If you could push a button or take a pill to get rid of your

Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 5:43 pm

If you could push a button or take a pill to get rid of your autism, would you do it?

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 5:59 pm

Nope.

Kate4432kate4432
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jul 2016, 6:17 pm

I don't think I would be very happy or feel at all fulfilled if did get rid of my diversity. How could I (as an NT) ever find time to do all the things I like to do, having the need to socialize all the time? I hardly have enough time in my day as it is, I cant imagine wasting time going to parties and coffee houses for idle chitchat... I imagine I would feel unfulfilled, as I would inevitably not have enough time to do everything I needed to do while still getting the required amount of social interaction.

No, I definitely would not like to be NT, if I had an option.

sweeToxic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2016, 6:41 pm

Nope. My autism has made me who I am. It's helped me understand other people as well. I like being autistic because it lets me see things and do things that people are baffled by. I also enjoy seeing the world differently because it makes me realize that not everything is cake and sweets. I would rather be a society reject than try to force myself to be like other people who are ignorant and bigoted.

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 6:44 pm

hmmm...depends, would hitting that pill or button with a giant, almost cartoonish sized hammer till it was nothing but dust count as pushing the button? like would i push the button by hitting it? if not, then no. if yes, then maybe by accident.

I may sometimes wish i could just be normal and not mess up every conversation and feel like a moron, but this is a part of my identity, its a part of ME, and i wouldn't remove a part of me for anything.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

sweeToxic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2016, 6:46 pm

randomeu wrote:
I may sometimes wish i could just be normal and not mess up every conversation and feel like a moron, but this is a part of my identity, its a part of ME, and i wouldn't remove a part of me for anything.

This is exactly how I feel. My autism can and does cause me problems, but I've also had good times being autistic. I don't want to lose those good times. It's like when you lose a best friend, you know?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 7:18 pm

Yes. I just see my autism as an obstacle and impairment that I have spent my life trying to overcome and work around it or through it. That's why I am in special ed. That is why I have occupational therapy. All to manage my autism better.

Why wouldn't I want to be able to just walk up to people and be able to talk to them? Why wouldn't I want to be able to go wherever I want by myself? Why wouldn't I want to be free from sensory overload? Why wouldn't want to be free of meltdowns? Yes, I would push a button or take a pill that frees me from being a prisoner in my own body.

Same person, just no more debilitation from autism.

Last edited by EzraS on 25 Jul 2016, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 7:19 pm

This type of question has been asked a kajillion times here already, but what the hey, I'll answer.

Yes I would like to take a pill and be got rid of this s**t forever. I doubt I'll be much different as an NT, because I do feel partially NT anyway, but still odd enough to not be able to make friends that well, and lots of other little things that ruin my life.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 7:22 pm

No way in hell.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 7:27 pm

I really do not get the "autism makes me special" thing at all. I don't think much of anything special about me is because of my autism. It just holds me back.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 7:35 pm

I have gone back and fourth on this a few times.

Why I would consider not curing my autism:

I have built a lot of my identity around being a weird, nerdy, socially awkward outcast. My group of friends consists of a lot of people with various neurological disorders and because of that I fit in well with them. Suddenly not being autistic would be a big change to adjust to and it would probably be quite difficult.

Why I would consider curing my autism:

It causes a lot of problems and not having them would be nice. I struggle with a lot of things that most people have no trouble with, and I would certainly not be complaining of I never had to have another sensory overload. My executive functioning isn't very good, my social skills suck, and I act weird enough that the casual observer knows that there is something wrong with me. I have been trying to fit in and act normal my whole life with not a lot of success, and it would be nice to finally be able to accomplish that.

At the moment I'm thinking that I would cure my autism given the chase, although when I was still largely in denial my answer would have been different.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 7:46 pm

Yes if only to be less socially awkward and otherwise like how I am. To have less social anxiety, be more talkative would be great:) :D

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 8:20 pm

EzraS wrote:
I really do not get the "autism makes me special" thing at all. I don't think much of anything special about me is because of my autism. It just holds me back.

Yep, same here. I'd push that button so f*****g hard!

SpaceAgeBushRanger
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jul 2016, 12:42 am

I'd much rather have a bipolar cure.

UnturnedStone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2016, 1:00 am

Nope.

I have accepted the hand I was dealt, and to be honest it could have been a lot worse.
I'd rather be me (all of me, faults included).
Not to mention I am not sure NT's have life any easier, some aspects yes, others I am not so sure about.

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2016, 2:50 am

Yes,

Many of those who say "no! It gives me powers and makes me special" don't realize the fact that people probably talk behind their back, think they are slow, and think they are plain weird and creepy. Just because all the adults called them smart growing up because they could memorize a large amount of trivia and factual information which they regurgitated upon everyone, they think Autism must give them some special ability (none of which are ever named or explained at all).

Autism impairs a person's intelligence. Don't give me the high IQ stuff, it doesn't measure everything. Multi-tasking, executive function, seeing the bigger picture, getting information from context, complex problem solving, seeing cause and effect, carrying one situation to another, verbal ability, using what one knows in meaningful and practical ways etc. are all impaired or absent. Many ASD sufferers deny having these problems yet third hand accounts often reveal the truth.

We always hear about Einstein having aspergers (he did not, his brain was the complete opposite of an Autistic brain) yet people in the neurodiversity crowd always seem to avoid questioning whether someone like Hitler had it (I read the OSS report on his behaviour, I see some traits).

Even if many of you won't take the cure, for the love of GOD! If one exists, don't vote against it and have the entire formula thrown down the drain. Don't ruin it for people who actually have a good grip on what autism really is and want to be cured. I don't want to play with pokemon cards or draw on deviantart, I want to have money, women, and friends unlike some of you!

-Johnnyh