I interview Steve Silberman about his bestselling book, Neurotribes

Page 10 of 11 [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 1:37 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
There is another group of people who want to create autism communities apart from larger society.
They are more practical, but I don't want to isolate from larger society, so I don't fit into their ideals either.

The idea of separatism is a thing that happens with a lot of activist communities based around a group identity. That doesn't make sense to me either. The particular needs of that kind of effort, e.g., setting up an intentional community for lesbian separatists, does call for a lot of practical focus, but the ideals are what drives all of that.

btbnnyr wrote:
Another thing I have trouble with is that I rarely get what others are saying about autism in terms of their personal eggsperience. There is little match between mine and theirs, it seems. I don't feel what they feel, but many people do, so there are plenty of people all empathizing with each other, and I have no idea what they are talking about most of the time.
It seems to me this is an intrinsic part of the "spectrum" idea. There are sub groups within the spectrum where people have certain traits and other subgroups that seem quite different, so one would expect different people on the spectrum to get each other or not to differing degrees. It seems to me that part of the neurodiversity idea is respecting these differences and taking them into consideration, maybe something some groups are still learning how to do.

Alyosha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2015, 12:06 pm

i read the book and the interview. i have not read this thread.

i liked the book and the interview. however for me the book made me feel quite isolated as an autistic person who is not good at maths, science or technology because of all the talk about how we are supposed to be great at that.

i am not great at any of that. im interested in technology and science and my technology skills are above average, but they're nothing amazing. my interests are in social sciences but the books sort of made me feel like they shouldn't be. like i should be really interested in sciences and maths instead. but im just not good at maths at all. i can barely do basic addition and subtraction.

the history parts made me sad. overall the book made me sad.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 2:52 pm

Alyosha wrote:

i liked the book and the interview. however for me the book made me feel quite isolated as an autistic person who is not good at maths, science or technology because of all the talk about how we are supposed to be great at that.

i am not great at any of that. im interested in technology and science and my technology skills are above average, but they're nothing amazing. my interests are in social sciences but the books sort of made me feel like they shouldn't be. like i should be really interested in sciences and maths instead. but im just not good at maths at all. i can barely do basic addition and subtraction.

You don't have to be good at or interested in math, science, or tech.
Many autistic people are interested in social sciences or humanities too.
Or art and music.
Even sports, there are autistic people who are good at sports.
All kinds of interests and talents in autism, just like in neurotypicals.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 4:37 pm

Alyosha wrote:

Can not answer theft the way aI want captchas blowing away my answer multiple times I mostly agree the should not have limit suspected historical figures and some topics are brutal

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 11:04 pm

Alyosha wrote:

I think those autistics who develop great talents do so only because they were lucky enough to develop them within a supportive environment. In those cases where you're kept from obsessing over your special interests by parents or teachers, you're going to be held back.

There's also the style of teaching. Even if it is on an interesting topic, it may be entirely tailored towards NT learning styles, making an aspie jump throughthe wrong kind of hoops, and unable to achieve their full potential.

Also depending on the age at which you end up becoming depressed, that too can hold you back, because it can utterly sap any motivation you may have to do anything.

LeeD
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Nov 2015, 6:13 pm

I got this book on Audible and am listening to it for the 3rd time. I highly recommend listening to it, over reading it... At least for me, I didn't catch a lot of what I caught the 2nd time. And with the third time and catching nearly all of it. This book is fantastic! Thank you for interviewing him. And thanks to Steve for writing such an amazing, insightful book.

KallyFowler
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Nov 2015, 12:35 pm

great

Sjero
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Dec 2015, 8:36 am

Thank you so much for writing this article and to the author for writing the book. I will be reading it soon because I am trying to mend the wounds on my psyche from growing up with the constant message from family, church, and peers that I am not good enough, that there is something deeply wrong with me, that I am shameful and evil because I've been autistic, fat, queer and trans since as far back as I can remember. To hear my family talk, as soon as I began to assert my personality around age four, I became a lost cause! But now I'm beginning to understand the reasons they said these things and why I am how I am, which is helping me gain self confidence and find some peace. I've gotten them to respect me and stop bullying me. I hope other kids' families can instead have compassion and acceptance for their autistic family members because they've learned better from books like these that are accessible to laypeople.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2015, 1:07 pm

Thank you for linking this

Poor motivation

Ersatz Einstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2016, 7:16 pm

I just finished the book. As a fan of Asperger's who started learning German in part to read Autische Psychopathen in the original, I love reading about psychiatric and diagnostic history, and as furious (particularly at Kanner and Lovaas) as some parts made me, the ending was wonderful.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 4:08 pm

Very impressive read.

Mosborn
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jul 2016, 10:10 pm

Thanks for sending me an email about this article, Alex. I enjoyed the article very much. I posted it on my Facebook page because it's so interesting, I think it might help my friends understand more about the issues, I hope it will help a particular friend see what I am trying to say when I tell her that understanding, patience, and respect is better than "prevent and cure," and I think it will encourage a friend who has a young boy with autism. She's doing a fantastic job raising him, and I think this will help her.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 5:05 pm

Recent interview (this month) with Steve Silberman:

https://autisticuk.org/interview-with-steve-silberman/

"People with autistic traits helped us get to the moon, built a free global amateur radio network that anticipated the Internet, predicted the existence of antimatter, and made us feel the exquisite beauty of Bach — and that’s just a few random examples from one category of neurodivergence that I happened to run across for my book. If you think of how many major cultural advancements have been made by people who were bipolar, schizotypal, or chronically depressed, you start to realize that neurodiversity is not just about the contributions of individual geniuses, but about the whole texture of human culture. How do we treat the people who are working with us, but who may not think like us, on the grand project of advancing human culture? That may be the essential question of the early 21st Century."