Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 2:45 am

I've had what I guess you could call sensory issues since I was a child. I didn't have a lot of them but I remember I felt physically nauseous by the smell of scented candles, detergents etc. I also remember my mother had to cut off the tags in my clothes because they bothered me a lot. I've never really been a big fan of sounds either but it hasn't been a huge problem or anything.

My sensory issues have gotten worse over time though. Especially the problem with sounds. Sounds make me incredibly tired and often anxious. Nowadays I sometimes have quite a problem with touch as well (from other people and sometimes my clothes). It all gets worse the more stressed and anxious I am.

Anyway, is it possible to develop completely new sensory issues? I've never really seen lights as a problem before (except for the fact that I've always been squinting a bit when out in the sun, but who doesn't?) but during the past year lights have been annoying me. Nowadays I mostly keep my blinds closed because I sort of get blinded by the light if I don't (even if it's cloudy). I've figured out that I experience a lot of visual snow. I've probably experienced it since I was a child because I remember asking people repeatedly if it was raining outside when it wasn't. I now understand that I was experiencing visual snow when for example looking at the trees outside. Looked like it was raining. Still does. The visual snow bothers me the most when it's really dark or really bright. Here are few examples I found online by the way: link here. Picture 2, 23 and 41 are the ones I experience the most. Not sure visual snow counts as a sensory issue though. But yeah, lights in general have been bothering me quite a lot lately. Especially natural light (so not light from lamps etc).

Are these sensory issues or are my eyes just going really bad for some reason?

Last edited by rebbieh on 15 Jun 2013, 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 3:15 am

Your eyesight is NOT going bad. I´ve had visions of falling rain for years, and there is absolutely nothing wrong.
I think that sensory issues may change or worsen over years, and change quality, - such as your sensitivity to tags in clothes, - now sensitivity to touch.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 8:40 am

Because you've experienced sensory issues since always, your current problems may be expected. If your sensory modalities are combined, which is quite common with AS, then you might experience one sense with another or as a combination. Stress makes everything worse and this may be a factor for you now too.

However, since you've reported 'visual snow', which can mask other real physical visual problems, you might want to check with a good eye doctor just to rule out any other problems. For me right now, I'm doing lots of imaging and I know this has taken a toll on my eyes! In fact, for most within my research group, we do need to take extra precautions to protect our eyes. In any case, certain vision problems could underlie what you've described, even migraine headaches, etc. Check if your contact lens or eyeglass prescription needs to be updated and you might ask about prescription sunglasses or even Irlen lenses. For me, summer sunshine can be hard for me to cope with.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 1:22 pm

LabPet wrote:
Because you've experienced sensory issues since always, your current problems may be expected. If your sensory modalities are combined, which is quite common with AS, then you might experience one sense with another or as a combination.

Could you please explain this further?

LabPet wrote:
However, since you've reported 'visual snow', which can mask other real physical visual problems, you might want to check with a good eye doctor just to rule out any other problems. For me right now, I'm doing lots of imaging and I know this has taken a toll on my eyes! In fact, for most within my research group, we do need to take extra precautions to protect our eyes. In any case, certain vision problems could underlie what you've described, even migraine headaches, etc. Check if your contact lens or eyeglass prescription needs to be updated and you might ask about prescription sunglasses or even Irlen lenses. For me, summer sunshine can be hard for me to cope with.

I think I'll book an appointment with an optician (or should I see a doctor?). If he/she tells me nothing's wrong then I guess the problems are due to sensory issues.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 2:20 am

For the 1st quote box: For myself, when one sense goes awry, it is as if the others are affected as a consequence. That is, if I'm in an obtrusively noisy room, then my visual senses can hurt as well. There is some evidence that sensory modalities are more fluidic for those on the spectrum. Autistic/AS children sometimes cover their ears when they encounter bright lights, for example! Some Wrong Planet members have reported synaesthesia, myself included, and I have to consider that difference. For one reference, Olga Bogdashina (2003) Sensory Perceptual Issues in Autism and Asperger Syndrome: Different Sensory Experience, Different Perceptual Worlds.

I guess neurotypicals can experience this a certain degree as well. For instance, my friend cannot 'hear' someone speak very well unless she's wearing her glasses. Anyway, stress seems to exacerbate everything....sigh.

For the 2nd quote box: Yeah, might be an idea just to rule-out anything else like an out of date prescription (even cataracts, glaucoma, etc. which are unlikely anyway). I'd see an ophthalmologist rather than an optician though - they might dilate your eyes to check. Three years ago I had laser eye surgery and I did disclose to my ophthalmologist - he was great and also understanding. I see afterimages for a really long time and this can become bothersome. He told me to close my eyes for the count of 15 and those afterimages fade faster. Vision science incorporates not just vision, but also perception.

Anyway, hope your sensory issues ease up soon.