Flow, Special Interests and Hyperfocus

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

celticknot
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Mar 2014, 8:23 pm

I was listening to this fascinating podcast, How 'Flow' Unlocks the Heights of Human Performance: https://soundcloud.com/kqedforum/how-flow-unlocks-heights-of

Here's the description:

Quote:
"Flow" refers to a state of complete focus, peace of mind and instinctive action. This elusive state of mind is the subject of author Steven Kotler's new book, "The Rise of Superman: Decoding the Science of Ultimate Human Performance." The author spent over a decade studying extreme athletes to understand how flow has propelled them to physical feats that were once thought impossible. Kotler argues that once we understand how flow works, we can use it to improve performance in all aspects of life.

It mentions performance in sports, music and the arts, Montessori education and more.

Anyway, I get into the zone sometimes when I'm drawing, painting, or coding a website. When I was a kid I really didn't want to do anything except draw. It makes me wonder whether this helps explains in part the autistic tendency toward hyperfocus on special interests. Is it partly because of the dopamine reward? Any thoughts?

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 8:27 pm

celticknot wrote:
I was listening to this fascinating podcast, How 'Flow' Unlocks the Heights of Human Performance: https://soundcloud.com/kqedforum/how-flow-unlocks-heights-of

Here's the description:

Quote:
"Flow" refers to a state of complete focus, peace of mind and instinctive action. This elusive state of mind is the subject of author Steven Kotler's new book, "The Rise of Superman: Decoding the Science of Ultimate Human Performance." The author spent over a decade studying extreme athletes to understand how flow has propelled them to physical feats that were once thought impossible. Kotler argues that once we understand how flow works, we can use it to improve performance in all aspects of life.

It mentions performance in sports, music and the arts, Montessori education and more.

Anyway, I get into the zone sometimes when I'm drawing, painting, or coding a website. When I was a kid I really didn't want to do anything except draw. It makes me wonder whether this helps explains in part the autistic tendency toward hyperfocus on special interests. Is it partly because of the dopamine reward? Any thoughts?

I've been talking about this for years and nobody takes me seriously.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 8:43 pm

I think this type of hyperfocus is borne out of a feeling of euphoria--which people say is produced by "endorphins." I used to get a bit of that when I ran long distances at a proper pace. I would get lots of "second winds," and would feel euphoric, like I could conquer all my fears.

I'm lazy now--but the remembrance of that feeling is what will eventually get me back onto the road.

psblyaspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2014, 11:34 pm

I think flow is something that is often misunderstood. From what I understand it is rather uncommon; however I am no expert on the subject.

There are lot of times when I get in the "zone" and will have really intense focus. Many times I will sit down and work on something for many hours. There are other times when I am doing something active and I just feel very focused, do well, and feel great.

BUT, a couple years ago had an experience like never before. I got to drive a race car (cars are a special interest of mine). I was very excited, a little anxious, and stalled the car 4 times before I got moving. But after the first turn, I was completely calm, absolutely serene. Everything was effortless. I did not have to focus, because nothing existed except what was happening in that moment. I was aware of everything that was going on around me. It was as if the car was an extension of myself. It was one of the best feelings of my life.

I have since heard a few accounts of a similar experience. Temple Grandin describes something similar in Thinking in Pictures. Also have seen it described in a documentary. It changed my outlook on life, and the way I approach any sport. Now, when I am in the "zone" it is like a very watered down version of that experience. Similar in many ways, but not complete, and not as intense.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 12:47 am

I love to hyperfocus on my special interest of brrrainzzz.
I also love the flow of biking and skating.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 1:11 am

I don't think it's uncommon, but perhaps many people don't get enough of it. That's what hobbies are for-being present and focused on something you enjoy until time and daily stresses fall away for a short time.

HakunaTakata
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Apr 2014, 5:47 am

Quote:
I also love the flow of biking and skating.

Ditto.

Have any of you heard of poi? If not, search "Jonathan Alvarez" on YouTube for a shining example of poi spinning.
This is something of a special interest of mine that I've been into for almost a year, and flow is what spinning poi is all about. I'm slowly developing a better and better sense for the flow of poi, and it feels amazing to do, especially to some of my favorite songs (I can really get flowing then). It's an incredible stress-relief activity, and great for calming my mind when I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Plus, you get to make and look at as many awesome patterns as you can come up with, something I think other Aspie's might enjoy as well :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 7:12 am

btbnnyr, yo are so much like Lewis Carroll!

Is that a special interest of yours, bybnnyr, that you focus on in the above manner?

Biking, especially, is great. You feel the fragrant breeze in your face (if you're in a rural area).

pete42
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 May 2014, 12:15 pm

I'd definitely recommend reading the original book "Flow" by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi.

It's not just about what flow is, but how to achieve it and why it's sometimes hard to achieve. He also weaves together all kinds of interesting stories and research to illustrate his points. It's probably the best book I've ever read and has deeply affected my outlook on life, in a good way.

You are very likely an Aspie

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 2:55 pm

Flowing has been my obsession, my special interest, my whole life. I got into skiing as a child, cross country running, then painting and Im still painting. I got into bicycles in the late 70's, got super fit, and then raced bikes for six years. I didn't stop riding until a couple of years ago. I was early into computers and video games. I got into meditation, and I still listen to the Guru Gita (look for it on youtube!) every day. Reading is flowing, and Im pretty well read... and I'm on my computer everyday for hours since the early '80's.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 4:41 pm

I actively seek out and nurture activities and interests which place me into a "flow". Also, for practical reasons, I do my best to channel my interests toward those things that might develop some commercial / professional value.