Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 2:45 pm

Is it common to, despite having a high / very high IQ, have such skills in only certain areas? I perform highly in certain areas of science (but not equally in all parts of science) but when it comes to areas outside science and mathematics, I struggle a bit (most noticeably in Literature - I cannot read fiction at all and even struggle with watching films, although I am good with languages and I used to play the piano).

I sometimes feel "stupid" because I don't perform highly in all areas.

I can do such rapid mental arithmetic that I often produce an answer before I consciously try to do it. I can memorise huge amounts of information about medical / psychopharmacology topics. I can memorise a train map in under 15 minutes. I can also speed read efficiently.

I was asked questions about something I hadn't read about since I was in secondary school doing my A-Levels and I was stuck (I'm 25 now), because I feel that my memory and reasoning had decided to move that information into deletion zone. I felt stupid. Does anyone else have this problem?

I had an offical IQ test by an experienced educational psychologist. I have an IQ of 160, officially. I just feel it doesn't always "show" and that makes me a bit anxious.

Is this related to my autism?

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 2:59 pm

You don't have to be good at everything.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 3:03 pm

True.

My communication disability makes it hard for me to get my point across.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 3:22 pm

Severity of autism can splinter abilities.

LonelyLobster
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 May 2015, 3:26 pm

Hi,
I have scored very highly on IQ tests in the past. I also seem to have the same deletion zone problem as you! For example, I used to know lots about Greek, Roman and Egyptian mythology and now it is as if I never knew that in the first place.

I am very good at some things (physics is my forte), but lousy at other things (can not copy or remember strings of numbers such as credit card numbers; very clumsy). I figure everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Mine are just a bit more extreme in range. It helps my self esteem to value the things I am good at, and not care what other people think about me. Sometimes, I let people patronise me and treat me like I am stupid because I know I am not and it's going to get what needs to be done, done quicker. Does that make sense?

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 May 2015, 3:51 pm

My I.Q is not high. Its not low, its varied on tests from 116-127 its slightly above average. Dyslexia,dyscalculia,exectutive function issues etc. reason im posting is i noticed the "deletion zone". I have similar issues i become proficient at something then after a while i forget how to do it? What is the science,corrct terminology behind this? I sometimes look at stuff ive posted on forums and i cant even remember posting it and the info in it i dont seem to know it anymore. Id go as far to say that sometimes its as if its someone else writing ut even though i know its me. Strange i know. Or is that something others go yhrough?

androm01374
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 May 2015, 4:48 pm

I have the same issue and my IQ is 170 (as documented on primary school records; a later test indicated 160). I'd like to ask you a few questions... Disregarding any current special interests, do you generally have a wide array of interests? Do you feel particularly "intuitive"? By that I mean, do you often reach accurate conclusions without actively considering anything? This seems especially evident in social situations. Do you feel hindered by linear thought (find your thoughts hopping around logically without any motive or process)? Are you impatient/easily distracted? Sorry, I've asked too many things.

I used to love literature and film but have no patience for either now. My thoughts move from one idea to the next without provocation and often when I try to verbalize or even type them, I can't form cogent thoughts even though I have a good vocabulary. I also love researching and memorizing medical/psychopharmacological topics, but also neuroscience and physics. I cannot seem to remember things I don't have an explicit desire to retain. Also, I tend to overthink questions because I assume they cannot possibly be as simple as they seem. This happened during both the ACT and SAT, and I ran out of time before answering every question in both cases. I am also likely to get lost in thought during tests and lectures. I think Aspergers might make it difficult for us to govern over our minds, (lack of ToM and whatnot) so even when we feel like we're in control of our cognition, what is usually described by others as a stream of consciousness may resemble a ...tree of consciousness in us (I empathize deeply with your use of parenthesis).

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 5:18 pm

Do I guess correctly that you take for granted that IQ is significantly related to, not only academic abilities, but academic abilities across sub-disciplines? While there is, so I hear, a correlation between IQ and academic performance, the explicit relationship between IQ test scores and specific academic skills is not well-articulated because IQ tests differ quite a bit from tests of academic ability (that includes everything from homework to exams), and because academic performance is affected by extra-academic factors such as executive function and the extent of one's personal support network.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 May 2015, 5:33 pm

I experience the same things though I tend to be able to recall information of a particular subject if asked it doesn't get "deleted" or disposed. I tend to have a linear logical thought process that leads me on long tangents into areas removed from the general conversation at hand. They occur from the time I awake till I fall asleep. I often am told I'm staring through people if my gaze is locked on them when it happens. I actually don't even realize they are still there as the thought, which usually represents itself as images, is what I am looking at and focused on. This even happens doing mundane tasks for instance when I paint.

