Do device noises bother you when you try to sleep?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 10:32 pm

Like the hum of a t.v. or circuits popping drive me nuts! I Googled leaving my PS3 on overnight but don't want to hear the fans going all night it'd drive me mad! I hate the POPPING of electronics as you turn them off at night they pop. Can anyone relate? For this reason I'll turn my PS3 on tomorrow most of the day and hope I can download the 2 games quickly. Ones at 50% the 2nd at 11% hopefully by all day tomorrow they'll both be done downloading. So glad the PS4 is quiet and downloads stuff in sleep mode Wake up Tuesday morning to play the new Korra game NO PROBLEMS YA! My internet sucks 8 hrs. or so later and only at those percents.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 10:37 pm

Oh for sure. I keep all electronic devices apart from my phone outside of my bedroom these days. If I'm in the same room as a TV or something while trying to sleep, I turn it off at the wall, otherwise I can often hear them (also it gets rid of the little LED light). I used to keep my reptile enclosures in my bedroom but the hum of the thermostats was too infuriating.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 10:42 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
Like the hum of a t.v. or circuits popping drive me nuts! I Googled leaving my PS3 on overnight but don't want to hear the fans going all night it'd drive me mad! I hate the POPPING of electronics as you turn them off at night they pop. Can anyone relate? For this reason I'll turn my PS3 on tomorrow most of the day and hope I can download the 2 games quickly. Ones at 50% the 2nd at 11% hopefully by all day tomorrow they'll both be done downloading. So glad the PS4 is quiet and downloads stuff in sleep mode Wake up Tuesday morning to play the new Korra game NO PROBLEMS YA! My internet sucks 8 hrs. or so later and only at those percents.

It depends on the noise. Rain and thunderstorms usually don't bother me, but let a fire siren go off outside my bedroom window, and all hell breaks loose. I can be streaming Classic99.com (formerly known as KFUO-FM), and will drop off to sleep, but start streaming punk rock, and I'm liable to decapitate you.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 10:56 pm

Yes when I hear popping noises from my TV I'm always worried that it's going to short and cause a fire then there's faint electrical humming that I hear sometimes which keeps me up. Tho I tend to sleep best with the TV on or the sound of air coming through the vents (white noise I guess) however since I moved into another room so that I could have a dedicated room to watch tv in and dedicated room to cool off in and sleep I don't have too much issues with noises.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 11:41 pm

No, on the contrary; I usually find them very relaxing.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 11:44 pm

I cannot sleep in pitch quiet [mixed metaphor I know ;) ] but must have some steady state droning noise like a fan or brown noise generator going on in the background, it masks other sounds that would normally keep me away, such as neighbor noises or ticking clocks. I cannot sleep with a ticking clock in the background, each tick is like a little hammer tapping on me noggin.

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2014, 11:51 pm

Clocks used to bug me A LOT. However... I'm not sure if I outgrew it, or it's just because I don't sleep with clocks. It's just annoying being able to anticipate exactly when it will tick again. I don't really mind fans though... it's kind of nice to have the white noise. Obviously it helps with tinnitus as well.

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 12:27 am

auntblabby wrote:
I cannot sleep in pitch quiet [mixed metaphor I know ;) ] but must have some steady state droning noise like a fan or brown noise generator going on in the background, it masks other sounds that would normally keep me away, such as neighbor noises or ticking clocks. I cannot sleep with a ticking clock in the background, each tick is like a little hammer tapping on me noggin.

What's better than a fan for me is the late night snow-muffled sound of a snow blower in the winter, a common sound in Michigan.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 12:41 am

RichardJ wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

What's better than a fan for me is the late night snow-muffled sound of a snow blower in the winter, a common sound in Michigan.

sounds nice but that sound would be even better without the actual snow.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 12:44 am

I like to sleep with a fan on, usually I have a small fan on right beside the bed, plus the ceiling fan. The white noise drowns out other little background noises in the house like clocks ticking, or the refrigerator. But if the ceiling fan starts making creaking sounds, it drives me crazy.

I hate to sleep with a TV on. I can drift off to sleep while a TV is playing, but it will make me have weird dreams and in a short time I will wake up feeling really disoriented and maybe with my heart racing.

If I had a computer in my bedroom, yes the sounds of the processor and such would keep me awake.

bungleton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Oct 2014, 3:21 am

There's this ultra-high pitched noise in my room that I can hear at night. It drives me mental. I can't place what it might be, maybe my phone charger or something? It's kept me awake on more than one occasion.

Everyone's watching!
So here... Are my hopes and aspirations
Nothing but puke
God, I'm so loooooonelaaaaaaayyyy
*power stance, air guitar*

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 3:40 am

bungleton wrote:
There's this ultra-high pitched noise in my room that I can hear at night. It drives me mental. I can't place what it might be, maybe my phone charger or something? It's kept me awake on more than one occasion.

as you grow older I will bother you less and less, I guarantee it.

bungleton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Oct 2014, 4:23 am

Heh, I'm well on my towards diminished hearing :P

Everyone's watching!
So here... Are my hopes and aspirations
Nothing but puke
God, I'm so loooooonelaaaaaaayyyy
*power stance, air guitar*

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 4:34 am

When I on holiday I was in a hotel near alot of restaurants and bars, so I shut the window and put the air con on, but I couldn't sleep because of the noise it was making. I slept better listening to the chatter outside and clink of glasses rather than the sound of the fan.

My fridge at home drives me nuts. Whoever designed my apartment put the bedroom next to the kitchen and the fridge clicking on and whirring wakes me up at night sometimes.

Oh and clocks drive me demented. I can only have a digital clock in my bedroom.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2014, 8:07 am

I got used to the sound of a very noisy old window-unit air conditioner kicking on and off all night, because the roar of that was preferable to soaking in my own sweat in an apartment that could be 90 degrees Fahrenheit even at night due to the heat of the day storing up in the bricks (it was a brick building). It's amazing what you can put up with if another need is more pressing.

Now I'm in a different climate and I still quite like a small fan whirring all night. If there is complete silence I can enjoy that too, but then I start noticing a very quiet hum coming from my digital video recorder if I've left it powered on and it's recording. Amazing how that small sound can bother me yet a roaring jet engine next to me (that old air conditioner) was something I got used to.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2014, 10:22 am

I can't have a ticking clock in my room. I have a small battery operated clock as a back-up alarm source (when I was working I was always paranoid my electric one wouldn't go off, my neighbourhood seems to have frequent 3-second power outages; it has a battery back-up but a battery leaked in it so it doesn't work) but the ticking would only remind me how much time was going by, and make my insomnia worse. I'd have to put it all the way down the hall on a small table.

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196