Struggles that other people with AS don't have

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

infilove
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 11:21 am

Do you feel like you struggle with things that is part of your disability but other people with Asperger's don't struggle with? If so what are some of the things?

For me it's having a very bad temper.

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 12:41 pm

I'm physically disabled as well as having AS. While I don't go so far as to believe no other Aspies have this double-whammy - indeed I have read posts by some members here who do - I do feel I have more to deal with. In some ways that puts the AS in its proper place. I never think "if only I didn't have an ASD I would be successful" etc.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 5:28 pm

I have brain fog, but other people with AS that I know don't seem to have that problem as much.

Last edited by slw1990 on 08 Nov 2015, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 5:35 pm

I wouldn't say that I have any struggle that others with autism don't have.
I can't think of single one.
Any struggle I have, I am pretty sure some other autistic person also has.
Or non-autistic person, some of them probably have some same struggles as me too.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 5:47 pm

Cultural filters: Meaning their own culture means the world, and disregarding other else's. Usually this is the cause of tribalism (Or some might call it racism)

Autistics are 'born' foreigners. The culture they live in is just as confusing/unnatural as other cultures they're not born into.

NTs struggles on the foreign which causes them culture shock. Because the foreign social rules do not match their's in a subconscious level, forcing them to be in a conscious level of interaction.
Aspies are on this constant state, and are 'used to it'. They won't be feel as "forced" and get easily anxious as NTs when entering a foreign realm.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 6:14 pm

slw1990 wrote:
I have brain fog, but other people with AS that I know don't seem to have that problem as much.

Oh, you're not alone with this. I have plenty of brain fog. :)

Really, really bad eyesight. Gotta get reeeeeal close to things.
To give you guys an idea, I miss lots of details on the floor right below me.
Doesn't help with reading subtle body language and facial expressions either.
I don't greet people in cars because I don't see them. I have missed noticing people I know passing me at night. By day I greet at the very last moment possible, because that's when I start to see.
My studies have suffered dramtically from it.
The minimum font size in my browser is 22 and still have to stay very close to the monitor.
Bottom line: Generates lots of additional uncertainty, inconvenience and awkwardsness.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 6:39 pm

The only thing *I'm* struggling with is my cold sensitivity and my allergies.
Unless you count the suffering and inconveniences of physical needs...

Nothing ASD related.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 8:31 pm

I seem to have more chronic medical conditions than most - born with immunodeficiency, scar tissue from numerous episodes of infections like pneumonia, a lot of visual problems, coeliac disease, allergies, auto-immune conditions and some other inherited characteristics have meant being perhaps more undermined by the physical challenges than many others, and the time and financial costs of treatment and monitoring can be heavy - the last month alone has incurred nearly $4000 in cost for MRI, MRA, and other expensive procedures to monitor the progression of ongoing issues. Because immune deficient people who also have coeliac disease are at much higher risk of progressing to nasties like myeloma and other incurable blood cancers, monitoring is very important once the immune deficiency reaches a certain stage. Mine reached that stage a few years ago. It can sometimes be quite challenging to live never knowing when the axe is going to fall, knowing that it is there. Some days are better though. Little is known about the health issues of older people on the spectrum. It is never addressed and we are individual, unrecognised pioneers in that sense I think. One day this may change, though not in my life time.