I interview Steve Silberman about his bestselling book, Neurotribes

Page 4 of 11 [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2015, 11:44 pm

trayder wrote:
@ Norny

No. Because you are a social primitive and a flawed one and yet you presume to tell me you know or understand the core issues from this clearly half arsed world view.

LOL

didn't realize I signed up on 4chan

trayder
Toucan
Toucan

30 Sep 2015, 11:51 pm

Norny wrote:
trayder wrote:
@ Norny

No. Because you are a social primitive and a flawed one and yet you presume to tell me you know or understand the core issues from this clearly half arsed world view.

LOL

didn't realize I signed up on 4chan

That is the problem with you NT's. You never stay on topic but drift off in your uniquely cryptic style, which is clearly another one of your subtleties. However, we are in a forum for autistics, not in front of the tv and your humour is lost on me.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 12:02 am

trayder wrote:
That is the problem with you NT's. You never stay on topic but drift off in your uniquely cryptic style, which is clearly another one of your subtleties. However, we are in a forum for autistics, not in front of the tv and your humour is lost on me.

This is a sub-forum to talk about anything related to autism. That's what was happening. You're free to disagree/rage/ignore my opinions. I occasionally post something that views autism in a negative manner - I am doing exactly what many people here have claimed to want, expressing my honest self without extreme sugar coating etc. that they hate to receive from NTs in real life. I like to post views that oppose a generally accepted view because it generates more interesting discussion.

Yes, perhaps negative opinions aren't helpful to a majorly autistic audience, as that John article suggested. I disagree with we should be emphasizing human vulnerability, however. Occasionally people will be offended, or read something they find confronting. All I can do is minimize the excess damage I may cause by posting something controversial. I don't hate autistic people, I have had some as my friends for god sake. The amount of NT hate here has far exceeded the autistic hate (for obvious reasons) and nobody really gives a s**t about that because it doesn't affect them. I don't really care about it anymore, either, but I like to argue against it because it's entertaining.

All you did was try and personally attack me, so that's how I responded, better than attacking you back IMO. My humour doesn't care for an audience, I will post what I feel like so long as it doesn't break the rules.

trayder
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2015, 12:12 am

@ Norny

I did not attack you. I labelled you disabled according to my logical world view. I view your (default) tribalism as a form of inferior consciousness. Reducing the autism spectrum down to its most vulnerable without the context of the NT spectrum and its frailties is distracting.

Thus whilst you may have prowess at sports and the physical skills, on the consciousness scale, I find your irrational and unrelated propensities essentially a handicap for your effective functioning. I object to those of your ilk being in charge and clearly this is a hurdle we will need to leap.

In the meantime you are at liberty to prattle away ad nauseum so feel free.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 12:35 am

trayder wrote:
Thus whilst you may have prowess at sports and the physical skills, on the consciousness scale, I find your irrational and unrelated propensities essentially a handicap for your effective functioning. I object to those of your ilk being in charge and clearly this is a hurdle we will need to leap. Reducing the autism spectrum down to its most vulnerable without the context of the NT spectrum and its frailties is distracting.

In the meantime you are at liberty to prattle away ad nauseum so feel free.

Uhh, I didn't reduce it down to its most vulnerable, I considered its nature as a medical disorder. I have OCD, tics etc. and I don't think they're the best thing in the world either, LOL. Who wouldn't want to be the most perfect NT if born again, able to cruise through life. If I could choose to be born into a rich family or a poor family (both kind families), guess which one I'd choose? Not the poor one so I could 'come out of it a better person'.

The NT spectrum isn't even useful to consider outside of comparing non-autistic individuals to autistic individuals in scientific studies. NT is just a vague term that refers to all who are not autistic. Feel free to continue to imagine that all NTs are just sport loving, physical psychopaths, though. Now that's narrow.

trayder wrote:
I did not attack you. I labelled you disabled according to my logical world view. I view your (default) tribalism as a form of inferior consciousness.

1. No. Because you are a social primitive and a flawed one and yet you presume to tell me you know or understand the core issues from this clearly half arsed world view.

2. if so, it amply illustrates my point that everything with those of your mindset is reduced to bare tribalism.

3. Clearly in your world view being narrowly tribal as it is

So it wouldn't be an attempt to attack you if I called you a stupid as*hole because I could claim I was referencing your humanity? Thought NTs were meant to be the cryptic, deceptive ones. :jester:

Why do you refer to yourself as differently abled but NTs as disabled? And if you're fine with holding such views, why were you so mad regarding what I posted? Are you saying it's a matter of perspective (your world view)? If so, why bother medically treating autism but not neurotypicality? I can only presume you vehemently favour autism as the superior way of life, at least your case of autism, because my friend definitely needed treatment for his sensory issues, emotional problems and academic disadvantages. Yes he has positives too likely as a result of autism, I'll say that so you don't explode all over me

trayder
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2015, 12:50 am

@ Norny

It is you who is injecting emotion by cryptic character assassination. I am simply calling you as you are...someone who has a tendency to hide behind his skin pallor or veiled ridicule than address the issues. Nor do I want to be an NT. I have a supremely logical mind and consider the tribal subtleties of NT culture a form of regressed consciousness,

In the ideal world, physical prowess has its advantages in terms of bedding NT females but beyond that, does one really want to endure their proclivities for the rest of their life. I think not.

This is a rather drab place to be parked for a life but if one is to be here, an improvement in the current set of illogical arrangements will help.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 1:00 am

trayder wrote:
@ Norny

It is you who is injecting emotion by cryptic character assassination. I am simply calling you as you are...someone who has a tendency to hide behind his skin pallor or veiled ridicule than address the issues. Nor do I want to be an NT. I have a supremely logical mind and consider the tribal subtleties of NT culture a form of regressed consciousness,

In the ideal world, physical prowess has its advantages in terms of bedding NT females but beyond that, does one really want to endure their proclivities for the rest of their life. I think not.

