Brown and Autistic: A frightening encounter with the police.

Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Buckholtz
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Aug 2016, 9:45 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
Do you think that black culture is supportive of the idea of being a black or POC autistic person? Do you think they have a mental frame of reference for this kind of person, or, like many people, is it just too convenient to picture a white male child when thinking of an "autistic person"?

I am wondering if it's like the idea of being "down low" and black. Where have the other identity (gay or autistic) takes away from your other identity (race). As if your culture will not allow you to be both.

But I really have no idea if it's similar- I haven't known the families or other friends of the POC autistic people I have known in my life.

In many African countries, Brown communities in Canada and some enlightened families here in the United States, attitudes are very positive and supportive of autistic people. The "black" culture in the states is not monolithic. There is no 'one way' to exist or act as a person of color here. That said, there are some who buy into the attitude that anyone with a disability, learning challenge or mental deficit is seen as lacking the intelligence or strength to cope with the pressures of being Brown in this world. Others see those with special needs as just a burden that will further hold them back or make difficult their ability to survive already tough conditions perceived as stacked against them.

It has been passed down to many generations, in "black culture", that we'll have to work harder than everyone else, due to purposeful dehumanization, mischaracterization and disenfranchisement of us. With these debilitating concerns always ever present, disability and learning challenges take a back seat to survival. Even basic health care is not as important as getting through the day alive.

For many who find it difficult to believe these attitudes are genuine, it's because no one can truly step into another's shoes. However, empathy for peoples of color can go a long way in beginning to change the paradigm of shaming and blaming us with phrases like "Get over it", "Stop playing the race card", "You people are never satisfied", "Stop complaining" and other nonsensical statements never said to Jewish people, for example. We all need to listen to each other in a serious way. There's no delicate way to talk about the attempted genocide of a people. Jewish people aren't even asked to try. We, however, are told to soften our message so as not to offend the sensibilities of others. The double standard is massive. I do everything I can to rise above these challenges. It is NOT easy, because, so many do not understand the landscape with which we must navigate, nor do they want to.

Thank you for actually wanting to know. Asking questions is enlightening. This a broader conversation than I can chat about on here. Hopefully, there will develop enough interest in this for some organization to invite me to discuss it in detail. Thanks!

"Music may achieve the highest of all missions: She may be a bond between nations, races and states, who are strangers to one another in many ways; She may unite what is disunited, and bring peace to what is hostile." ~ Dr. Max Bendiner

ScoeyB
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Aug 2016, 10:50 pm

I'm interrupting my "Orphan Black" binge to respond to this article/conversation, so... you're welcome!

I work in special education and have been unofficially diagnosed as autistic by colleagues who are very qualified to do so.

First, to Mike and the article:

Absolutely EXACTLY what I thought it would be from the headline! Clear, direct, as concise at it could be while still incorporating a humorous style and strong metaphorical flourishes! Thank you for not disappointing! I give it a 9.5 out of ten. I think you hit many things on the head that appear as nails to this hammer.

I also have a SOMEWHAT similar experience as a Jewish person on the spectrum. It took me a while to come to grips with the social ill of prejudice and bigotry as a Jew, but being a late-diagnosed "'Spergian", I could perhaps accept the diagnosis better than most because I'd dealt with antisemitism already and now knew suddenly why so many people had treated me differently when they had no idea I was Jewish.

My autistic traits make me a person of many words. I'm sorry to say, though, that I might as well have been that "white boy" sitting next to you in class and talking. I have poor impulse control over speech, mostly because I really do have a lot to say. I wouldn't have let you take the blame for it though, and probably would have been your best friend. The trait of hyperglossia (I know, that's not the right term!) has garnered improper diagnosis of bipolar disorder and coke addiction, neither of which are actually true. But as I will point out in a moment, the biggest overlap in my neurological condition has been my other minority status as a Jew.

Most Jews are perceived as white by other people until they see us enter or leave a temple, or we tell them we don't celebrate Christmas but are NOT Jehovah's Witnesses. (Interestingly, Witnesses are often called JWs in cyber shorthand, but I digress, as usual...) The other thing that "gives us away" as Jews, mostly to other Jews, is our speaking style and general loquatiousness. I guess the term for me is hyperloquatiousness. Yummy...word salad.

