Misdiagnosed... holding me up in getting insurance/etc

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

thedocoz123
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 May 2014, 4:00 am

When I was 11 I was misdiagnosed with Aspergers by a psychologist. It only took 2 meetings and slapped me with aspergers. My parents literally forced me to go there, just cause I wasn't doing good at school, I did have friends and stuff. Now I am 14 and receiving help I don't want and don't need and have plenty of friends.. I do have some aspie traits like good knowledge of history. But I just don't think I really fit into aspergers that much. My main problem is, is that the Diagnosis is holding me up on getting health insurance/or getting a job in the British army...

I need to know how I can get this off my medical records or something as this diagnosis is doing me no good and just makes me assosciate everything diffearent about me is ASPERGERS when it's just human nature... If I went back to the psychologist and he said it was a misdiagnosis, will that do any help? Will he amend my record saying aspergers or remove it? And if it's confirmed I don't have it, will I have to tell the armed forces about aspergers?

Thanks for any info...

TheConfuzzledAspie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 May 2014, 6:09 am

thedocoz123 wrote:
When I was 11 I was misdiagnosed with Aspergers by a psychologist. It only took 2 meetings and slapped me with aspergers. My parents literally forced me to go there, just cause I wasn't doing good at school, I did have friends and stuff. Now I am 14 and receiving help I don't want and don't need and have plenty of friends.. I do have some aspie traits like good knowledge of history. But I just don't think I really fit into aspergers that much. My main problem is, is that the Diagnosis is holding me up on getting health insurance/or getting a job in the British army...

I need to know how I can get this off my medical records or something as this diagnosis is doing me no good and just makes me assosciate everything diffearent about me is ASPERGERS when it's just human nature... If I went back to the psychologist and he said it was a misdiagnosis, will that do any help? Will he amend my record saying aspergers or remove it? And if it's confirmed I don't have it, will I have to tell the armed forces about aspergers?

Thanks for any info...

I was diagnosed with Asperger's when I was 5 years old, now I'm 15. I do believe I have Asperger's, but the things they did because of it is what I don't like. I was put in Special ed for a big amount of time, and it ruined me completely, I didn't develop normally, I was put in my own little room where I was to do this and do that. I was segregated, instututionalized, and mistreated as a whole. We've finally removed the special ed now, and that was really hard for me, because I didn't know how to handle real classrooms, it was hard at first, it still is sometimes but i've learned to cope with it. I understand the feeling when you say that you're getting help you don't want and don't need. I don't even act like an aspie most of the time, and I was still put in self-contained classrooms. No one realizes that I am who I am, therefor they put me in Therapy, insitutuions, and etc. On next friday btw, I'm getting tested for if I have Asperger's after all these years. I don't mind being an aspie, but what I hate is the stigma because of it, but such is the way of life in our NT society.

Message me whenever you want, I'm really talkative and I sure know what you're going through, you're describing me :)

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 May 2014, 11:15 am

Have you discussed this issue with your parents or with the school? Have the issues which led your parents to seek the original diagnosis disappeared?

So far as I know, it should be possible for you to make an appointment to see your family GP without your parents needing to know. It is possible that your family GP would have an opinion which is completely independent of your earlier history.

But your post raises more than one issue...

1. The casual use of applying the ASD label to children who simply fail to conform to expectations needs to be looked into.
2. If, as I was told by a clutch of NHS psychiatrists, ASD is purely a childhood issue, then surely the label should be removed from the records on the child's 18th birthday?

The only crumb of comfort I can offer you is that I have recent knowledge of a UK teenager who was turned down more than once by the British Army because of Asperger's, but was eventually accepted. I have no knowledge of the details, my information is purely anecdotal.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 11:32 am

Your general plan might be:

1) getting your parents on your side,

2) a new diagnosis,

3) developing some improved study methods so that school's not something which dogs you. For example, I'm primarily a story/narrative thinker and do great if I only take one technical class at a time, or if I've casually pre-studied the second class. And the rest of my classes are history, English, a narrative science like biology, etc.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 11:38 am

TheConfuzzledAspie wrote:
. . I was put in my own little room where I was to do this and do that. I was segregated, instututionalized, and mistreated as a whole. We've finally removed the special ed now, and that was really hard for me, because I didn't know how to handle real classrooms, it was hard at first, it still is sometimes but i've learned to cope with it. I understand the feeling when you say that you're getting help you don't want and don't need. .

Wow, this sounds terrible and I'm sorry this happened to you.

The way it's supposed to work is that you get the extra help for what you need and you're mainstreamed to the extent possible.

I'd even take it a step further and say the goal is to play to strength and be matter-of-fact about any deficiencies. But, too much of it is about the therapist being "right" and/or creating a job for the people who do the work. The so-called therapist seems to "need" the label more than the client!

TheConfuzzledAspie

31 May 2014, 6:36 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
TheConfuzzledAspie wrote:
. . I was put in my own little room where I was to do this and do that. I was segregated, instututionalized, and mistreated as a whole. We've finally removed the special ed now, and that was really hard for me, because I didn't know how to handle real classrooms, it was hard at first, it still is sometimes but i've learned to cope with it. I understand the feeling when you say that you're getting help you don't want and don't need. .

Wow, this sounds terrible and I'm sorry this happened to you.

The way it's supposed to work is that you get the extra help for what you need and you're mainstreamed to the extent possible.

I'd even take it a step further and say the goal is to play to strength and be matter-of-fact about any deficiencies. But, too much of it is about the therapist being "right" and/or creating a job for the people who do the work. The so-called therapist seems to "need" the label more than the client!

As my wonderful autistic brother told me, "Labels go on soup cans, not people" me and my family have struggled with incompetents who landed in the wrong jobs. Trusting so-called experts is the worst thing you can do in this life, they've caused so much harm for me and my loving brother.