They want to abolish Aspergers diagnosis!

Page 1 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

logician
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2013, 11:36 am

I've read that they are going to abolish Aspergers diagnosis altogether and deprive help from people who rely on support
from caregivers because of their severe AS-symptoms.

I can't live without the social care I recieve, because I can't do the shopping, driving to town or establish relationships on my own.
I can't live at all without support from caregivers, this has been tested and examined to pieces and been documented.

Now they want to abolish the Aspergers diagnosis and erase all my papers, saying that since it no longer exists, the documentation is worthless.

I am sure that this whole Anti-Aspergers (DSM V) thing is an evil conspiracy against me, personally, to make me live on the street and eventually commit suicide!

My impairments don't disappear just because I lose my diagnosis. But they know that already, and THAT is why they want to deprive me of my diagnosis by
abolishing it altogether in the DSM V so that WHO's ICD 11 will be reviewed without Aspergers.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 11:48 am

40% of Aspies will no longer be on the spectrum.

The issue is drugs lobbying and the fact that 70% of the panel have conflicts of interest.

Your history is not now worthless and supposedly existing diag's stand.

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 11:52 am

logician wrote:
I've read that they are going to abolish Aspergers diagnosis altogether and deprive help from people who rely on support
from caregivers because of their severe AS-symptoms.

I can't live without the social care I recieve, because I can't do the shopping, driving to town or establish relationships on my own.
I can't live at all without support from caregivers, this has been tested and examined to pieces and been documented.

Now they want to abolish the Aspergers diagnosis and erase all my papers, saying that since it no longer exists, the documentation is worthless.

I am sure that this whole Anti-Aspergers (DSM V) thing is an evil conspiracy against me, personally, to make me live on the street and eventually commit suicide!

My impairments don't disappear just because I lose my diagnosis. But they know that already, and THAT is why they want to deprive me of my diagnosis by
abolishing it altogether in the DSM V so that WHO's ICD 11 will be reviewed without Aspergers.

So much ignorance here but yes your right it is a whole conspiracy against you.

I wouldn't worry about it, you will just be put under Autism Spectrum Disorder like every other people diagnosed with Asperger's.

I think you need to read more into it.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 11:55 am

answeraspergers wrote:

The issue is drugs lobbying and the fact that 70% of the panel have conflicts of interest.

Hang on, where'd you get that figure? From what I've read, practically all Aspies will be re-diagnosed "autism spectrum disorder" and nothing will change. Perhaps a few will fall into social phobia or social communication disorder, but they'll still get services.

If you have impairment, you get services... it's just the label that might change.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 12:01 pm

why is it that some people open with spite and assumption?

Its not a conspiracy against him but he is feeling threatened. Have some insight.

40% drop out. Maybe you are HFA or SCD or whatever other crap DSM wants to tell people.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 12:03 pm

even the APA say its 10%

others suggest 40%

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 12:40 pm

I'm honestly baffled as to why they're doing this. If you go to any spectrum group, it's obvious who has AS and who has ASD. They really are not the same thing.

GhostsInTheWallpaper
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jan 2013, 12:41 pm

The controversy is interesting to me as a non-autistic who had social skills problems growing up, because I do have to wonder if a lot of people like me are getting misdiagnosed as Asperger's or PDD-NOS because there's no other explanation yet in the popular consciousness for the types of problems I had. Perhaps well-trained professionals would know better, but non-professionals and unaccredited professionals whom I've known and who know about my quirks or my past problems in detail have often brought up "the autistic spectrum." Though I'm not a professional in psychology, I have a feeling that the line should be drawn somewhere, and that somewhere might be where there are also sensorimotor problems and, at least in childhood, repetitive behaviors. Practically every book or blog I've read about autism from the inside talks about these sensorimotor-type issues, and it is because of these that I've always felt I'm non-autistic. So I actually think it's a good thing that the DSM-5 will be acknowledging that not all "social dyslexia" in childhood and adolescence is autism. On the other hand, they also have to make sure that they'll still be supporting everyone with trouble learning social skills, as social skills are probably the most important criterion for success in most workplaces, and that they don't exclude too many people who DO have sensorimotor problems from the autistic spectrum because even the seemingly well-adapted folks can have trouble with the sensorimotor aspects of autism.

