Page 3 of 9 [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2016, 6:03 am

nerdygirl wrote:
I was called weird and ostracized all throughout childhood. When I was in college, I learned a lot more about how people expected me to "be" in order to be accepted. So, I adapted the best I could. But it didn't *really* work. I might not be ostracized or thought so weird these days, but the adapting/masking hasn't gotten me what I really wanted, which was true friends.

I learned how to look for cues on how to act from other people, rather than just being myself. I tried to shave off the corners of my square-pegged self to try and fit into the round hole, rather than learning how to love being a square peg. I have wasted time and energy trying to adapt and fit in that may have been better used pursuing things that are more natural to me.

I am going to use the analogy of a person's weight. Some people are naturally thin. Some people are naturally predisposed to being overweight. Society puts forward an "ideal" and if someone isn't thin enough, they are considered unhealthy or lazy or some other undesirable quality. The people who are naturally overweight have to work MUCH HARDER to try and meet that standard. And, well, sometimes it is just not worth it. I might have to eat well and exercise a tremendous amount and STILL not meet the ideal. When that effort to meet the physical ideal takes away time from the things that make me me, it is a problem. Why all this effort just to please someone else? So I can be thought of as more valuable because I am the right SIZE? Yes, eating healthy and exercising are important, but even levels of moderate and healthy levels of eating right and exercising are NOT ENOUGH for someone who is predisposed to being overweight.

This is how I feel about the "mask." SOME masking is helpful and important. But when it goes beyond that to the point where masking is taking over your whole life, preventing you from being yourself, it's a problem. And I have spent a couple of decades doing that...taking time and effort away from the things that please ME so that I can somehow try and fit in and get people to like me. And it hasn't worked to the extent I had hoped! So, now I ask "Why am I doing this?" I am trying to find where the mask ends and where *I* begin, and it seems a little stuck on and embedded in the skin.

I have also experienced this, and years of off-and-on physical pain from stress by constantly masking. The funny part is, while you learn certain cues or things about them, I'm not sure social exchanges ever become more natural. I still don't, and never will, understand dating or regular conversation. I think I'll always have that desire to "info dump" with people, even though I can reign it in enough when needed. But, you can only keep that up so long, and frequently feel like you're talking about nothing, which can lead to unwelcome frustration. I prefer welcome frustration?

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 8:26 am

Finding places (besides on line) to take off the mask has helped this writer.
They include small group at church, improvisational comedy, celebrate recovery and a few friends. The latter included my wife. Taking off the mask is something we call "fart real".
I have been fat and thin. Now I'm in between. When I was thin I even go "body checks" at Over Eaters meetings. Folks who had not seen me for awhile kept asking me of I was sick. They never asked that when I was obese.
Puppets are one of my ultimate masks.

Are emojis mask. Do I LOL when it's not funny?????
me...."Reader and Righter"
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 10:54 am

For me? After almost four decades with this "disease," after having to negotiate learning to live in a neurotypical world on my own??

The Mask just is what is. It is the reality, it is the necessity, it is the tool that makes something approximating a normal life possible. You can wear The Mask, and try very hard to permanently graft it onto your face, or autism can define you and pretty severely limit your life.

By the most liberal estimates, counting every autistic person, we're about 3% of the population. Grudging acceptance-- being tolerated with pity, or humor, or scorn, or by "passing" and letting the mockery pass because they don't realize it applies to us too-- is The Happy Ending.

That makes me feel very sad, and very tired. The Mask is draining. It is isolating. It means never relaxing, never really having a genuine connection with another human being.

But at least we are teaching kids younger now. I was 13 when I first put on The Mask; I had learned to conceive of a life without it (had been taught that I was fine as I was, beautiful in fact, there was nothing wrong with me, and had lived under that premise until I got tired of having taunts and objects thrown at me and took it upon myself to put a stop to it) and resented it very much (still do). Maybe if young autistics are taught to craft and wear the mask from early childhood, it cuts down on the cognitive dissonance. I don't know.

How old are you? At what age were you diagnosed?? What therapies did you receive??

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 11:10 am

various therapies
use of Celebrate Recovery
self diagnosed years ago
officially recently
my counselor and I talked about down side of meds L/T decreased creativity. (Which I use on and off stage- the creativity not the meds)
It was my side gigs mentioned on my resume which led to my present long term position.
:idea:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 1:21 pm

Probably the earlier and more tightly you put on a mask the earlier and harder the inevitable breakdown and ensuing mental illnesses such as depression and disassociation will occur. Depression can be treated with drugs, forgetting who you are, very difficult to overcone. This is a true lose lose situation. It SEEMS like it is almost impossible to change the status quo. It IS an impossible task for most autistics to continue on with the status quo forever.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 3:56 pm

Mask can create baggage.
One that I kept close to my heart was the SHAME bag.

One of the "voicesinmyhead.com"
would whisper They know"

A twisted quote I use in my gigs
If it don't kill me , it goes in the act.

Someone said ""If we can't laugh at ourselves, others will beat us to it." My add on...or it will come out in daggers towards others or ourself.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 3:15 am

"Esther remembered
Vashi would not strip herself for the king and his crowd
And she had her head
Well I am not her, and though I’d rather die I’d give in anyway
Ester remembered this
But I am not Esther
I am not the wife of Queen
And when I stand, I bleed
As the bullets fall like rain "

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 3:40 am

The mask has been very deadly for me. When I go outside and into the world, it's pure performance art. When at home, and alone, I am the same inside, but not stressed from having to perform. It's going to take me a while to get to a natural balance.

The Dx explained me. Did not define me. It did that all by itself by causing massive implosions. Sometimes when the masks failed in public. My stressors are because I know how badly things can fail. Now that I know a mechanism, I want to learn prevention so that instead of climbing up and then falling back to the bottom again, I can just keep somewhat a balance. Each time the fall takes me back to a 'beginning'. And, it's harder to get back up each time.

