Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

18 Feb 2015, 4:59 am

The have been many instances where my autism has worsened an awkward moment and made it just that more awkward than it needs to be..

Today, I went to the dentist which is already a nightmare for me, the general discomfort of someone constant stretching and pulling your mouth about is just.. ugh!

But the dentist asked me where I have been for 10 weeks.. I thought I should answer.. "obviously I was at home over the Christmas holiday.. And at school when that ended..".. But I was so clueless on how I should appropriately answer the question... Because I am pretty sure the answer was glaringly obvious so I was confused by what he meant and why he asked the question, which resulted in minute long stuttering and stumbling over my words, until the dentist gave up.

Me internally when things like this happen:

Share some of your Awkward Aspie Moments! :)

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2015, 5:12 am

I had one of those moments the other day when a woman on the street asked me what was the quickest way to get to town. I replied, "walk quicker." Then I realised she meant which way as in what route to take. I promptly crossed to the other side of the road at that point.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 2:27 pm

When I meet someone who I perhaps haven't seen for a while and they ask me 'So what are you doing?' (they mean in a general way), I tend to reply by saying 'I'm just going to the shops' or 'I'm waiting for the train' etc. This is usually interpreted as facetiousness.