Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 8:53 am

Does such a thing actually exist? I kinda doubt it does. I've heard of some people giving their autistic kids OCD medication and claim it helps curb their special interest, but you can't believe everything you read on the internet. I'm sure if my mother knew there was something she could give me for my meerkat obsession, she'd be banging on the psychiatrist's door to give it to me. My mom did eventually accept my obsession with meerkats, but she's never apologized for giving me so much hell for it as a kid either.

svaughan
Raven
Raven

03 Apr 2017, 9:28 am

I have Pure O (OCD without physical compulsions) and I think OCD and special interests are two sides of the same coin. If we have pleasant obsessions then surely it makes sense that at least some of us will have negative obsessions (Aka OCD). I could see it working. I don't take meds though.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 10:15 am

I agree with svaughan. I'm medicated for OCD and I know that medication does affect positive obsessions. At first I rejected the drugs for that very reason as I felt without my positive obsessions, happy place, I would lose a part of myself or lose control. Then I realized, when I stopped taking them, how good actually they'd done for my mental state. But there's also this thing that I feel like their effect on my positive obsessions has kinda diminished over time so maybe it's just a phase of getting used to the medication.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 11:03 am

This is off topic here but there are some parents out there who will give their kids things like anti depressants or OCD meds to reduce their autistic symptoms and treat their obsessions and routines like it's OCD or anxiety. Honestly it didn't work with me because I still had my obsessions and routines with cleaning. Does it make the symptoms less severe, yes. My mom used to tell me when I was 15 that I would have more Asperger's if I didn't take my medicine. Is it unhealthy or healthy? I am not sure but since doctors approve it, I guess it is fine. I think that is the reason for co morbid diagnoses to allow doctors to prescribe meds for the person and to allow the insurance to pay for therapy.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2017, 1:48 pm

I think medication would be useful if pursuing special interests interferes with your occupational, social or educational functioning. If you're going to lose your job because you're spending your entire shift researching widgets, then medication will definitely help. Stimulants (Amphetamine, Methylphenidate), Wellbutrin and/or Strattera can help redirect hyperfocus.

My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200

I am very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

svaughan
Raven
Raven

04 Apr 2017, 8:43 am

komamanga wrote:
I agree with svaughan. I'm medicated for OCD and I know that medication does affect positive obsessions. At first I rejected the drugs for that very reason as I felt without my positive obsessions, happy place, I would lose a part of myself or lose control. Then I realized, when I stopped taking them, how good actually they'd done for my mental state. But there's also this thing that I feel like their effect on my positive obsessions has kinda diminished over time so maybe it's just a phase of getting used to the medication.

Yeah I know OCD isn't considered to be on the Autistic spectrum but I do think ASD increases your chances of developing OCD tenth-fold. Someone I know with "just" OCD, says they often get good obsessions too.