The visual and musical dimension
brings things home on a
rational
logical, but also in a soul level.

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2013, 5:30 pm

I'm a very reliable visual and verbal thinker, and these thinking patterns are enhanced by my exceptional visual memory and analytical giftedness; however, I have a preferable tendency to absorb visual information with my intrinsic formulation of vivid imagery, such as integrating or attributing shapes, mentally rotating 2D illustrations, analyzing similitudes, solving visual sequences, and discerning certain aspects of shapes and patterns. Introspectively speaking, the efficacy of my mathematical thinking is well beyond to a standard degree, and this is corroborated by my ability to solve intricate mental arithmetic (e.g. multiply sixty seven thousand, eight hundred and forty eight by six thousand, four hundred and thirty six). I'm also fairly proficient at verbalizing eloquent thoughts, but only when it's pertinent to the particular environment (e.g. formal interview), as-well as my current mood levels.

Aspie score: 186 out of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 12 out of 200
AQ: 48/50 EQ: 9/80

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 8:16 pm

I am definitely both a strong visual and verbal thinker; it is as though my mind is the audio recording of a oddly-but-pedantically written textbook combined with video and pictorial input. That being said, I find it more natural to convey deep thought in words than through logical processes or imagery, though I have used both to emphasize the words. There is almost always background music.

Now, if only I understood my emotional processing as well as my logistical processing...

dinetahrisingsun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 May 2013, 8:27 pm

Visual... i see pictures with everything. and the pictures create more pictures like all the facets on a crystal chandelier. there is a pattern element in my thinking, though not enough to have a natural ease with pattern related persuits. i have a strong affinity for music; though i visualize with every thought; ect. It what i love the most about my mind. images...bliss. 8)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 10:02 pm

Mostly visual,but some verbal also.

dinetahrisingsun
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 May 2013, 3:23 pm

I thi.k everyone has a combination of all of them. But i wonder if the thinking visually is where my cognative issues come from. I've read that many ppl with AS have difficulty with bills, and other like things that involve cognative understanding. If I canno picture something in my mind because I've never done it before or it totally word-oriented, then i can't understand it at all.

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

12 May 2013, 3:33 pm

I voted Other, because I'm a verbal and visual thinker.

I'm constantly talking in my head, whether they are monologues or dialogues. It happens so much that I often can't sleep.
However, when someone tells me something, anything, I see it happening in my mind. I can't not get a mental picture in my head. Which is why I sometimes ask my mom and sis not to talk about certain things, but they don't care.

HaySkyNat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 May 2013, 10:55 pm

Pictures and words, pictures mostly, but it depends what I'm thinking about.

InnaLucia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 May 2013, 11:26 am

Verbal thinker.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 1:24 pm

I am a symbolic thinker--maybe the same idea that others have called "concepts" or "a deep sense of knowing"-- I know that I have to take the ideas that happen in connections between symbols representing things and translate them into words. Sometimes there is a word that means exactly the right idea, but often there is not and a phrase must be used to help express the thought for which there are no words.

Learning another language means learning the way that language connects with the symbols that hold my thoughts, not learning how that language translates into english. Translating between languages means translating from one language to the symbolic system in which thoughts occur, then from the symbols to the other language.

I am also a very visual thinker, I often imagine complex two and three dimensional objects and visualize them in detail. But this is a sort adjunct to the symbolic thinking. I choose to turn it on--to imagine a polyhedron rotating in front of me, for example--or I am thinking about a visual thing, and the visual imagination is on and an integral part of the thinking.

I am not sure that these words are really conveying my meaning, but I know what I am thinking (not in words!)

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 2:36 pm

I think in a combination of words and pictures but mostly pictures

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 2:48 pm

Predominantly patterns. I think in comparisons and associations.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 9:02 am

Anomiel wrote:
I'm a visual-spatial system thinker. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_thinking
With several forms of synesthesia, if it matters.

I didn't realize that seeing thoughts in front of you had to do with synesthesia :oops:
I just call it thinking...
When I think of synesthesia on it's own it is the "mixed up senses"-thing, though I have it about pretty much everything :oops:

mackico
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2013, 5:10 pm

Possibly all of the above, or none of the above.

I don't actually know.

Sometimes I will think exclusively in music or numbers, others I will think in pictures and then others still I will think in words.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 5:46 pm

InThisTogether wrote:
drewski56 wrote:
NarcissusSavage wrote:
I selected Other. But I suppose I might be a pattern thinker? I think in concepts. Silent, just understanding. A deep sense of knowing. Sensing the relationship of things, how one thing is to another. Sort of like a feeling, but more informational and rational. I'm not sure how to classify this. I can barely even explain it.

This is how I think primarily, and you have done a much better job of explaining it than I feel I have ever managed to. There is quite often also a strong spacial aspect for me.

In addition, I will think verbally when I am scripting out a conversation for example. I am mostly unable to visualize though I can imagine, quite vividly, with all the rest of my senses.

this is as close as I can come to explaining how I think. Maybe add in that I appear to process different things at different...levels?...like more than one train of thought occurring at the same time.

All of my visual thinking is without detail. I have a sense of what is there, but I can't clearly see it.

This exactly, also for me.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 5:56 pm

I am more of a visual thinker, although I sometimes think in other ways, as well.