Page 1 of 8 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

RedHogRider
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jul 2013, 6:13 am

This will mean nothing to most that use this, but hopefully it will cause some to think.

I came to Wrong Planet hoping to find a place of acceptance, but it is no different here, even in this anonymous world. Where we, as aspies, should be united, I have observed nothing but bickering, bigotry, and bullying. I get enough of that in the real world; I do not need to seek it out in cyberspace.

The straw that broke the camel’s back was a thread I started asking about resources for Christian aspies. For those of us that share the Christian faith, having Asperger’s presents different challenges. I was hoping to find others who are like-minded. I posted “Christian aspie resources” on the Politics, Philosophy, and Religion forum and clearly outlined the purpose of the thread. Only one individual posted something edifying, the rest turned it into a place of bickering and bigotry.

It’s really sad and pathetic that even in cyberspace that a downtrodden group of outcasts can’t get along. I do not need to add any more bickering, bigotry, or bullying to my life, so I’m done with Wrong Planet. This place is not worth it.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

03 Jul 2013, 6:23 am

If it helps, PPR is basically the worst place for that, and the tone there does not reflect the tone everywhere. This forum, Members Only DIscussion, or In-Depth Adult Life Discussion are some places where it would have possibly received more useful and more supportive responses.

PPR itself is a debate subforum, so anything posted there will attract debate, for good or ill.

Illuminated
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Jul 2013, 6:35 am

I've always related myself to neurotypicals as feeling like an alien compared to them, I have wondered many times what a housing community would be like of only people with aspergers/autism and wondered if everyone would be friends and the whole neighborhood would be sitting around a pool sipping martinis without judgement but chances are it would feel like just as much of an unempathetic place as usual. :lol:

It's pretty sad though, I get what you're saying, we all have at least something in common and that thing in common is a pretty huge thing because it influences every one of our lives on a daily basis so we should be able to feel at least some sympathy for each other even if we don't agree about everything.

I have not been here long but overall it seems like a much more mutually respective place compared to many other online communities I have been to though. Neurotypicals can be very ignorant and cruel to one another, not just us.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 6:47 am

Autism/AS coexists with a wide variety of personalities, political views, religous views and affiliations, etc.

We are no more guaranteed tio get along than other people. After all, we are supposed to have "impaired social interaction" and to "lack empathy" (well, cognitive empathy, maybe) - doesn't that suggest that we mightn't always get along in an edifiying and supportive way?

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 6:56 am

I agree with the above posters. That is exactly why I NEVER read/post in PPR...

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 7:13 am

I'm so sorry you have experienced this attitude. I agree there are certain members with bad attitudes, but you have to just stand your ground against them or ignore them. Don't let their attitudes drag you down or run you off. Like you say, in IRL this behaviour exists too, and you can't run away from that (unless you live like a self-subsistent hermit), so why avoid online communities?

I have seen there are other members who are Christians so even though they are probably not the majority, you will come up against like-minded people. Just learn to filter out the bad-ass ones.

The two worst traits I see on WP, are academic snobbery and the argumentative type who just want to inflame and don't know what they are talking about. Just don't respond to those posts if you don't want to.

As you are a Christian, maybe you need to work harder on the "turn the other cheek" or "let he who is without sin..." or the attitude that we are all God's children aspects? I don't mean that in a facetious or sarcastic way, and I don't know how devout you are, but isn't that how Christians are supposed to be? They aren't my personal beliefs but I don't practice religion. Those aspects might help you to see their behaviours in a different light.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 7:19 am

LMAO. Believe it or not, people with Asperger's are human, too.
The problem is you came in here putting us on a higher moral ground, and with objectification.

We share your symptoms in most cases yes but that also in many cases is about as much in common as some people on WP have with you. These people will otherwise independently (just like you) form their own inner circles, interests and might not always want to be your friend or tell you things directly. Such is life.

I admit I found your post hilarious but don't get me wrong, I only want to tell you how it is and hope you come back with a bit more awareness. WrongPlanet has been very helpful to me and I've made some good acquaintances through it. I hope the same will eventually happen for you.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 7:19 am

Verdandi wrote:
PPR itself is a debate subforum, so anything posted there will attract debate, for good or ill.

^ This.

If the OP didn't want a debate about the issue he should have posted to Members or The Haven.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 7:21 am

I agree too, and I really, really don't blame you. There are some horrible people on here who give no thought to those who have a hard life and who could have many problems including depression and suicidal tendencies. Not that I'm one of them, but I would've thought people would be damned more careful and considerate, rather than carelessly throwing awful comments at others.

And the moderators even support it sometimes because they view a put-down as just an opinion, even if it's a personal attack that's *completely* unrelated to the topic. There's a lot of crap here which is beyond belief. I really don't know how people can sink so low, especially as I'm sure most people on this site have enough bullying and other crap IRL to deal with, and really don't deserve the sh!t on here that those bullies come out with.

I've quit this place a couple of times for a few months each time. However, I do find things on here useful sometimes, and most of the members here try to be friendly and helpful. It's just those few.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 7:29 am

I've just had a glance at the thread in question; the posts between the members in the thread do seem a bit more aggressive than normal - even for the debate forum. The responses the same opening post of a thread will attract are very much dependent on which forum it is posted in; as the OP is relatively new he maybe wasn't aware of this and just saw the word "Religion" on the sub-forum title and was not aware of the debate nature of that forum. Members in PPR are given much more reign of free speech than in the other forums.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 7:31 am

Everything has positive and negative sides. Nothing and no person is perfect.

You could stay and gain from the benefits of the site while recognising that one of the negatives is some members here vent at each other and use the site to attempt to rectify imbalances in their own lives.

I had a look at your thread and you have been a victim of 2 or 3 members who like a scrap and usually ignore any response that does not fit into their concepts and therefore appear arrogant.

I feel a more appropriate post in the 'Getting to Know You' section would be to warn new members of what happens in PPR but it's your choice.

If you leave I feel that will be your loss but good luck whatever you choose.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

03 Jul 2013, 7:43 am

All posts made to two of the three other identical copies of this thread (one having received no replies) have been moved here.
The other copies have now been removed.

Kelspook
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2013, 8:16 am

I also had a very negative experience with the PPR forum when I first came here. I don't go anywhere near it now- there are a minority who post there who's only goal in life appears to be centred around the mantra of "You say black, I'll say white, and give the impression that I beleive you're an idiot."

Just stay out of there, it's a nasty place.

Good luck in your search for resources. I'm not a Christian as such, so I'm afraid I can't help. Sorry.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 9:03 am

That topic doesn't look so bad compared to some other exchanges you can find here (and those you can find here are so harmless compared to the uncontrollable anger you will find in most other places on the internet when religion is brought up). I guess this is what happens when a forum gathers people who tend to stay away from confrontation.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 11:59 am

I agree with the OP that there is too much bigotry, bullying, and the other B words on WP.

I agree with everyone else that most of that is located in the PPR forum, and that there were other forums that have to do the life support resources that you shouldve posted that in.

So- give WP another try. But avoid the PPR ( unless you get in the mood to bludgeon someone).

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2013, 12:04 pm

I can't say I've ever posted in the PPR forum before (General Autism Discussion, Random Discussion, and Other Mental Health Conditions are my usual WP hangouts) but I'm sorry things went so badly there. I've been here for a couple years now, and I've found WP to be an okay place to vent, discuss things, and talk about special interests, and the the majority of people I've posted with/talked to seem pretty friendly. You might find nicer folks in the other subforums I mentioned. :)

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes