Quirks you successfully got away with at school as a child

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2022, 6:47 pm

Let's face it: most of us caught A LOT of heat for our aspie quirks when we were kids. My parents AND my teachers were very ruthless about it. Every little thing they didn't like, they did everything they could to make my life miserable in retaliation for it. But some things slipped through the cracks or flew under their radar, or maybe they simply didn't care enough to retaliate for it.

In my own case, it was capitalizing dog breeds. The Webster's Dictionary guidelines dictate that dog breeds are not capitalized, unless its name includes a geographic term, as they're considered descriptors and not proper names. However, I liked dogs a lot as a child, as well as now. So in early elementary school, I used to capitalize all the words in the names of dog breeds. For instance, I'd write "German Shepherd" or "Poodle", rather than "German shepherd" or "poodle" as the Webster's Dictionary guidelines said. I saw all dog breeds as proper names.

When my teacher first corrected my writing with her red pen, I went to her desk and pointed out that the American Kennel Club (AKC) capitalizes all parts of dog breeds' names. She gave me a strange look and pointed out that it's just one organization, but she didn't seem angry. After some arguing on my part, she no longer corrected my capitalization of dog breeds, although I'm sure she still wished I didn't do it. I stopped forcing this capitalization quirk onto my teachers in 5th grade and higher, and started following the Webster's Dictionary guidelines, hoping to avoid awkward arguments.

That said, capitalization rules in English are more flexible than in most languages. For instance: the dance community sometimes capitalizes the names of dances, like "Waltz" instead of "waltz"; the AKC capitalizes dog breeds; the cat equivalent of the AKC capitalizes cat breeds. Also don't forget: the English language capitalizes the names of months and days of the week, which isn't true in most other languages. This gives away English's German roots: going from all nouns to some nouns isn't a big stretch, which allows for flexibility---it's not fully clear even in 2022 what should be capitalized and what shouldn't. So while my teacher was super-strict with almost everything else, capitalizing dog breeds was one thing she let me "win" in.

Other WP's on here: what quirks did YOU get away with successfully as children?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2022, 8:30 pm

Almost all of them.

Including the absurd sleep schedule and sleeping in classes, at the front row no less.

Why? Because I can answer questions if I get called, pass any surprise quizes, and write written lectures fast enough to finish all of it. They just all assume I'm working hard at night.

People even missed that language is my area of weakness the entire time, and thought it's the opposite.

Anyway.
Almost all of it except that one whole time, at the very first days of my first elementary year. Let's just say I was stuck at daycare days and that elementary was too different for me back then.

It just took me some time to adjust and it eventually just fade away.

The gradually disruptive behaviors and intolerance that I didn't had in the first place if it weren't for bullying.

And people figured I didn't do those things without a reason -- and figured that reason is either not being left alone in peace as I would or bullying.

The only time my mom tried to intervene is either that, or my increasingly aloofness towards others.
That nagging about didn't last either.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2022, 10:39 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
Almost all of them.

Including the absurd sleep schedule and sleeping in classes, at the front row no less.

Why? Because I can answer questions if I get called, pass any surprise quizes, and write written lectures fast enough to finish all of it. They just all assume I'm working hard at night.
Well, that makes one of us. That teacher used to get FURIOUS when she saw me zone out in class. She always called on me at those moments, hoping to catch me off guard and get me in trouble in home by giving me a bad grade for classwork. She never succeeded; I always got the answers right. The worst she could do at that point was to symbolically scold me. And since "zoning out" wasn't considered to be misbehavior in the Student Handbook---only sleeping in class was---she knew she was toothless otherwise.

Anyway, back on topic. Maybe she was a dog person like I was, but didn't let on. So capitalizing names of dog breeds was something she partially agreed with. Or maybe she didn't care enough, and knew where to find more worthwhile reasons to penalize me. Or maybe due to flexible capitalization rules in English, capitalizing dog breeds isn't technically wrong, just not a standard practice; so she knew she had no leg to stand on when I did it.

Heck, E. E. Cummings (or e e cummings) took things in the whole opposite direction: he didn't even capitalize his own name, and ignored some punctuation rules. Then again, he did it while writing poetry as an adult; if he did it in school as a young boy, I'm sure he'd get F's in English for doing that.

Last edited by Aspie1 on 05 Feb 2022, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2022, 10:50 pm

"Zoning out," is that equivalent to daydreaming, cause I was reprimanded in a way for that. She said I wasn't concentrating in class. She even notified my parents. I think this was same teacher i then went on to crush hard over. A few years later. lol.

