How long does it take you to recuperate after a social event

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 7:17 pm

from physical exhaustion, only a day or two. From emotional exhaustion? A week. Minimum. Longer if it was unpleasent.

Matthew

LadyIdril
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2012, 7:35 pm

It usually takes me a day or two to recuperate. Maybe 3-4 if I've had to spend a few days in a row really socializing a lot, since it's a lot more draining.

I don't know if anyone else is like this (and please tell me if you are or aren't), but it feels like I have a limited amount of energy to expend on or tolerance for the busy world around me as if it's in a well that I'm drawing from. Once it gets close to being empty, the more I don't feel like talking and I develop a headache and an upset stomach. If I overdraw from that well, which basically means I'm running on empty, then I feel like I need to get out NOW and run for the nearest spot that's quiet and alone, usually a restroom, so I can recuperate at least enough to get home. For me, various factors can affect how much is being drawn from the well: socializing, being in large groups, stressful situations, loud and chaotic places, etc.

The kicker is that the amount that's drawn always varies from day to day and I can never accurately predict how much a certain activity or event will take. I can tell when I'm running close to empty, but that's it. And usually it hits me all of a sudden right before I'm about to run on empty, rather than gradually, though a few times I was able to see it coming during the activity or event.

Is anyone else like this?

"Autism: it's not a processing error, just a different operating system."

Xena_Sophia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2012, 7:38 pm

For me, if it is a day at school, I need an hour or two. After three intense days, I become largely antisocial for the next two or three.

To de-stress, I listen to music with headphones and read. This works best when I am by myself as I do so. If I don't have enough time for the music, snatching some reading time helps, but not as efficiently.

Circle989898
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 7:39 pm

Depends sometimes a day sometimes a week sometimes a year

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 7:41 pm

I take every Sunday off, and that seems to keep things in control.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 8:22 pm

Usually a good night's sleep is enough for me to recover.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 8:47 pm

About a day if it went OK. If it was a disaster, it can be years without fully recuperating.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 8:58 pm

There might be a correlation between the longer you take off to recuperate, the harder it is to go back.

It depends.

TheSunAlsoRises

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2012, 9:04 pm

It depends what I'm doing and how long I'm doing it for. Also, how over-stimulated I get. I always need my alone time everyday though.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Aug 2012, 12:34 am

Shatbat wrote:
I take every Sunday off, and that seems to keep things in control.

Planning regular scheduled time off like that sounds like a good idea.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 12:36 am

On average, a couple of days. If I burn out completely, it can be weeks, but that's mostly because things start to snowball and other stressors (messy apartment, disorganized schedule, irregular sleep pattern) start to compound the problem of the initial burnout.

Ideally, I'd socialize about once a week, but I'm being forced to do so more often than that right now.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

IndieSoul
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2012, 2:29 am

It depends on the duration of the event itself. It's usually proportionate to the length of time I'm involved in the situation. If I'm in a conversation for a few minutes, it might take me a half-hour or so to recharge. If I've been at a family party or gathering for a few hours, it takes a few hours to recover. If I go out camping with family for a few days, it takes me several days after the event is over to fully recover. And of course, I usually have several hours of alone time every day. I'm usually on the computer or listening to music.

Xena_Sophia wrote:
For me, if it is a day at school, I need an hour or two. After three intense days, I become largely antisocial for the next two or three.

To de-stress, I listen to music with headphones and read. This works best when I am by myself as I do so. If I don't have enough time for the music, snatching some reading time helps, but not as efficiently.

Same here. I nap most days after school. My family was worried about this until they figured out it's just the time I need to recuperate at the end of the day.

Bearing a gift beyond price, almost free

-RUSH

Patchwork
Raven
Raven

01 Aug 2012, 3:54 am

It depends what you mean by "recuperate". Physically, it doesn't take me any time at all, mentally, sometimes I never recover, especially if things went very badly. I still sit thinking about social events that went very badly for me a long time afterwards, for instance I went to visit some relatives I hadn't seen in about ten years, that was about three months ago now, and I still sit thinking about what someone meant by a comment they made, or if I said something offensive, or something like that, especially because I don't think it went too well, and I don't think they liked me much. I don't really get over these things, but maybe it's just me?

Kenjitsuka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2012, 5:43 am

nrau wrote:
ItsJustAmber wrote:
Is there something I can do to make it less excessive? Any suggestions?

I think you're trolling.

But just in case you are serious...uhh..masturbation? sleep? music? games? chess? physical exercise?
tea?

No, you're trolling, nrau...

OT: It takes me two to three nights of long sleep (14 hours) to recover.
And I always need a non social day after a social one (meeting more than 1 person at once for longer than 30 minutes)

The Broad Autism Phenotype Test: You scored 132 aloof, 126 rigid and 132 pragmatic. IQ: 139. AQ: 45/50

nrau
Toucan
Toucan

01 Aug 2012, 10:57 am

Kenjitsuka wrote:
nrau wrote:
ItsJustAmber wrote:
Is there something I can do to make it less excessive? Any suggestions?

I think you're trolling.

But just in case you are serious...uhh..masturbation? sleep? music? games? chess? physical exercise?
tea?

No, you're trolling, nrau...

I wonder if you know what trolling is....