This is a rather drab place to be parked for a life but if one is to be here, an improvement in the current set of illogical arrangements will help.

WTF is a skin pallor and how am I hiding behind that

I have an extremely fun and kinky mind and don't care for the pretentious nature of so called, human logic, for thee is parched and will get my wizardry nowhere

other than that I'm done, my enjoyment proclivities are cryptically exhausted, -launches tribal escape pod

trayder
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2015, 1:06 am

@ Norny

Oh, please, spare me that "kinky, I'm being funny" BS. You can play those games with one another but not with me.

I am pretty much done with you...you bore me.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 1:14 am

trayder wrote:
@ Norny

Oh, please, spare me that "kinky, I'm being funny" BS. You can play those games with one another but not with me.

I am pretty much done with you...you bore me.

lol you're drier than a sack of dates

kthxbai

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 9:40 am

Norny wrote:
I haven't read the book but I've read online that part of its message is to highlight that autism is a difference rather than a disability, and if it rarely talks about LFA, you've got bias there.

This is not an approach I can respect.

Why not read the book before expressing a provisional opinion and taking provisional umbrage?
Would the world be poorer for the brief wait for this opinion?

I've read online that the blood moons would herald the end of the world and reptilian aliens hiding in human shells control the world through royal families and secret societies, but it's been suggested that not everything one reads online--shocking, I know--is necessarily completely true.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 10:03 am

Derailing topic, and the point that you can't comment on what you haven't (fully) read, is blatant, the guy who sells books about blood or hollow moons would do exactly the same.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 12:05 pm

JMM71 wrote:
Interesting read. I'd like to suggest one correction however. In one part, it is stated "But I realized that I did not have to invest so much energy in what neurotypicals do all the time, which is what I would call reputation management. You walk into a room, you figure out who the powerful, cute, or cool people are and then you try to impress them; and neurotypicals put a lot of energy into that..." Actually that's what neurotypical EXTROVERTS do. As an NT Introvert, who is a also member of a few Introvert forums, I feel I can safely make the statement that "reputation management" as described is not something we Introverts think of doing when we walk in the room. We are usually wondering why we came to a place full of people we don't know or hoping we don't get stuck making small talk or wondering how long we have to stay before it wouldn't be considered rude to leave.

Do you feel that such behavior is stigmatized? Why are there Introvert forums? What is it that creates the need for community there?

My guess is that it would be correct to say that the dominant culture is that of extroverted neurotypicals.
Perhaps introverts and people on the spectrum both experience some form of negative reaction from the dominant culture when they exceed the very narrow tolerance it has for deviation from expected behavior.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 2:13 pm

I don't think NTs are primitive or regressed in any way.
NTs are fine, they have good social cognition that helps in many activities like cooperating with others on tasks.
I see this in action all the time.

stevesilberman
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Oct 2015, 2:54 pm

@norny: I haven't read the book but I've read online that part of its message is to highlight that autism is a difference rather than a disability, and if it rarely talks about LFA, you've got bias there.

I actually find it incredibly depressing that people are willing to reiterate even the most blatantly incorrect statements made by people who obviously haven't read the book instead of checking them first-hand. My book talks about people with all forms of autism and stresses the point that autism is a disability, rather than, say, a modern plague caused by vaccines or pesticides or Wi-Fi or whatever. Before talking about my "bias," try reading the book!

trayder
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2015, 2:56 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
NTs are fine, they have good social cognition that helps in many activities like cooperating with others on tasks.

This is not a subjective matter but rather a matter of fundamental tendencies in a species. All species but man are driven by code or genetics, much like a computer. Thus they are effectively on a pre-set programme or auto pilot and act to further their own genetic sequencing. When they act as a herd vis a vis another herd, thy act to further the coding of their herd.

Thus they act on auto pilot and there is prfection in that flawless process, apparent cruelty notwithstanding. Consciousness in humans has turned off that auto pilot. Instead the human species is now subject to matrial conditions or cultural evolution.

It is my view that consciousness is malfunctioning in NTs hence behaviours which denote auto pilot programming. The tribalism, the preference for physicality rather than consciousness, the herd like instinct and the widespread use of masks and subterfuge and discrete cloaking devices generally.

Bearing in mind that the cognitive scale stretches from auto pilot to the emerging boundaries unceremoniously lumped under the autistic label by the NT world, I don't think it unreasonable to characterise the brutish behaviour of the majority as regressed.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 3:04 pm

trayder wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

This is not a subjective matter but rather a matter of fundamental tendencies in a species. All species but man are driven by code or genetics, much like a computer. Thus they are effectively on a pre-set programme or auto pilot and act to further their own genetic sequencing. When they act as a herd vis a vis another herd, thy act to further the coding of their herd.

Thus they act on auto pilot and there is prfection in that flawless process, apparent cruelty notwithstanding. Consciousness in humans has turned off that auto pilot. Instead the human species is now subject to matrial conditions or cultural evolution.

It is my view that consciousness is malfunctioning in NTs hence behaviours which denote auto pilot programming. The tribalism, the preference for physicality rather than consciousness, the herd like instinct and the widespread use of masks and subterfuge and discrete cloaking devices generally.

Bearing in mind that the cognitive scale stretches from auto pilot to the emerging boundaries unceremoniously lumped under the autistic label by the NT world, I don't think it unreasonable to characterise the brutish behaviour of the majority as regressed.

These are your opinions of NTs, not facts.
My opinions are that NTs are not primitive or regressed.