I am just finding new things to do. A lot of time has been wasted by people who just want to drug me up instead of focusing on skills. That's bugging me more than anything else.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 5:32 am

I try to break away my mask; at least, the one that i build to hide my autistic traits.

I am a regular person, i have my strengths, flaws and quirks. some of them happen to be described by the label "Aspergers syndrome".

Indeed, i do not let my label define me, but i do speak up when i see others using it as the punchline to a joke.
I do also speak up to other autistics that try to use their autism as an excuse, i am against that. AS is (part of) the reason i make mistakes, and it might be an explanation, but never an excuse.

When i joined my college campus home, i introduced my diagnosis along the lines of "I am diagnosed with aspergers, which means i interpret social situations differently, i might make mistakes becouse of that. I apologize in advance and ask of you to correct me on such mistakes, i promise i will not feel offended when you do."
I did not do this the first day, although in retrospect i should have, but after a year.
After disclosing in this way; we went, as a group, over the bottled-up frustrations my housemates had and, as a group, found ways to mitigate similar issues.
Indeed, there were no more issues after that. i made mistakes, i got corrected, noone felt hurt; these same 'rules' were explained to newcomers.

A mask is not needed in a semi-tolerant society, all you need is the willingness to adapt.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 6:44 pm

Fnord wrote:
Oh, puh-leez ... :roll:

Having autism does not define my identity any more than does having dandruff.

So I assume that means you are a member of a forum geared towards people with dandruff.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2016, 11:58 am

Was the dandruff question to make a point or a joke. I do comedy and sometimes don't get humor. I don't wear labels of other things such as my blood type, religion, hay fever, profession etc or Autistic level 1. Outside of here, church, select venues of gigs, and a few friends my Diagnosis is not used.
My creativity is used on and off stage. ( my day gig) Some like it some view my behavior as wired. Besides accepting my weirdness ,
I'm known as a resource in my field locally and regionally. Inspire or because of it, has led to presentations on local , state and regional workshops / conferences. I'm told my whimsical presentations have more substance than traditional ones.
Sometimes that surprises and amazes me.

I've noticed being more balanced with mask versus finessing situations I have fewer melt downs. I noticed also taking off the need for everyone to like me helped. Other people's opinion of me was not my business and continue to do the next right thing. ( whije using trusted mentors to test my views)
I can only share my experience as a new diagnosed 62 year guy working in the same field since 1978 ish. (Both comedy and the "day gig")

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2016, 8:06 pm

I need a detachable mask to save my life. I wear that mask when I'm with my family and when I'm at work. When I'm back in my part of the city, I can take that mask off and put my helmet on. That mask helps me to save my ass around my parents and at my job. It will make it possible for me to have a job and be a part of my family for many years to come.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 11:40 pm

Okay, I read all the responses, and I think many people are misunderstanding the point the author is making. First off, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with you letting autism define you or not, it's about how OTHER people define autistic people. Second, the point with the mask isn't just a matter of courtesy, it's not a matter of not looking autistic so people don't just you for being weird, it's about not looking autistic so people don't judge you for being AUTISTIC. The point is not that we shouldn't have to act like decent people in public, but we shouldn't have to hide the fact we are specifically autistic due to fear of whatever from stereotypes.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2016, 4:21 am

Ganondox wrote:
Okay, I read all the responses, and I think many people are misunderstanding the point the author is making. First off, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with you letting autism define you or not, it's about how OTHER people define autistic people. Second, the point with the mask isn't just a matter of courtesy, it's not a matter of not looking autistic so people don't just you for being weird, it's about not looking autistic so people don't judge you for being AUTISTIC. The point is not that we shouldn't have to act like decent people in public, but we shouldn't have to hide the fact we are specifically autistic due to fear of whatever from stereotypes.
A bit of a screed, yes? Whether you are correct about what the OP really meant is debatable. But, considering that I, at 55, just found out I have Asperger's, the mask had nothing to do with not appearing autistic. It was a survival mechanism that I developed because I had no choice.

It has been devastating. Everything can be fine until that one thing breaks it. Then it's not good.

Many of us late in life Dxer's didn't know anything but survival. Most of it was beat into us.

So, regardless of what you think the OP meant, and you may be correct, it has a different meaning to us. Especially if you live in the uncanny valley. When the mask breaks, you do not look autistic, you look like a lunatic because you're lost control of the mask or heading for a meltdown.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2016, 8:09 am

ZK

I Think I understand your point
As a late bloomer( diagnosed at 62) I remember ways I tried to deal with this.
Unknown secrets in my mind were a conundrum to me, my family, employers and even my audiences.
During the comedy explosion of the 80's - one set would go smooth another the next week or day could go south.
Speaking of melt downs
I'm going old school and me or my wife puts a sticker on the fridge after days without them.
8O

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2016, 4:23 pm

zkydz wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
A bit of a screed, yes? Whether you are correct about what the OP really meant is debatable. But, considering that I, at 55, just found out I have Asperger's, the mask had nothing to do with not appearing autistic. It was a survival mechanism that I developed because I had no choice.

It has been devastating. Everything can be fine until that one thing breaks it. Then it's not good.

Many of us late in life Dxer's didn't know anything but survival. Most of it was beat into us.

So, regardless of what you think the OP meant, and you may be correct, it has a different meaning to us. Especially if you live in the uncanny valley. When the mask breaks, you do not look autistic, you look like a lunatic because you're lost control of the mask or heading for a meltdown.

Than here is how what OP says relates to you: would you rather be rightfully seen as autistic rather than a lunatic when the masks slips, and would you rather NOT be stigmatized for such?