how do you know when it's time to give up?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 11:48 am

i've been trying to expand myself and it's just not working out. i completely bombed out of regular school. i've been getting in trouble in my nt forums lately for autistic blunders because i'm getting worn out being extra extra careful all the time. i'm just so sick and tired of all of it.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 11:52 am

Never give up, just take a break have a breather then start again.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 12:00 pm

If by giving up you mean suicide, the answer I came up with years ago was that there were things in life that I love and enjoy.

As long as this is the case, giving up is not an option.
The thing is to brush off the crap that didn't work and move on pursuing the things that you love most.
Really, all the drama is not that big a deal in the long run, just don't stew over it. That can do no good.

And I still like the way Monty Python put it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBArMmngVH4

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 12:07 pm

It's NEVER time to give-up!! !! It's just time to step-back, re-group, THINK-----and, like the OP said, "take a breather". I know you're really young----but, we've ALL been-through what you're going-through----including getting into trouble for "inapropriate behavior", AND wanting to give-up. I know you're really young but here's the thing: ALL people (even NTs) have some sort of emotional problem / behavioral problem whatever----ESPECIALLY at your age----but, you have to "find" yourself, learn coping mechanisms, get a little thicker skin. I know it sucks, right now, to hear this, but it all comes with age / maturity. I know, I was 13 once----about a million years ago----and I remember how difficult it was. You're not a child, anymore----you're certainly not an adult. You've got "growing pains", you wanna be "normal", you wanna fit-in----ANYWHERE----then, if that's not enough, you're an ASD person. You'll find your "place", just hang-in-there!!

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 12:15 pm

I noticed that your recent posts have been relatively aggressive (relative to how you usually post, they aren't actually offensive or anything). Don't give up, but it's fine to take a break.

At times, I wish I could 'die' for a year. I wish I could curl up in a ball and hibernate, and not have a care in the world, then come back after the nice long break.

Just keep going at a pace that suits you. There's no need to match your neurotypical peers. I know you're smart enough to know that.

I'm sure you've already got plenty of forum friends to talk to over there, but I'll always reply to PMs, or take in a rant if you feel the need.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 12:20 pm

Adamantium wrote:
If by giving up you mean suicide

no no no. i'm scared to death of dying. i just mean accept my limitations and give up on stuff i'm not cut out for instead of pushing myself too hard.

Adamantium wrote:

thanks, i needed that :)

Norny wrote:
I noticed that your recent posts have been relatively aggressive

really? huh. thanks for letting me know. it's easier for me to sound offensive for being blunt on the teen forums because of the setting. you know, finding kids around my age being really stupid and pointing it out.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 1:04 pm

EzraS wrote:
i've been trying to expand myself and it's just not working out. i completely bombed out of regular school. i've been getting in trouble in my nt forums lately for autistic blunders because i'm getting worn out being extra extra careful all the time. i'm just so sick and tired of all of it.

At your age I wish I could remember having forums like this one. I think you seem fine although perhaps the pixels on your panels might've been annexing one anothers' real estate.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Astros
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 May 2014, 1:23 pm

Actually, I'm going to compact all of that down into one sentence. 'The secret to success is never to give up' :)

Last edited by Astros on 30 May 2014, 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr_Cheeba
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2014, 1:58 pm

Never give up! When you give up you don't grow, when you don't grow you don't better yourself.

I've been in the same boat as you many times in my life. Suicide was even once a serious thought. F*ck the world, be who you want to be! Push yourself, do what you want to do.

Live, Laugh, Love and Lock yourself away for a week to recover :p

ReverieMe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 May 2014, 9:59 pm

A change of course or a good rest is better than giving up. What looks like the best (or only) path at first isn't always the best (or only) one.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 10:04 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448&feature=kp[/youtube]

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 10:23 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448&feature=kp[/youtube]

that was cool to watch. that's real similar to the kinda stuff i do for my dyspraxia.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 12:39 am

EzraS wrote:
that was cool to watch. that's real similar to the kinda stuff i do for my dyspraxia.

Yeah, it is cool.. but did you get the point?? :)

The point is you NEVER give up. Never ever ever! There is never a time to give up. Especially not on yourself, in any capacity.

If I'd have given up on myself at my worst, or at any point, I'd be - to put it concisely - completely f****d. Giving up was never an option. I went through some difficult times, but I knew I couldn't give up, so I didn't. I carried on. Eventually I learned & did what I needed to and am way better off for it.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 5:50 am

Sometimes you have to accept that you CAN'T do something...at least, not as others do.

For all the talk of being an "overcomer," a disability is just that...being unable to do something the normal population can do. People with disabilities work to find ways to overcome or compensate for how their disability affect them. In some situations, nothing you do will be enough.

In those situations, you accept the reality, make your peace with it, and try to move on to greener pastures rather than constantly try to get fruit from barren soil.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 7:37 am

Cmon, buddy, you have a long life ahead of you. Just take a little rest. Even superheroes need a rest sometimes. I'm sure Superman gets his 8 hours a sleep a night.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 8:10 am

When face with such I give myself permission to mentally just tell the world to bugger-off and leave me alone. Then I give myself whatever amount of time is needed for me to recharge. My primate drive for socialization eventually leads me to shake it all off, pick myself up, and have another go at it with a more realistic set of expectations of others and how they will most likely choose to relate to me.