NVLD - Where does the 15 point limit come from? (Rewritten)

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

mrsmith
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Nov 2012, 9:05 am

daydreamer84 wrote:

Yeah it's confusing how AS and NVLD overlap. I do see the similarity between autism and AS....I just don't know how NVLD fits in or if it's just a similar condition.

If prevalence for NVLD is around 2.5 %, AS is effectively a subgroup of NVLD while Most NVLD are not ASD.

You can also see it as female AS - possibly severe female non AS NVLD are just as impaired as AS.

(This is based on 80% NVLD in AS, much less in the rest of ASD. Prevalence of ASD 1%, and prevalence of AS being much higher in male, while it is about equal for NVLD).

New and improved question! http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf216539-0-0.html

Last edited by mrsmith on 30 Nov 2012, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 9:05 am

Ganondox wrote:
Again, what if there is a gap between VIQ and PIQ, but both are well above average?

I have both a VIQ and PIQ well above average, but I have the NVLD gap between them. So, again, the overall scores don't necessarily matter as much as the discrepancy between them.

Nash: Is there a difference?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 11:02 am

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Again, what if there is a gap between VIQ and PIQ, but both are well above average?

I have both a VIQ and PIQ well above average, but I have the NVLD gap between them. So, again, the overall scores don't necessarily matter as much as the discrepancy between them.

Shouldn't point by point gap have less of an effect the further it deviates from the center? What if someones has VIQ is 3 above average, but their PIQ is three bellow average, while the other person have a VIQ 60 points above average and a PIQ 45 points above average?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

mrsmith

30 Nov 2012, 1:01 pm

Ganondox wrote:

I would think the limit used is the same.

Perhaps it should be different, but nobody has probably looked at it,
as it is not so many children with high IQ among "problem children".

I would also guess that if the point difference is "passed",
then the chance you should "pass" according to the diagnostic criteria might be different
(I would guess nobody here knows)

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 3:01 pm

Ganondox wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
Do most gifted NT people have little difference between VIQ and PIQ?

Is there a disorder for the opposite of NVLD IQ profile, PIQ > VIQ?

Most gifted NT's don't have a very large discrepancy between VIQ and PIQ......most NT's in general do not. Most gifted people have a VIQ and PIQ above average.

I'm just saying in response to another question that MOST of the population don't have a large gap between their VIQ and PIQ- for most people their different sub-scores on their IQ tests are around the same range. Also MOST gifted people also don't have a large gap-MOST gifted people would therefore have both a VIQ and PIQ above average. This is in response to someone wondering if there is a different pattern -more likely to be gap in IQ sub-scores in gifted people-which there is not.In terms of whether having both scores above average ameliorates the problems caused by having a VIQ higher than PIQ in ppl who are gifted and have NVLD I'm not sure.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 3:14 pm

mrsmith wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:

Yeah it's confusing how AS and NVLD overlap. I do see the similarity between autism and AS....I just don't know how NVLD fits in or if it's just a similar condition.

If prevalence for NVLD is around 2.5 %, AS is effectively a subgroup of NVLD while Most NVLD are not ASD.

You can also see it as female AS - possibly severe female non AS NVLD are just as impaired as AS.

(This is based on 80% NVLD in AS, much less in the rest of ASD. Prevalence of ASD 1%, and prevalence of AS being much higher in male, while it is about equal for NVLD).

New and improved question! http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf216539-0-0.html

The 80% NVLD in AS statistic is disputed. There was a study that refuted that claim and showed the prevalence of NVLD in AS to be the same as in the general population. Also I read that NVLD occurs in about 1% of the population. Do you have the source for the 2.5% stat. I did a paper comparing AS and NVLD for abnormal psych- 2 years ago-that's when I found this data ...I don't know if your statistics are more recent or not.

mrsmith

30 Nov 2012, 3:22 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
The 80% NVLD in AS statistic is disputed. There was a study that refuted that claim and showed the prevalence of NVLD in AS to be the same as in the general population. Also I read that NVLD occurs in about 1% of the population. Do you have the source for the 2.5% stat. I did a paper comparing AS and NVLD for abnormal psych- 2 years ago-that's when I found this data ...I don't know if your statistics are more recent or not.

I have seen it estimated at 2-3%. And it follows from higher number of women having it that the prevalence must be higher
(But that build on the 80%)

(I think if you have done a paper, you should have the numbers, also I think we should look at IQ profiles as well if the diagnosis is obscure)

Last edited by mrsmith on 01 Dec 2012, 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2012, 4:00 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
In terms of whether having both scores above average ameliorates the problems caused by having a VIQ higher than PIQ in ppl who are gifted and have NVLD I'm not sure.

From my own personal experience, I know that I have been able to achieve much more academically due to being "gifted," but I still have great deficits and struggles with visual-spatial tasks and concepts. As I said in an earlier post, I think that being gifted with NVLD is just another example of how "twice exceptionality" as a hidden disability makes people less able to understand your difficulties. People don't get why I'm seemingly so "smart" and have many "gifted" talents, but yet I can't do lots of tasks neurotypicals find easy. It's like you're a walking contradiction, and that definitely has its downsides.

Nash: Is there a difference?

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 7:35 am

Quote:
Is there a disorder for the opposite of NVLD IQ profile, PIQ > VIQ?

Several.

By definition, people with specific language impairment (SLI) would have that - the criteria is receptive and expressive language delay first noticeable early childhood (most continue to be behind in language skills their whole life), with normal nonverbal skills and not meeting criteria for the autism spectrum. (Though this has a similar problems to the rule for ADHD not including autism.)

Dyslexia is also more likely to have PIQ>VIQ, although not all of them do (in fact, there are even a few NVLDers with dyslexia, because there are many reasons why a kid could struggle with reading).

Also, a large proportion of autism spectrum has that profile as well. It's more common if they have language delay as well, although the link isn't perfect (some kids have early delay, and then grow into equal VIQ-PIQ or even VIQ>PIQ, some PIQ>VIQ kids compensate well early on but fall behind later, etc). Many autistic kids have the characteristics of SLI as well as autism. (Incidentally, it's rare to find a big discrepancy in the lowest IQ ranges, but that's probably because many of these kids have floor effects that obscure their true profile.)