But, I wil ltell anyone who asks, becuase it helped me greatly and it might be able to help the peopel who ask me, too. I tell anybody who want to know, becuase I feel that strongly about this.

I could maybe write about it professionally I suppose, but that's the problem. I need guidance/assistance, being a good writer but still finding gaping aspie holes in my ability, and I feel my parental units are in the way of my much needed mental down time, as I have always felt. my mother keeps emotionally doging me for attention I will not and maybe cannot give her, and i feel trapped by her needs, and so I feel like I cannot focus on my work as I want to desperately, cannot explore becuaes my mind is always on what she might be doing. I avoid her so much. hopefully this will be transformed into a muteable situation soon, through my own efforts and/or those of the universe. i adore my parents, but I think that a part of me NEEDs DESPeRATLE to live away form them so I can concentrate properly. peopel say they love my writing NOW, just wait till i canget the mental rest I need! YOU JUST WAIT WORLD! I;m COMING!! !

;) okay, now everybody smile nad hug!! !! ( ooo I just entered into good mood land without realizing it, oh I'm so happy now! I was all cursey fora few days because of wierd head feelings, my head was insanely hot and i couldn;t think. ;()
anywa,y anybod ywho wnats to know how I -did it and try to make their own map of sensations, as I call it, to become aware of your headmaze, go ahead and contact me. I am waiting. be aware though, that I wil ltalk SO MUCH for a while, and then drop off. i get exhausted even using email every day! ;) (If I had my way, i would be mostly nonverbal)

good luck to everybody!! !! ;))))))))
also, asI say in al my posts, these are my steam of consciousness and my dyspraxia and I guess it's called, learned dyslexia???? is kidna bad and getting worse for some reason sometimes, I would say it was age but so quickly? really? but that's not important. what i am saying is, my writing is first class, and not like my worm-eaten posts at all, so rejoice! hee hee happy smiles!

"What goes bang thud, bang thud, bang thud, bang thud, bang thud, bang thud, bang thud, bang thud, bang thud, bang thud, bang thud, bang thud, bang thud? - - -A Time Lord committing suicide." - Graffito the Prydonian.

TARDIScompanion
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Oct 2012, 10:18 am

knowbody15 wrote:
TARDIScompanion wrote:

I think you're saying that us as adults may be super critical on our parents, when we ourselves are guilty of the same behavior. This has been amazingly difficult for me to finally just give my parents a break, and not be so mad. We're all going through the same thing. I forgive you. I see these aspie traits in both my parents, and I'm like "oh sh**. they suffer too. They're just like me....

;)
Quote:

Also, I am so sorry I wnet on and on adn forgotto actually answer your question. ehre you go!

Um, duh... hold on a minnute I forgot.

Oh ys, it was a fog of epic proportions, caused partly due to possible parental unit interference, food allergies and vitamin deficiencies nad depression. it was so scary, being all aloen in teh dark of my own mind.

I often desrcribe my kind of aspie 9 and maybe this works for all of us aspies and those with applicable conditions?) as being in a darkened attic. you can see the dust void outlines of things that used to sit in the attic, or things that shodl, but oy ucannot determine their true shape from just the void in the dust. you could be staring at the square dust void and think any number of things about what sat there, knowing only that it hd a square base and nothing else. do you understand that symbolic imagery I am using?

My memory was SO BAD in some ways, I could not remember ANYTHING AT ALL in some ways, it was maddening, i could not remember so many important things and would always get yelled at for not trying hard enough. ;( i was always depressed. deeply, troublingly depressed. I even thought I was going to hell for impulse-control disorder! stealing soem buttons form a coat when I was ten in a store. i could not stop myself, i tried so hard, but the I got distracted (ADHD) and just did it anyway. i could not keep myself online long enough to prevent anything badfomr happening, not even losing my memory. But I worked at it. and my god, i got better! i am SO proud of myself nad i hope that other people find how I did it useful in their lives.

three months later afte i fixated on and therefore stole the buttons, i was SO overcome with the guilt over what i couldn't help but do that I went crying ot my parents saying I thougt Iwas going to hell. they comforted me, but they had that wierd laugh... like, oh isn't this cute? when they really shouldn't have. i despise being patted on the head eomtionally, as though I am a drooling idiot. that does nto sit well with ym libra justice-o-meter of justice at all. ;( but anyway, I then realized aftergetting it all out with them not relaly helping as much asthey beleived theywere O>O that I did not believe in hell as i once did. this, too, was a needful revelation for my well-being.

