Being So Overwhelmed & Mentally Exhausted

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 10:26 pm

I got to over 2,000 emails last month or in July, I haven’t been looking at my emails for a really long time, I use to organize my emails with my email app, I made folders. Something happened & I got lock out of my email app, I could access it on the website. Now everything is messed up, all my emails go to my inbox, for months, I been deleting emails. I can save articles that are important to read, but I always forget to read them, reading alot of stuff can be overwhelming, alot to read & I can forget what I read, I can have a very very hard time understanding too,cuz of my Learning Disability, I used to love to read in my 20s & 30s, my reading level is not great, I used to read teenage books like Sweet Valley High. I was deleting emails today, I got sooo overwhelmed & mentally exhausted, I felt like I was pulled in different directions, I felt like I couldn’t breathe, I was crying too. There are so many important articles on health & the right kind of food to eat. That was very overwhelming too, I don’t know why I saved articles if I don’t read them. Do anybody here can feel this way?

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 10:34 pm

I sometimes feel overwhelmed too. Sometimes it helps me to just let go of things that seemed important at the time but that I realize I can do without. Can you just delete some or maybe even all of the articles? Are it really going to cause a problem for you if you just don't read them? You can always google information on health and nutrition at a later time when you are in the headspace for it.

I don't know if that would work for you. It's just a thought. Sending best wishes.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2023, 11:25 am

I'm older than you. I do have a large backlog of reading to do but it is many, many books and years of magazines waiting to be read.

My bride is also a bibliophile so there are a lot of books sitting around in our house.

I also have a lot of CDs for music and DVDs, BDs, and 4KBDs for videos...the majority of the disks have been listened to or watched at least once.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2023, 11:32 am

Hope things resolve for you ...And that exhaustion passes very soon .. That situation does make it harder to just function day to day. :(

where ever you go ,there you are

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2023, 4:06 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
I got to over 2,000 emails last month or in July, I haven’t been looking at my emails for a really long time, I use to organize my emails with my email app, I made folders. Something happened & I got lock out of my email app, I could access it on the website. Now everything is messed up, all my emails go to my inbox, for months, I been deleting emails. I can save articles that are important to read, but I always forget to read them, reading alot of stuff can be overwhelming, alot to read & I can forget what I read, I can have a very very hard time understanding too,cuz of my Learning Disability, I used to love to read in my 20s & 30s, my reading level is not great, I used to read teenage books like Sweet Valley High. I was deleting emails today, I got sooo overwhelmed & mentally exhausted, I felt like I was pulled in different directions, I felt like I couldn’t breathe, I was crying too. There are so many important articles on health & the right kind of food to eat. That was very overwhelming too, I don’t know why I saved articles if I don’t read them. Do anybody here can feel this way?

This could just be the normal process and effects of getting older, Kitty. If I remember correctly, at some point you had up on your profile that your age was somewhere in the mid-fifties?

It is certainly possible you have a lot less mental energy now than you did in your 20's or 30's and that that is a reason you might struggle with keeping up with your emails or other things that you want or need to read, now (versus then).

If you are really worried about your cognition, see a doctor and explain to them the issues you are having.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2023, 11:44 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

This could just be the normal process and effects of getting older, Kitty. If I remember correctly, at some point you had up on your profile that your age was somewhere in the mid-fifties?

It is certainly possible you have a lot less mental energy now than you did in your 20's or 30's and that that is a reason you might struggle with keeping up with your emails or other things that you want or need to read, now (versus then).

If you are really worried about your cognition, see a doctor and explain to them the issues you are having.

You are right about getting older& more difficult to handle things, this have to do with Aspergers too if you mean that. Somebody told me that Aspergers get harder to handle the older you get.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2023, 8:48 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
...Somebody told me that Aspergers get harder to handle the older you get.

Over the decades I've gotten better at arranging my life to accommodate my preferences.

So I'm used to being "comfortable".

Which means that on the less frequent instances where something uncomfortable happens it is more irritating.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2023, 12:46 pm

yup yup .. getting older seems to bring stronger responses in me, that seems to require more time to recover.
But am always trying to be engaged in doing something. So consequently the success to failure ratio can go up.
And it can get frustrating when stuff. Caves in on my plans .. Unexpected events ..planned stuff to go do..And
low and behold my car might have a flat tire And now need to cancel appts. then maybe just the day before , my Credit card got hacked and cancelled meaning all kinds of things need to be updated on new Credit card info ,Then surprise , i forgot one company and suddenly am getting cancelation notices..And on and on it goes ..And maybe all that hapoens in threes days.. 8O ....Gadzzz...So am told to meditate ...? mindfulness..? but that dont fix the
the flat tire :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are

david_tay
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Oct 2023, 3:01 am

I usually feel most of these but when I get so overwhelmed I usually stop for a while and look at my surroundings I will make a pause to get myself together and when I get mentally exhausted, I go listening to music or sleep at least for a while all those exhaustion will be gone.