I liked the Teachers who weren't so strict, you could just goof out in class, It was a like a break. I remember Teacher was absent once time, and me and my friends ransacked her desk, very naughty of us. In my defense i was only like 7, 8 years old, and it wasn't malicious.

Quirks, i don't know about that, I'm sure i got away with a lot of things. I was definitely not singled out for ASD. I was occasionally punished for 'bad behavour', causing a disruption, but that's about it.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2022, 9:44 am

theprisoner wrote:
I liked the Teachers who weren't so strict, you could just goof out in class, It was a like a break. I remember Teacher was absent once time, and me and my friends ransacked her desk, very naughty of us. In my defense i was only like 7, 8 years old, and it wasn't malicious.
Why would you want to ransack her desk? While many teachers are an aspie's worst nightmare, ransacking their desk is pretty severe, and should only be done when deserved. Did she confiscate your possessions, or lower your grades just to stick it to you? Heck, if my teacher did that to me, not only would I want to ransack her desk, I'd also want to [act of violence]. Which is the very fantasy I harbored toward my early-elementary teacher as a child. She was the main reason why my relationship with my parents was tense and distant. Even when I was 6, they hated me for my bad grades, and she gave me those bad grades.

Last edited by Aspie1 on 06 Feb 2022, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2022, 9:53 am

I cant remember . It was so long ago. All i know is, teacher absence = It's our class now. Desk is untended. (Doesnt happen everyday.) Lets see what's in there. Teacher may have confiscated some items. Toys. We thought it was quite amusing. I actually think some kids stole items, from desk. lol. I think we met on playground, and looked at what we took. "Oh you took that, this is what i grabbed." kinda deal. Just another day at school. No suspects. No snitches. I don't think we were caught or punished in any way. School days is kind of a blur. But it's something I vaguely but specifically remember. School days is kind of a blur. We might have later returned items. Most likely. As There wasn't really any maliciousness behind it. We were just naturally mischievous. And just not respectful of others peoples property.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2022, 5:41 pm

I could go all day just looking out the window and daydreaming, but if my name was appended to a question, I'd be able to remember it and answer. I did all my homework on the morning bus. I read what I wanted - when I flunked out of high school, my general knowledge level was above college grad scores.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2022, 6:35 pm

I used to create little spoof magazines with strip cartoons lampooning the teachers and with stories in the style of John Lennon's "A Spaniard In The Works." They improved my popularity with the more rebellious kids, and I never once got caught.

More shamefully, along with a couple of other kids I removed a few components from the music teacher's Ferrograph tape recorder. Not that I regret annoying him. He couldn't be bothered to do his job, and when I'd told him I could use a bit of help catching up with the basics of music theory, he said "You mean the rudiments? How rude," and walked off. But these days I'd consider it immoral to disable a good tape recorder. Anyway, he probably just ordered replacement parts on the school budget (the school wasn't struggling financially) and was up and running within a few days.

One teacher was always confiscating our toys and locking them away in his desk drawer. But he didn't realise all we had to do was to remove the unlocked drawer above that one to access our property. I think I was instrumental in the liberation of those items. I figured he deserved it because he hit me once for threatening to sue him.

During a chemistry practical session I put some zinc and HCl into a conical flask, attached a bung with a glass tube in it, and set fire to the hydrogen coming out of the end of the tube. Unfortunately it wouldn't go out, and eventually the bung flew upwards like the cork out of a champagne bottle and landed in front of the teacher. He never found out I'd done it.

I organised a clandestine re-enactment of the Mad Hatter's Tea Party scene from Alice In Wonderland during a French lesson. How we got away with that I'll never know.

Another kid showed me that it was possible to alter illustrations in the French text book by erasing parts of the pictures with an ink rubber and drawing on the blank areas thus produced. That was quite risky because they often checked the text books when we handed them in at the end of term, so I surgically removed the most conspicuous pages to help avoid detection. I've still got one of them somewhere.

I don't know if those antics would qualify as quirks or whether they were just normal schoolboy behaviour. Schools in those days could get very boring.

Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2022, 11:17 pm

Sleeping in class. A lot.
I still need more sleep than my peers these days to function above minimum level.

Playing PC games in the classroom. A lot.
During math class, I played Space Invaders on my Ti-83 Plus calculator.

Arriving late.
The only time I was shamed for it was in French class.

I was a terrible student who relied on talent and rote memory to pass the exams. I changed my habits for the better when I entered university but burnt out in 3rd year. Still permanently tired everyday.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2022, 11:28 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Another kid showed me that it was possible to alter illustrations in the French text book by erasing parts of the pictures with an ink rubber and drawing on the blank areas thus produced. That was quite risky because they often checked the text books when we handed them in at the end of term, so I surgically removed the most conspicuous pages to help avoid detection. I've still got one of them somewhere.