I used my aspie visual nature (which is impaired for me, TOO, I feel, becuae I even have problems translating things into visuals from direct sensation!! ! becuae I guess that sensation is the foundation, and THEN you get visual/verbal? that;s what it feels liek to me O.O) to create images i could use as safeties and pathways in my head, and it helped that I read a lot of science fiction ad a book by Wayne Dyer called 'Your Errogenous Zones' or something like that. I learned to move headaches in my head, by identifying sensations and then altering them. I then applied this training to the rest of my body, and foudn that I could limit the (i didn't know it then but I do now) caffeine-induced Restless LEg syndrome to JUST my legs, instead of my entire body like it used to do. I think i cna even do that body temperature thing where yo ucan alter that a few degrees. bit not enough to make a real difference. ;( still working on it though!

i guess maybe my techniques, are, ina way, teaching your brain to multi-task in the only way it can ( doesn't work for everything, sadly) through indirect means and careful mental documentation and filing of sensations and the differences therein.

does that make sense?

i worked hard with myself, because what little empathy I possess ( and i am an empath so this is a funny and strange contradiction, but then agian I AM a libra/virgo/scorpio, so) I was afraid of going mad and hurting people due to my allergic/ aspie?? rages and meltdowns. That tends to be a great motivator. personally, whenever I get confused about who is the -bad one- in the household, i remember all the things I did to try to be abetter person, and what I KEEP doing.. most likely bad or good don't really enter into it, adn i stil lget confused sometimes, but not NEARLy as much as before. i just keep to my diet and it's so much better.

Basically, at a glance, it's like Sinatra said in taht song.

"I Did it My Way."

And you can too, I hope! Here's to everybody making it!

dang it, HAHAhi almpst forgot to tahkn you for your forgiveness!

thank you very much. It means a lot to me. Evne if I can;t feel it properly right now. I forgive you too, sweetie. I'd forgivethe world if they'd let me. does that sound silly? hee hee well too bad, they'vegot me anyway! ;)

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Oct 2012, 2:27 pm

Tardiscompanion, You’re like a mad scientist, which is a total compliment. For anybody who feels bad about how they function in public, the weird perceptions we may have, or overwhelmed at the inconsistent nature of all this, meaning, for example, I may seem like an idiot, or do or say things in an unorthodox fashion, but I’m probably 5 steps ahead of you…..or completely clueless lol…. When I’m feeling bad, I try to see myself as the mad scientist……

I like your hedgemaze imagery…..I often think regular people’s thinking process is in a straight line. “This” happens, then “this” happens, then “this” happens, the end.

But for us, it’s like: “This” happens, then over here, “that” happens, but “that” gets misinterpreted with “the other thing” and then the “other thing” gets forgotten, and now I’m sleepy…. lol

In your imagery, you’re on top of the hedgemaze, as in, the maze still exists, you’re just in control of it. Or somewhat in control…. I can relate to that.

I just looked up dyspraxia and holy smokes! It’s one of those things where I read it, and was like “oh yeah, I do this, and that” all to somewhat mild degrees. Sensitivity to pain, clumsiness, anxiety…the whole sensory processing disorder….. never in my life have I had a problem with left and right until recently at work, I was shocked when I realized I had been mixing up left and right with a specific activity that I was supposed to do.

Difficulty remembering the next movement in a sequence….this happens all the time at work as well. I figured it was an attention deficit thing, like when words just drop out of my head.

