Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alakazaam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2013, 4:53 am

Is anybody else sensitive to the sound of people chewing? especially when they chew like cows lol. I feel like punching that person when they do it. Anybody have this problem? How can I control this?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 5:38 am

Stop chewing on people? :lol:

Earplugs/headphones?

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 6:03 am

I have a problem with such noises, too. Noises made with mouth/tongue. Especially when I'm trying to concentrate on something, such a noise can disrupt my thinking and I feel very angry. The only way I can deal with it is just to block the noise with earplugs or to simply go somewhere else, since people can't help making that kind of noise.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 7:00 am

That's called misophonia.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 7:29 am

alakazaam wrote:
Is anybody else sensitive to the sound of people chewing? especially when they chew like cows lol. I feel like punching that person when they do it. Anybody have this problem? How can I control this?

I could easily have a meltdown over the sound of people chewing. My husband chews in a really chomping way and you can hear every aspect of it, like a cement mixer, I get cross with him instantly I hear it. There is also the crunching, he sounds like a horse, even with his mouth closed, almost like you can hear every echo of the sound inside his head coming out through his nostrils. It makes me insane, he slurps when he eats too. I cannot begin to tell you how much I can't bear it.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Urist
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2013, 8:23 am

I'm not so much bothered by the sound of people chewing as by them chewing with their mouths open, but some really crunchy stuff can be kind of annoying if I'm trying to concentrate on something else.

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 8:36 am

It is comforting to know there are others who go through the same experience. I too am married to a man who sounds like a horse chewing grain, even with his mouth closed. What irritates me even more though is how most women sound if they sing hymns over a certain volume. Generally speaking men lack that pitch. I think one of my worst nightmares would be being at an opera.

gratin
Raven
Raven

16 Mar 2013, 3:18 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:

Sometimes misophonia is called soft sound sensitivity (SSS). I was diagnosed with SSS. It makes eating around people very difficult and it means I can only concentrate when I'm alone in silence. I don't know if it's the same type of problem with noise associated with autism?

I want to mimic the sound that's distressing me too so if someone is smacking their lips I want to do it even louder, which comes across as rude.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 Mar 2013, 4:07 pm

gratin wrote:
arielhawksquill wrote:

Sometimes misophonia is called soft sound sensitivity (SSS). I was diagnosed with SSS. It makes eating around people very difficult and it means I can only concentrate when I'm alone in silence. I don't know if it's the same type of problem with noise associated with autism?

I want to mimic the sound that's distressing me too so if someone is smacking their lips I want to do it even louder, which comes across as rude.

It is often associated with autism.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 4:22 pm

I encourage eberryone to eat soft melt-in-mouth foods, so can swallow without chewing.

Triple__B
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Mar 2013, 4:34 pm

There is this one guy at work that always smacks his mouth when eating, and then makes this annoying gulping noise when he drinks. I find myself getting extremely agitated and have to walk away when he is eating.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 29 of 200
Nothing is permanent in this wicked world. Not even our troubles. ~ Charles Chaplin

Dizzee
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2013, 5:58 pm

Not really bothered with chewing but I hate when people slurp while drinking or eating soup.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 7:08 pm

This bothers me, yes. I tend not to do anything about it because people can't usually help the way they chew. But if somebody is talking to me while eating (or sucking on a lolly or something), I sometimes have to ask them to finish eating before they speak because it is so distracting and irritating that I can't focus on what they are saying to me.

I try not to be a hypocrite and I never talk with food in my mouth. I also try to chew as quietly as possibly around others. But I have learnt that most people really don't care. In fact I think they get more annoyed that they have to wait a few seconds for me to swallow my food before I speak, instead of just speaking.

jk1 wrote:
I have a problem with such noises, too. Noises made with mouth/tongue.

I think I have this general problem, too. For example, being able to hear the subtle mouth noises of newsreaders on the radio, or when I was in primary school I used to cringe when we all read out the alphabet and there was a horrible "wet clicky" sound that came with the pronunciation of "k".

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 7:43 pm

I do not like eating noises. I also don't like when I can hear someone breathing. If I am trying to concentrate it makes me feel angry.

gratin
Raven
Raven

16 Mar 2013, 8:22 pm

InThisTogether wrote:
I do not like eating noises. I also don't like when I can hear someone breathing. If I am trying to concentrate it makes me feel angry.

Reminds me of when I went to the theatre and I could hear the person next to me breathing throughout. It was torture. :evil:

AspieSLP
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Mar 2013, 9:16 pm

YES. The sounds of people chewing drives me up the wall. Especially if they are loud, "wet" chewers. I instantly become on edge and feel angry when I hear these noises, particularly from my mother (it's so disgusting!).

I don't know how to deal with it except to leave the room or put on headphones. People just don't understand how intense the feelings are when I hear these noises. I don't like that I react so strongly, but I can't help it.