I don't know if those antics would qualify as quirks or whether they were just normal schoolboy behaviour. Schools in those days could get very boring.

It seems like people are misunderstanding this thread a little bit. By "quirks", I didn't mean low-level mischief. I meant insistence on doing things your own way. Like capitalizing words that are normally not capitalized (niche capitalization nonewithstanding); or sitting at your desk cross-legged, instead of butt in the seat and feet on the floor; or being allowed to take an extra fruit in the cafeteria in lieu of the main dish, because you had texture issues with the food served that day.

In other words, you were doing something many teachers would be delighted to punish you for. But instead, they picked their battles, and let you have your way, when they normally would not. Like my own teacher did with me: she chose not to penalize me for capitalizing dog breeds, despite being extremely strict in many other ways.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2022, 11:37 pm

I actually remember now, the lord of the flies, taking over class room, chaotic thing was separate. But same room.

Time I ransacked desk with friends, was actually during a break. Somehow got back into room, nobody around.
I don't know why we hatched scheme, but we did.

I normally went along,with whatever crazy plans or ideas my delinquent friends thought up. I wanted to 'fit ' in.

Whatever quirks i had, was not detected in childhood. I was well behaved by my own, one on one with a teacher. But with others, some of my peers, i could become 'unruly.'

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 6:33 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I used to create little spoof magazines with strip cartoons lampooning the teachers and with stories in the style of John Lennon's "A Spaniard In The Works." They improved my popularity with the more rebellious kids, and I never once got caught.

More shamefully, along with a couple of other kids I removed a few components from the music teacher's Ferrograph tape recorder. Not that I regret annoying him. He couldn't be bothered to do his job, and when I'd told him I could use a bit of help catching up with the basics of music theory, he said "You mean the rudiments? How rude," and walked off. But these days I'd consider it immoral to disable a good tape recorder. Anyway, he probably just ordered replacement parts on the school budget (the school wasn't struggling financially) and was up and running within a few days.

One teacher was always confiscating our toys and locking them away in his desk drawer. But he didn't realise all we had to do was to remove the unlocked drawer above that one to access our property. I think I was instrumental in the liberation of those items. I figured he deserved it because he hit me once for threatening to sue him.

During a chemistry practical session I put some zinc and HCl into a conical flask, attached a bung with a glass tube in it, and set fire to the hydrogen coming out of the end of the tube. Unfortunately it wouldn't go out, and eventually the bung flew upwards like the cork out of a champagne bottle and landed in front of the teacher. He never found out I'd done it.

I organised a clandestine re-enactment of the Mad Hatter's Tea Party scene from Alice In Wonderland during a French lesson. How we got away with that I'll never know.

Can you remember the model? I have a soft spot for the ferrograph 5 and 6, modified the school language lab ferrotutor 6 to have a line input as well as a mic. Rather lovely mechanical engineering, with some quirks like the brass pinch roller and rubber tyre on the capstan, and need to set the speed with two controls - one for the mechanism and one for the electronics.

Did you pinch any of the valves perhaps?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 9:57 am

Correcting the teacher, because I was almost always right.  For instance, during a lesson on Hawai'i . . .

"Uh, ma'am? :)

"What is it, Fnordie?" :roll:

"You might want to re-check your facts, ma'am, because the pineapple is related to neither the pine nor the apple; but is instead a cluster of berries that have grown into one solid pulpy mass." :)

"Don't you have homework to do?" :?

"Finished . . . up to next Friday.  It is there in your in-basket." :)

("Stupidsmartassedkid.")

"Wazzat, ma'am?" :)

"You parked it in the basket." :x

"Yes ma'am . . . I certainly did."
:wink:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 11:28 am

rowan_nichol wrote:
Can you remember the model? I have a soft spot for the ferrograph 5 and 6, modified the school language lab ferrotutor 6 to have a line input as well as a mic. Rather lovely mechanical engineering, with some quirks like the brass pinch roller and rubber tyre on the capstan, and need to set the speed with two controls - one for the mechanism and one for the electronics.

Did you pinch any of the valves perhaps?

It looked like the series 4 or 6 on this page:

https://reel-reel.com/tape-recorder-brand/ferrograph/

But a lot of those pictures look identical to me. I'm not really into gear for its own sake, only for what it can do, and certainly at the time I had no idea what model it was. If I'd been that into such things, I'd never have been able to bring myself to vandalise it. And no, I didn't remove any valves.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 11:31 am

Nope....I didn't get away with much while I was in school....

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 1:23 pm

My notes were very brief, but I could prove them adequate.