But anyway, back on topic here…. You talk a lot about your mom, and you mention getting out of the house, which probably would be a good thing, but maybe you’re mom doesn’t want you to go? Is she the kind of mom who is always judging and saying you’re not good enough (she might not actually say this, but her words and actions might imply this?) I think I remember you mentioning that she’s always expecting you to brilliantly interpret her words.
OR
Is she the mom who is emotionally needy, and makes you the grown-up who she always needs to solve her problems? You’re mom is probably not this one……

Oh, and you mention stealing the buttons….your folks had a weird laugh, maybe they laughed because they knew it wasn’t a big deal, and were relieved that you at least felt remorse. What they didn’t see was that it really bothered you…..I think I see a common thread in many of us that we beat ourselves up over stupid things, we are our own worst critics…..

And if it makes you feel better, I think every kid goes through a stealing phase, I used to steal gum from the drug store, and did some cat burglar stuff when I was a kid. Getting in and out of somewhere without being seen or leaving a trail was thrilling. I was too unaware and focused to even consider the pain of my actions. But I stopped all that business when I turned 18 and now consider myself a very moral, law abiding citizen ☺

But we’re both leaving novel sized responses, I don’t want to thread jack here….but people, extract knowledge from these rants ☺

TARDIScompanion
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Oct 2012, 2:51 pm

knowbody15 wrote:
Tardiscompanion, You’re like a mad scientist, which is a total compliment. For anybody who feels bad about how they function in public, the weird perceptions we may have, or overwhelmed at the inconsistent nature of all this, meaning, for example, I may seem like an idiot, or do or say things in an unorthodox fashion, but I’m probably 5 steps ahead of you…..or completely clueless lol…. When I’m feeling bad, I try to see myself as the mad scientist……

I like your hedgemaze imagery…..I often think regular people’s thinking process is in a straight line. “This” happens, then “this” happens, then “this” happens, the end.

But for us, it’s like: “This” happens, then over here, “that” happens, but “that” gets misinterpreted with “the other thing” and then the “other thing” gets forgotten, and now I’m sleepy…. lol

In your imagery, you’re on top of the hedgemaze, as in, the maze still exists, you’re just in control of it. Or somewhat in control…. I can relate to that.

I just looked up dyspraxia and holy smokes! It’s one of those things where I read it, and was like “oh yeah, I do this, and that” all to somewhat mild degrees. Sensitivity to pain, clumsiness, anxiety…the whole sensory processing disorder….. never in my life have I had a problem with left and right until recently at work, I was shocked when I realized I had been mixing up left and right with a specific activity that I was supposed to do.

Difficulty remembering the next movement in a sequence….this happens all the time at work as well. I figured it was an attention deficit thing, like when words just drop out of my head.

But anyway, back on topic here…. You talk a lot about your mom, and you mention getting out of the house, which probably would be a good thing, but maybe you’re mom doesn’t want you to go? Is she the kind of mom who is always judging and saying you’re not good enough (she might not actually say this, but her words and actions might imply this?) I think I remember you mentioning that she’s always expecting you to brilliantly interpret her words.
OR
Is she the mom who is emotionally needy, and makes you the grown-up who she always needs to solve her problems? You’re mom is probably not this one……

Oh, and you mention stealing the buttons….your folks had a weird laugh, maybe they laughed because they knew it wasn’t a big deal, and were relieved that you at least felt remorse. What they didn’t see was that it really bothered you…..I think I see a common thread in many of us that we beat ourselves up over stupid things, we are our own worst critics…..

And if it makes you feel better, I think every kid goes through a stealing phase, I used to steal gum from the drug store, and did some cat burglar stuff when I was a kid. Getting in and out of somewhere without being seen or leaving a trail was thrilling. I was too unaware and focused to even consider the pain of my actions. But I stopped all that business when I turned 18 and now consider myself a very moral, law abiding citizen ☺

But we’re both leaving novel sized responses, I don’t want to thread jack here….but people, extract knowledge from these rants ☺

awesome that it resonated for oyu, man. totally awesome.

