Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

mycats
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2012, 7:49 pm

I have Aspergers Syndrome. I don't think society understands it. Autism awareness has been about curing a disease. Autism awareness has not been about the strengths of Autism and bullying awareness. I would like to be able to say I have Aspergers without fearing that the average person has a skewed perception of it. When society does not have a clear definition of it then it becomes a negative label.

I think I am an Indigo child. I know that a lot of Autistics don't believe that they are. I believe I am and I want to find other Autistics that believe they are an Indigo.

I am interested in spiritual stuff. I believe in the possibility of reincarnation and that I chose to live on this planet before I was born here. What was I thinking? This planet is insane. I absolutely believe that humans are insane. I cannot, WILL NOT, conform to insanity. I am outnumbered and persecuted by humans that believe I am insane.

I was born in 1966. If I chose to live on this planet, it must have been because I liked what was happening here at the time with the Beatles and the atmosphere of the 60s.

McAnulty
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jun 2012, 8:15 pm

I agree society has the wrong perception of what Autism really is. I hate mentioning my son has Autism and getting the whole "oh, I'm so sorry" thing in this really pitying tone, as if it were like saying that my son is some kind of horrible disease or something. I feel like screaming at them to stop pitying him. He is completely unique and not just "Autistic". I like to see him as having a learning disability. He needs some help learning some things, just like people with dyslexia need some extra help, but that doesn't mean his life is a tragedy. It doesn't mean that he's not smart, or that he doesn't love us, or that he doesn't enjoy his life or that he can't achieve great things. He has to work a little harder than most, and that sucks, but he isn't defective, he's awesome.
I try to teach anyone who will listen about what Autism is and what it isn't. There are so many misconceptions, so many doom and gloom views. So many seem to equate it with intellectual impairment which is so far from the truth. If I hear one more time that people with Autism are "in their own world" or "not interested in anyone other than themselves" I just might explode. I'm tired of difficulty with social and communication skills being equated with a lack of interest in anyone. I can't wait for the day where everyone can see the potential and intelligence and strengths that my son, and all people with Autism have.
If we all tried to educate a few people around us, we could live to see the day where Autism is accepted as a difference that requires support and nurturing instead of something to be defeated.