Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 4:04 pm

I'm curious to know how many of us could handle Disney. I know it would be hard for me because I have a hard time with super long lines and crowds. Plus, I'd be overloaded with the joy and excitement as well. They have a new DAS card where you get a return time for a ride, and the when that return time comes, you have to walk back to the ride. Both my parents are physically-challenged (I say that because they can walk, but not for very long distances), and it would make it harder on them as well as me to have to deal with an autistic daughter with severe meltdowns.

So, what do you think? Would you be able to survive Disney, even with the new DAS card? How about if you didn't have the DAS card at all?

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2014, 4:10 pm

I went to Disney World when I was 11 and it didn't go horribly. It was a very draining experience, though. I ended up being pretty sick throughout the week I was there, just because it too overloading for me. That said, I do not think it would go so smoothly now, 9 years later. I do not think I'd be able to tolerate Disney.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 4:14 pm

calstar2 wrote:
I went to Disney World when I was 11 and it didn't go horribly. It was a very draining experience, though. I ended up being pretty sick throughout the week I was there, just because it too overloading for me. That said, I do not think it would go so smoothly now, 9 years later. I do not think I'd be able to tolerate Disney.

I went in the first and second grade. I had a blast, but at the time... my autism was very mild. We also didn't know I had autism either. I guess as a child, my autism was more mild, but now it's gone up to about a mild to moderate degree, depending on my mood.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 4:39 pm

I'm not sure I would even survive the plane ride, let alone Disney World. Couldn't even go on an hour-long ferry boat ride without suffering an anxiety attack. :(

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

16 Oct 2014, 5:24 pm

I'd love it, are you kidding me? If any of you ever are "forced" to go there I'll gladly take your place! Teheehehe

"Don't be That One Aspie..."

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 8:06 pm

I hate regular amusement parks because they drain the life out of me and the rides are boring.

I hate Disney because their "golden age" (i.e. 1940s and a little afterwards) has far ended and now mad grab films and companies like Google.

I think I would have a meltdown and be in intense pain.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 8:39 pm

When I visited USA I was nowhere near Disney World or Disneyland, and I've never been to France.

But I very much enjoyed the amusement parks I have been to, and I just loved the roller coasters. The lines could be annoying, but that's just the way things are. I wasn't there alone. Crowds don't really bother me. It's not like I'm gonna interact with them.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

jayjayuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2014, 10:03 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I'm not sure I would even survive the plane ride, let alone Disney World. Couldn't even go on an hour-long ferry boat ride without suffering an anxiety attack. :(

^^ This!

grbiker
Raven
Raven

16 Oct 2014, 10:13 pm

My SO and I took our son to Disneyland for a day on our way back from San Diego. I initially was petrified by the idea, but I took a look at the layout of the place online and was fascinated by the organization, how it flowed from one environment to the other. So I decided I would go and have a good time immersing myself in a thoroughly fictitious world.

My main task was to work out a plan to experience everything on our "must see" list, and keep us oriented. We were able to do all that as well as a few surprises without being rushed, lost or stressed.

We all had a very enjoyable time.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 11:48 pm

I don't think I would, I hate line ups and crowds. I can usually tolerate those things quite well to a point if I am really interested in the end result for doing it. I have no interest in Disney parks though so that would not work.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 11:57 pm

I went to disney land when I was younger, I didn't like it I hated walking, having to ride games, crowds/people- this was the thing I hated the most.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 2:07 am

I go to Orlando about once a year and I go at an off season time when their are less people and prices are much lower. I enjoy going to Disney World, Universal Studios and just about everything in between. Just remember to keep a pair of ear plug on hand and map out all the location of the restrooms, fine restaurants, dark theaters or any location that you can use to decompress. If you know when to go and know how to managed yourself, then you can have a great time.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 2:21 am

I survived it just fine in 1991 when I was 9 years old. We all had a lot of fun.

bungleton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Oct 2014, 4:43 am

I went when I was about 10 years old... My memory of it was that IT WAS FREAKIN' AWESOME :twisted:

We went during the off season so the crowds were thin and it was just me and my folks, so I was the primary focus :oops:
I think that my folks intuitively knew where and when certain things were appropriate for me.

My favourite memory was the speed water slide at the... Water.. Themed... Park... I forget what it was called.
Get all the way to the top, sit there, contemplate... The attendant hits a red button, slight pause, *clik*
One moment, forever frozen in time... Gravity paused, the EPCOT centre right in front on this impossibly flat landscape.
BLUE
...Then I was at the bottom.
BEST RIDE EVER.

I'd probably freak the heck out if I were there today though :P

Everyone's watching!
So here... Are my hopes and aspirations
Nothing but puke
God, I'm so loooooonelaaaaaaayyyy
*power stance, air guitar*

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 5:39 am

For me the crowds and flashing lights of a big amusement park like the crowds and flashing lights of a big city are fascinating, fun and stressful. I both enjoy them and get stressed by them. Like I love spicy food and get indigestion from it. But a place like Disney Land or World I would prefer to have a nearby hotel room where I could decompress. So under those conditions I could not just be able to handle but really enjoy Disney Land or World --- BUT, there is NO way I could possibly handle any of the serious thrill rides. For me the horses on the Merry-go-round would be too much. I would be able to handle riding in the carriage though. :nerdy:

- Albert Einstein

Greenhat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Oct 2014, 6:58 am

I lived without the card! I did have a bit of a meltdown on one day, with the heat and the noise and the people and the crushing press and being scared of losing my family, but I think I coped surprisingly well!