Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 9:37 am

Has anyone ever tried pinning the youth appearance associated with aspies with androgyny? The faces of younger people are less desexed, to the point where newborn males and females look identical. Those with AS have a more androgynous brain (curtesy of brain scans, the extreme male brain theory is bunk), and the shape of the face can reflect the shape of the brain. If those with AS have a more androgynous appearance they may have a more youthful appearance. Has anyone else considered this?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 12:56 pm

In my case, I look many years younger and yes, what people see as attractive are more the sorts of things one looks for in females... I'm not the supposedly favoured tall, dark handsome type with a very masculine face at all, I suppose the word "pretty" could be used and I've heard "beautiful" also. A while back I was criticised for commenting (or should I say lamenting) that I seemed to appeal more to men, including straight men by the way, than apparently to women (though it may be in part a function of women being more passive about such things) but I see it as perhaps related to the way in which I am considered to be attractive, more so to males and what they look for than to females.

As for this theory, I don't know really, I'm just describing my particular case.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 12:59 pm

Oh, f**k, so I DO look like a man???????

f*****g knew I was cursed, I don't want to look masculine, I want to be feminine, I'm gonna f*****g kill myself now I f*****g hate AS f**k Autism f**k the f*****g cunting s**t right to hell!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

monstermunch
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Sep 2012, 1:03 pm

Joe90 wrote:

f***ing knew I was cursed, I don't want to look masculine, I want to be feminine, I'm gonna f***ing kill myself now I f***ing hate AS f**k Autism f**k the f***ing cunting sh** right to hell!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

My brother is autistic and he doesnt look any less masculine than my neurotypical brother.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 1:08 pm

I believe we look younger because conformity and subterfuge make people prematuraly old.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 1:35 pm

Joe90 wrote:

f***ing knew I was cursed, I don't want to look masculine, I want to be feminine, I'm gonna f***ing kill myself now I f***ing hate AS f**k Autism f**k the f***ing cunting sh** right to hell!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

tourettes too huh?

I actually like boyish girls a lot more than girlish girls[and no I'm not a latent homosexual]

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 1:37 pm

Moondust wrote:
I believe we look younger because conformity and subterfuge make people prematuraly old.

maybe higher levels of sex hormones age people quicker than lower levels

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 2:30 pm

In my case, I'm not androgynous looking at all. I look totally female (which I am), but still look much younger than I am. So I don't think androgyny has anything to do with a youthful appearance.

Sorry if I misunderstood your post.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 4:22 pm

I feel blessed to look like young Mick Avory. I like it when strangers call me Sir. I take it as a compliment. I even have his high cheekbones.

Can anybody say cute? :D :P

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 4:28 pm

I am not sure about the link between looking androgenous and youthfulness, I can't agree or disagree either way. I get told I look a lot younger than I am (people think I'm about 21-23 years old when in actual fact I'm going to be 30 next month) and I think I look like a female should.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 4:51 pm

A while ago someone on this board had a thread about "neoteny," which is when an adult organism retains youthful or juvenile traits. For example, domesticated animals tend to retain some 'childlike' behavior that is expressed when they interact with humans. And even the human ability to learn a great deal even in adulthood is considered a form of neoteny.

Erg, I feel like I'm not explaining this very well, so here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoteny

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 5:27 pm

xenon13 wrote:
In my case, I look many years younger and yes, what people see as attractive are more the sorts of things one looks for in females... I'm not the supposedly favoured tall, dark handsome type with a very masculine face at all, I suppose the word "pretty" could be used and I've heard "beautiful" also. A while back I was criticised for commenting (or should I say lamenting) that I seemed to appeal more to men, including straight men by the way, than apparently to women (though it may be in part a function of women being more passive about such things) but I see it as perhaps related to the way in which I am considered to be attractive, more so to males and what they look for than to females.

As for this theory, I don't know really, I'm just describing my particular case.

Pretty much the same here.

I'm male, but have a somewhat androgynous appearance, or so I've been told many times. I get words like "pretty" and "beautiful" alot. Like, all the freaking time. And I do seem to mostly attract other males, rather than females.

Wether or not that's related to autism in any way, I have no idea, but..... that's how it is for me.

chaines321
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Sep 2012, 5:29 pm

When I go out, I am 100% of the time seen as a boy to strangers, even family friends think I am my younger brother. Also, I can pass as a 5th grader and I'm in my first year of college. I've had trouble when I've had to use my ID because my age and sex don't look right.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 5:31 pm

I am a 39 year old woman who is regularly mistaken for a teenage boy. So yes to both androgynous and youthful.

Can't comment on the theory or whether it is ASD related, but it's interesting.

Issit
Raven
Raven

01 Sep 2012, 6:07 pm

I am 39 years old woman ..too,
people normally guess me 25 or so.

But I do look like a female, I believe 8O :D

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 6:48 pm

Actually, I do fit this description. Especially, when I was young. Abnd I got tired of being sterotyped as "Gay" because of my looks. These days, I look more masculine, but I still only look in my twenties.
I am 50, btw.

Sincerely,
Matthew