Are there any subjects that dont require essay writing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Revival
Raven
Raven

21 May 2016, 12:30 pm

I am talking about advanced subjects/courses that would lead to a well paid job. Like accountancy,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_analysis
coding, anything else computer or number related I guess? I have strong autistic traits, and despise writing essays, a teeny bit is ok, maybe 10% or whatever. But I would love to know please, this could help me greatly :)

Cheers ladies and gents!

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 May 2016, 9:12 pm

I think the sciences don't need essays. To be sure, ask if the exams are corrected by computer. That would be because the exams will be only numbers. Maybe I should say "pure science." Anthropology, for example, is a science but it would require lots of essays. Become a scientist, maybe that would be least essays.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2016, 9:35 pm

I didn't get far enough in my course load to say for sure, but I don't believe Engineering includes much essay writing.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2016, 10:05 pm

Vocational/Trade-Schools. Mechanics, House-Building, Electrician, Carpentry, etc.

Revival wrote:
I am talking about advanced subjects/courses that would lead to a well paid job. Like accountancy,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_analysis
coding, anything else computer or number related I guess? I have strong autistic traits, and despise writing essays, a teeny bit is ok, maybe 10% or whatever. But I would love to know please, this could help me greatly :)

Cheers ladies and gents!

Good-paying jobs are actually now very far and few unless you're willing to sacrifice a lot of morals and ethics. Skilled Trade-Jobs are where it's at for consistent and useful work/employment. Otherwise you are better off taking the "inventor" path and create/invent your own job where you are able to identify real problems in society and creatively figure out how to offer solutions that people in society would consider to be a good investment.

Anything that saves people time from needing to slave-labour away just to be able to cover their own basic needs/expenses/essentials provides value and helps to strengthen/stabilise the economy... unlike pencil-pushing jobs that are just make-work-jobs that do absolutely nothing to maintain nor advance civilisation (you can be paid a lot of money to be hold up a telephone pole all day all you want, that would have stayed up on its own anyway, but no matter how much that job pays, that type of job is fundamentally useless to society)...

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 4:55 am

Engineering and related are light in the essays indeed (including maths, physics, chemistry, computers, coding, everything "Beta" and STEM).
you will write reports of the practical assignments, but those are very different from essays

Dawn Crow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 May 2016, 7:36 am

Revival wrote:
I have strong autistic traits, and despise writing essays, a teeny bit is ok, maybe 10% or whatever.

English grammar has rules, similar to coding; if the grammar is incorrect, the reader is unlikely to understand the idea you tried conveying, similar to coding. The layout and structure of sentences, clauses, and phrases is similar to how you lay out code. The advantage is that people can often work out the mistakes, whereas computers have difficulty or simply can't.

Learn grammar. Challenge yourself. It doesn't take more than a weekend or two (well, depends on your learning speed. I can do it in a day, so I think a weekend or two is ample time).

claireit
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 May 2016, 7:59 am

I guess it would depend on the courses you choose to enroll into. What I mean here is, for example, you can choose Math as your major/subject (call it whatever you want) but besides choosing what to study, you are choosing the courses and there is quite a list of them, one may actually get lost in there (just check this list). And I guess if course name starts with something like 'introduction to..' it may presuppose some essay writing. I also check some essays from jw and it turns out there is such a thing as science essay. So, I guess you should concentrate more on courses rather than on subjects/major. But still choose what you like doing. Don't simply choose Math because there won't be much of essay writing. I guess you can choose something you like even if you have to write essays. I guess you can learn how to write them. And it is always a smart choice to study what you like. Good luck. :wink: :wink:

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 8:59 am

If you go to any four year accredited university, you're going to do some writing. Even if you are an engineering or math major, you will still have to take an introductory class in the English department at the very least. Because employers want to hire people who can write coherently, many universities also have writing requirements for courses in other fields as well (at my college it was called a "substantial writing component".) If you are diagnosed, you may be able to get some accomodations--a writing tutor maybe, or extra time on essay tests.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 9:59 am

I majored in Graphic design for three years and I think I only had to write one essay the whole time for the graphics classes. I had to write some for my other classes, but not very much. I think a lot of it depends on where you go to school and who your instructors are too. I would ask an advisor and share with them your concern and they might be able to see what they can do to help. Good luck! :D

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 10:11 am

I despise essays, too. At least I know what the best job for me is: Writing! :D

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 11:55 am

izzeme wrote:
Engineering and related are light in the essays indeed (including maths, physics, chemistry, computers, coding, everything "Beta" and STEM).
you will write reports of the practical assignments, but those are very different from essays

True. Scientific writing is factual based. There is usually some room to speculate on data/results in the discussion sections of reports/articles.

However, I did have to write essays in grad school during certain classes. Most of these essays were during exams on a particular topic that we covered in detail. The main purpose was to see at what length did each person retain the important information on the topic at hand. Only a few of these essays were strictly opinion based.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 12:06 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
If you go to any four year accredited university, you're going to do some writing. Even if you are an engineering or math major, you will still have to take an introductory class in the English department at the very least. Because employers want to hire people who can write coherently, many universities also have writing requirements for courses in other fields as well (at my college it was called a "substantial writing component".) If you are diagnosed, you may be able to get some accomodations--a writing tutor maybe, or extra time on essay tests.

As an undergrad, the university that I attended had classes in my major that were listed as writing intensive (WI) classes. What that meant is the laboratory portion often had written reports due each week. Each report averaged between 10 to 60 pages long, length greatly depended upon the type of experiment that was conducted and the data collected. Most were 20 pages long. They were critiqued by other students for errors (part of our overall grade) and then graded by the professor. We were required to have a certain amount of these WI classes in our major or we could not graduate with the Bachelors degree from that university. While a giant PITA to do, it helped me become a much better writer.

Billywasjr
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 May 2016, 8:13 pm

I have a BS & MS in math, had to write essays for the BS in required general education subjects, but no essays in grad school. I'm an actuary now and some of the exams don't require essays, but some do, though they are fact-based open-ended questions really, not essays like in philosophy class. I think I picked the wrong career though, I should've been some type of engineer.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 9:56 pm

I just want to add that I have encountered some engineers, accountants, MBAs and even PhDs whose writing was atrocious. Don't be that guy. Learn how to write, even though you may hate to do it. It's a matter of pride and self-respect - as well as respect for others. If your writing is sloppy, it says to your reader "I don't much care about you."