Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Plutonian_Persona
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2007, 8:01 pm

I may have found the opportunity of a lifetime. I have discovered an instruction position at a local autism center, where the primary duties would be teaching kids coping skills so that they may enter the public school system. The center would train me, so that I do not need a teaching certificate, plus it is very close to where I live.

However, I am having a bit of a dilemma as to whether I want to apply for this position. My problem is although I am undiagnosed with AS, there is a strong possibility that I will be once I have the money. I feel that in many ways it will be "like the blind leading the blind" for even though I have coped with societal pressures pretty well compared to many others on the spectrum, social situations are still somewhat of an enigma to me (the classic pretending to be "normal" scenario). At the same time, there's a part of me that says that since I have learned how to cope in order to be at least moderately functional in society, I should pass my knowledge on to others who need to learn such behavior.

Any thoughts on the matter?

AnnabelLee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2007, 8:05 pm

Lol! I am going to school for psychology and a minor in communicative disorder to help autistics. I think it ridiculous that we have n.t.'s teaching "coping skills" and "social skills" and "behavioral classes" to auties. It's like a cat trying to teach a dog to do a trick! I think you are in the perfect position to assist these children transition through a difficult time in their lives. Good luck and go for it!

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 8:15 pm

There's no question the people on the spectrum are usually way better than NT people in my experience. It seems like you can explain forever about differently thinking people and they are still unable to figure out what that means.

I thnk you can't be taught to teach autistic people. You have to be born with the ability and then be enlightened about what to do but it's intuitive.

IronicChef
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Nov 2007, 9:29 pm

Without a doubt there is nobody more qualified to help Autistic/AS folk than someone with AS who has managed to navigate through the "normal" world. I know I would have happily cut off a limb to have had someone help teach me the skills I spent thirty years acquiring through trial and error.

While I'm sure that an NT with sufficient training could provide the instruction and insight that you have, people with that pedigree seem to be in rather short supply.

And while I have nothing to back it up, I suspect that in reality the best teachers of the blind are those that are blind themselves. That old adage should be retired, methinks.

Nick

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 9:45 pm

Plutonian_Persona wrote:
I may have found the opportunity of a lifetime. I have discovered an instruction position at a local autism center, where the primary duties would be teaching kids coping skills so that they may enter the public school system. The center would train me, so that I do not need a teaching certificate, plus it is very close to where I live.

However, I am having a bit of a dilemma as to whether I want to apply for this position. My problem is although I am undiagnosed with AS, there is a strong possibility that I will be once I have the money. I feel that in many ways it will be "like the blind leading the blind" for even though I have coped with societal pressures pretty well compared to many others on the spectrum, social situations are still somewhat of an enigma to me (the classic pretending to be "normal" scenario). At the same time, there's a part of me that says that since I have learned how to cope in order to be at least moderately functional in society, I should pass my knowledge on to others who need to learn such behavior.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Actually, I have been "taught" by several NTs! They are IDIOTS, and more blind than I am! They couldn't even run their OWN lives. How could YOU do any worse?

Plutonian_Persona
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2007, 10:00 pm

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I think that you are all correct in saying that I am in a very good position to teaching autie kids how to survive in the world, since I've been through it myself. I think my anxiety is caused by irrational fears and lack of self-confidence.