Well, my mom is constantly asking for my attention and validation of her projects (I cannot give her this anymore i am sick of her asking and just burned out on practically everything she asks me)... until i eventually get pissed and ignore her. then she will either make unhappy noises all the time and ruin my day with what i call her whinging or plot revenge for later by being extra sweet to me. i do not plot serious revenge really, so this is insane behaviour to me. explainig that i need more timeto myself doesn;t work, because she will give me more time and then just fall right back into her habit of pretending to give me what i want but really getting waht she wants instead. I am probably seeing this all wrong and am not as put upon as I feel, but for the life of me, i can't see it any other way. ;)

I am a mad scientist? why yes, that DOes suit me, thank you so much! that is too awesome, and makes me happy. Reminds me of how much i like Washu from Tenshi, and the Doctor, of course. heh. i am very much like them in a way. but not with math.. i ahve big problems with math, so only at certain times when i am -more male- am i good with math. but yea,h we could write a book here... we almost have!! ; sorry y;all!

StuckWithin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Oct 2012, 3:30 pm

JCJC777 wrote:
a) I'm actually systemising and working my brain very hard, so my brain gets exhausted?

I'd say that's true for me.

It's a combination of (1) systematizing, but also (2) really wanting a positive outcome (acceptance by others) and (3) having no clue what the right thing to say or do is, and worrying terribly about it.

I experience all of that, and it exhausts me severely. Usually I just buck up and put up with the exhaustion, as a "normal" part of my life. What else can one do.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2012, 6:11 pm

I don't have an answer to offer but I get SO exhausted from social interaction. First I get nervous energy and agitation after interaction......replaying parts of it my mind and going over my own and others responses. Then I am over tired and can't sleep until, really late......then sleep in really late the next day and am out of it for the whole next day. Social anxiety SUCKS!

TARDIScompanion
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Oct 2012, 6:15 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
I don't have an answer to offer but I get SO exhausted from social interaction. First I get nervous energy and agitation after interaction......replaying parts of it my mind and going over my own and others responses. Then I am over tired and can't sleep until, really late......then sleep in really late the next day and am out of it for the whole next day. Social anxiety SUCKS!

yes, it does. it's annoying, but we deal with it. one day things will be better! ;)

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Oct 2012, 6:27 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:

I'm already feeling self conscious about posting too much today, and being hyper focused on this thread, and I feel the need to justify to everyone who is judging me(no one is actually judging me) but I do need to say that I work tonight, and have nothing to do today, so....:)

With that said, this right here: "replaying parts of it my mind and going over my own and others responses." I do this too, and it drives me insane.....it comes and goes, and usually coincides with meeting new people, or dealing with people I don’t know too well,…and they replay like movie clips, over and over…. And I downright hate it, and shake an angry fist at my brain and my experiences growing up, all which has shaped me…….

Although it helps to say to myself, :"I dont know the answers, I don't know what someone else thinks, I am who I am, and most likely, the "transaction" that occured between me and another person that I'm obsessing about, probably went smoother than I think, and I doubt the other person is thinking about it like I am.......

Is there an emoticon for “shaking an angry fist?”

TARDIScompanion
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Oct 2012, 6:36 pm

... that is an awesome idea, knowbody. SOMEBDOY MAKE ONE COZ I CAN'T!

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2012, 6:48 pm

knowbody15 wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:

With that said, this right here: "replaying parts of it my mind and going over my own and others responses." I do this too, and it drives me insane.....it comes and goes, and usually coincides with meeting new people, or dealing with people I don’t know too well,…and they replay like movie clips, over and over…. And I downright hate it, and shake an angry fist at my brain and my experiences growing up, all which has shaped me…….

Although it helps to say to myself, :"I dont know the answers, I don't know what someone else thinks, I am who I am, and most likely, the "transaction" that occured between me and another person that I'm obsessing about, probably went smoother than I think, and I doubt the other person is thinking about it like I am.......

Is there an emoticon for “shaking an angry fist?”

It's the perseveration.........you're mind is like a stuck video playing the same scene over and over again! I do try to force myself to think rationally, like you said the other person probably let it go ages ago and it wasn't as bad as it seemed in my mind.........but.......it's still hard to get the tape to turn off or move it along from that sticky point...................

TARDIScompanion
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Oct 2012, 7:09 pm

haHA! THANK YOU!! !! so it's a loop, for sure, huh?
I know loops.. i can do loops.. i kicked their ass before! AHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

it sure pays off to kno thy enemy.

thank you so much!

-bounds away to do battle-