Forgetting about things that aren't in sight?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Kafke
Raven
Raven

09 Oct 2013, 6:05 pm

Do you guys have this problem? Like, I'll have left-overs one night, and want to eat them the next day (or the day after). So I'll put them in the fridge, only to forget about them and be reminded a week or two later when my roommate asks "dude, are you going to eat this?" By that time it's obviously gone bad and I have to throw it out. This happens constantly.

Another example would be homework. I'd get assigned work, write it down somewhere and completely forget about it. Only to be reminded by a classmate that there is homework due.

I constantly put things on my coffee table (I spend a lot of time on my couch) so I don't forget them. And I have to make sure all my daily stuff is right next to each other or I might forget something (forgot my phone on several occasions).

Many times I'll completely forget that I just bought a game on steam, or even physical copies some times (if the case isn't in sight). I was wondering if this was related to aspergers, or if I'm just forgetful. I usually don't have any problems remembering stuff as long as it's related to something in sight. That's actually one of my "tricks" for exams. I just relate my studied knowledge to an image or a keyword that I see. Then on the test I'll write it down to remember everything else.

You are very likely an Aspie

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2013, 6:15 pm

oh, definitely. "out of sight, out of mind." it's one reason i live with a lot of clutter, even though i hate it. everything has to be visible or it just ceases to exist.

goes for people too, unfortunately. if i go very long without seeing someone, it's like meeting them all over again.

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 9:52 pm

yeah same thing happens to me, my mum will ask me to do something and about 2 seconds after she asks its gone, its not that I mind helping with things it just goes completely out of my head.

I also forget whether I have eaten and get mixed up with the days and what I did on what day. It can be all quite confusing