I think it's part of the package of having ASD whether you call it Asperger's or HFA, perfectionism is a common personality trait. I find that for myself it stems from always being pushed to be more like others in my peer range. I'm finding that controlling that need to be perfect helps minimize the need to demoralize myself when I'm not.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 6:17 pm

roger199
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Mar 2017, 7:32 am

The brain wiring is quite plastic. If you think in certain ways about certain things with autistic intensity that wiring gets better in that area. What's wrong with that why not let brain plasticity help you solve a problem no one can ? Iq tests done in childhood would hopefully get the education system to intervene and not see the rarer intellects waisted beyond that it's overated as adults .

/

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 9:18 am

To be smarter in one area, a brain has to allocate more grey matter, and/or organize it better. I've never heard of a genius without at least one stupid zone. One astronomer of quite shattering eminence thought that our noses pointed down to shield them from alien micrometeorites, as if he'd never seen dust floating in a sunbeam. Usually, the range of disability is larger than the field of specialization. Feynman was celebrated as a very rare example of party animal and Nobel winner. I've even heard people marvel that mathematicians manage to reproduce. NTs spend an awful lot of attention keeping track of their "tribe members." A simple algorithm can get us through most interactions, but not build a relationship.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 9:27 am

A (Very) High IQ only means that you have spent more time doing things that have conditioned you into being able to answer IQ-Tests quickly. This has more to do with the «rigged» conformist-systems than it does to do with you as an individual or any so-called autism. I guarantee you. Your IQ can continue to increase if you simply take a lot of IQ-Tests. Everything you need to know about IQ-Tests and their legitimacy can be read at this link...

http://ebtx.com/ntun/ntuniq.htm

SteelMaiden wrote:
Is it common to, despite having a high / very high IQ, have such skills in only certain areas? I perform highly in certain areas of science (but not equally in all parts of science) but when it comes to areas outside science and mathematics, I struggle a bit (most noticeably in Literature - I cannot read fiction at all and even struggle with watching films, although I am good with languages and I used to play the piano).

I sometimes feel "stupid" because I don't perform highly in all areas.

I can do such rapid mental arithmetic that I often produce an answer before I consciously try to do it. I can memorise huge amounts of information about medical / psychopharmacology topics. I can memorise a train map in under 15 minutes. I can also speed read efficiently.

I was asked questions about something I hadn't read about since I was in secondary school doing my A-Levels and I was stuck (I'm 25 now), because I feel that my memory and reasoning had decided to move that information into deletion zone. I felt stupid. Does anyone else have this problem?

I had an offical IQ test by an experienced educational psychologist. I have an IQ of 160, officially. I just feel it doesn't always "show" and that makes me a bit anxious.

Is this related to my autism?

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 9:32 am

roger199 wrote:
The brain wiring is quite plastic. If you think in certain ways about certain things with autistic intensity that wiring gets better in that area. What's wrong with that why not let brain plasticity help you solve a problem no one can ?
/

I am trying to do just that with one of my research projects: How to form sustained anti-matter particles without undergoing the pair production process.

As for the question about having high abilities in some subjects, yet struggle with others, I have experienced this myself. I have always been quite strong in science, math and history topics. While growing up, my reading ability was always been almost a decade above my age group. That made for some interesting conversations with the school librarian, as I had to request books that she did not expect me to be asking for. (I guess I scared her with some of my topics that I was interested in.) But, I constantly struggled with my language and spelling skills in English classes. My language/spelling skills did get better over time after being forced to write paper after paper for different courses in college.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 8:05 pm

Is this bad? I had 2 IQ tests close together and I had a 68 on 1 and 70 on the other. Is that bad or low for a person autism or for anyone in general?

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 8:13 pm

androm01374 wrote:
[the] stream of consciousness may resemble a ... tree of consciousness in us.

This is a characteristic of manic-depressive illness also, where it is sometimes called dendritic thinking.

There Are Four Lights!