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 1:29 pm

answeraspergers wrote:
even the APA say its 10%

others suggest 40%

The reason I am full of spite because you cite no sources what-so-ever and are posting useless claims. There always has to be an enemy, in your case it's the DSM 5.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 1:56 pm

click here

Quote:
This is the proposed definition of ASD. For a person to be diagnosed, they must meet criteria A, B , C, and D.

A. Persistent deficits in social communication and social interaction across contexts, not accounted for by general developmental delays, and manifest by all 3 of the following:

1. Deficits in social-emotional reciprocity; ranging from abnormal social approach and failure of normal back and forth conversation through reduced sharing of interests, emotions, and affect and response to total lack of initiation of social interaction,

2. Deficits in nonverbal communicative behaviors used for social interaction; ranging from poorly integrated-verbal and nonverbal communication, through abnormalities in eye contact and body-language, or deficits in understanding and use of nonverbal communication, to total lack of facial expression or gestures.

3. Deficits in developing and maintaining relationships, appropriate to developmental level (beyond those with caregivers); ranging from difficulties adjusting behavior to suit different social contexts through difficulties in sharing imaginative play and in making friends to an apparent absence of interest in people

B. Restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, or activities as manifested by at least two of the following:

1. Stereotyped or repetitive speech, motor movements, or use of objects (such as simple motor stereotypies, echolalia, repetitive use of objects, or idiosyncratic phrases);

2. Excessive adherence to routines, ritualized patterns of verbal or nonverbal behavior, or excessive resistance to change; (such as motoric rituals, insistence on same route or food, repetitive questioning or extreme distress at small changes);

3. Highly restricted, fixated interests that are abnormal in intensity or focus (such as strong attachment to or preoccupation with unusual objects, excessively circumscribed or perseverative interests);

4. Hyper-or hypo-reactivity to sensory input or unusual interest in sensory aspects of environment (such as apparent indifference to pain/heat/cold, adverse response to specific sounds or textures, excessive smelling or touching of objects, fascination with lights or spinning objects);

C. Symptoms must be present in early childhood (but may not become fully manifest until social demands exceed limited capacities)

D. Symptoms together limit and impair everyday functioning.

Quote:
As you can see, the ASD definition above is very similar to, and clearly derived from, the DSM IV definitions it will replace. Given its similarity, I think it's an overreaction to suggest that any large portion of the current diagnosed population would "lose their diagnosis."

Last edited by chlov on 20 Jan 2013, 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 1:57 pm

Why should i invest time if you wont?

Yes my enemy is a book, how right you are. Where did i hear that before?

Google is your friend.

PS the APA is a source, its THE source if some are to be believed. Hopefully most know better by now.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 2:29 pm

Didn't they say people who previously had an Aspergers diagnosis would keep the previous one?

Author/Writer

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 2:55 pm

Callista wrote:
answeraspergers wrote:

Hang on, where'd you get that figure? From what I've read, practically all Aspies will be re-diagnosed "autism spectrum disorder" and nothing will change. Perhaps a few will fall into social phobia or social communication disorder, but they'll still get services.

If you have impairment, you get services... it's just the label that might change.

What services will people with social communication disorder get? As and adult with AS I've been trying to get 'services' for the last 18 months and can't even get counseling through the program that my college has set up with a large PPO. Do you think it will be easier to get help with SCD?

I don't even know what a change from AS to ASD will get someone in terms of services. Right now the only thing I get is "you're not classic autism, you don't qualify". In May I will get, "sorry you need to be level 3, can't help you".

dimfuture
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jan 2013, 3:03 pm

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 3:18 pm

dimfuture wrote:

That's a long time ago, a bit has changed since then (June 2011 really?) he doesn't exactly give a reason why he is angry, it's a pure emotional knee jerk reaction. Asperger's is getting a name change and slight revision of diagnostic criteria (See above), not stealing anyone's identity or services away.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 3:25 pm

Dreycrux wrote:
dimfuture wrote:

Well that's a long time ago (June 2011 really?) he doesn't exactly give a reason why he is mad. Asperger's is getting a name change and slight revision of diagnostic criteria (See above), not stealing anyone's identity or services away. Get retested, adjust to the new system. Bingo.

Problem is many people don't have the resources to get an assessment in the 1st place. Hard for broke ass people to drop $1000 on a re-evaluation. If you get a free assessment while applying for government services you don't know whether you'll get a psychologist who will test you thoroughly or someone who sees you for 15 minutes, says there's nothing wrong with you, and waits for their check from the state.

You can see people all over WP who clearly have issues but can not afford a diagnosis.