Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 3:56 pm

As some of you probably read, I'm doing my Bachelor project about an autism computer simulation. Now, I feel like my project tutor treats me a little condescending since he knows that I have Asperger's.

He's generally a pretty cynical guy and I realize that I might take some things too personal. But when we had the first project meeting he was pretty normal to me. At that time I had a different project in mind so he didn't know about my autism. But when I suggested the autism simulation he asked me whether I know someone autistic, and I said "actually I have Asperger's myself". There was a little pause and I felt like he was kind of upset. Ever since, he's been treating me like I'm a stupid little child. It's like he thinks autists are completely ret*d and can't do anything right. Today I had to meet him to hand in a report, and although I was perfectly on time when I arrived he basically ignored me and continued to talk to his colleague for at least two minutes. Then he completely ripped apart my report and I'll probably get the second worst mark possible. After talking to some friends who have different tutors it became clear that he was a lot more strict and literal about the rules, since others had made similar mistakes and the tutors didn't even really care. I don't know how he treats his other students though. When we were finished I got up and said "bye" in a normal voice and he didn't even respond, just immediately turned his back to me and got back to his computer.

On other occasions we had project meetings planned for 1 pm and he emailed me a few minutes earlier to tell me that he had to delay it or we would meet at another room. Since I have to leave half an hour earlier to get to university I couldn't read them and he got really annoyed about it. It's like always when he has to deal with me he's constantly rolling his eyes and speaking in a condescending tone. He asks me stupid questions and likes to end them with "isn't that right" as if I'm a dog.

Do you think I'm only imagining this? I'm afraid he just doesn't like "ret*ds" and will downgrade everything I hand in.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2012, 4:09 pm

If you have concrete proof that his actions changed toward you once you disclosed your condition, then you have a case with the school.

It's discrimination, and in most developed countries this is against the law.

If you're in America, you have the ADA.

You should take this to the disability center on your campus and submit an official complaint.

Don't put up with crap from idiots.

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2012, 9:02 pm

Sanctus, it sounds to me like your tutor is just a big as*hole who looks down on autistic people. Maybe this is because he, for some reason, perceives autistic people as inferior and unwilling to work with such people. I would suggest trying to find another project tutor who isn't condescending to someone just because that someone is autistic.

Bill92
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Dec 2012, 12:38 am

I am a tutor at my university and I am disgusted at how this guy is treating you. I do what I do because I have talents that I want to share with others and I want to see others learn. Never would I think badly of a student because of any kind of condition, AS or otherwise.

Quite frankly, you need to just get the hell away from this guy and then alert the appropriate authorities.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 5:50 pm

What kind of evidence could I possibly have, though? He never openly insulted me or anything, so I really can't prove it. I'd probably just get some weird looks if I complain.

I'll have to meet him tomorrow, I guess I'll decide based on how he'll treat me.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 11:03 pm

He sounds like a terrible person. Yuck. I don't think you'll get very far by "telling on him", though.