The perception that we American Ashkenazi Jews project is that of the "passing" Jew. We have lighter skin (due to our mixed European heritage) and are less likely to have recent ancestors with foreign accents than other Jews. But when people know of our faith or even our ancestral faith, there are "differences" in the way people talk to you. This happens both from the sense of "other-ness" and from a "walking on eggshells" effect where they fear they'll say something antisemitic like "Oh, I really got JEWED on that car deal!" without thinking. The world I get to see when white Christians DON'T know I'm a Jew reveals a lot about how much antisemitism still exists. It's sad. I don't hear the word "k*e" as often as I used to, but "Hebe" and "Jew" said in a disparaging tone are common.

Still, it PALES in comparison (oh that was a bad pun, sorry, I'm terrible) to what it's like to not be ABLE to hide your difference. In the case of being black AND being autistic, that's doubly difficult to hide. While I truly hope you are as comfortable in your skin as you are in your brain, as you HAVE nothing to hide, you may yet have had moments where you wish that at least it didn't matter.

I applaud your success and would be jealous of it, were I not so proud of you. You rock! (tee-hee)

You are in a great position to promote conversations about what it means to be treated differently due to an involuntary condition (not disease, but condition, like not liking raspberries or being right-handed). Being a POC and autistic are both involuntary conditions of which no one should have to feel ashamed.

Everyone's life experience is different, but many have things in common, due to common factors, conditions they have in common.

On The Thread:

Sonic, you risk getting labeled as a racist with your comments. It really looks like you're the guy who trolls forums about race, trying to find a "gotcha" moment that, while it far from invalidates someone's worldview, nonetheless calls their words into suspicion. You seem to enjoy taking cheap pot-shots at things people say without properly reading or understanding what they said in the first place, putting your foot in your mouth as a result.

As Spoons correctly pointed out, you have conflated the terms "equal" and "same". Being different, like being autistic for example, does not make us inferior to NTs. At the risk of echoing an historic racist SCOTUS ruling, we are "Different but equal." Our inherent worth as human beings is equal, though our expression of our humanity, be it born of genetics or culture, may be very different.

You frankly seem to be looking for a fight over the issue of race, not understanding the point of the article, which is that being black and autistic brings a unique experience distinct from simply being black or simply being autistic, neither of which are simple in any way. Sharing that experience is not "hijacking" anyone's conversation, just expanding it, but SAYING that it is hijacking the conversation IS hijacking the conversation and making it about your discomfort in hearing experiences that differ from yours. That makes me wonder why you're on this site to begin with. Do you not get enough alienation in your life off this site? Do you need to need to bring it here too? And about race? Sheesh!

SocOf, I really don't mean to pick apart your comment, because I do understand your question for Mike, but it is predicated on something I'm told often by black family members and friends is a myth. There is no single, monolithic "black culture".

---edit---

--- I'm glad the site warned me that someone else had replied to you before sending this, and it was Mike! He made the "monolithic" point so I feel validated!---

I was raised by a "white" mother in a community where my father's Jewish background is largely unknown and, appearing white to most of them, I have been frequently invited to friends' homes where I saw a "culture" that one might define as "white", but was as varied and diverse as I know many black households to be. Assuming you mean "people experiencing being black in America":

I know you didn't ask me, but I can tell you my experiences. My friends and students who are both autistic and POC are often ostracized by their ethnic peers AND society in general, and find the autistic community, when they find one, to be more welcoming in general. They fall more neatly and comfortably into the "nerdist" camp, as most of us do, and find even the NT nerdy types to be more accepting of their differences, whatever they may be.

I think this comes mostly from being part of a minority group. I know that when I have earned my way into the trust and affection of cliques of mono-ethnic minority groups, I have found them to be as accepting of my "quirks" as they are of my "whiteness" and Jewishness. A former boss of mine, a black man who told me he thought all white people, especially Jews, were "Reptilians" before he met me. He told me he knew there was something "different" about me that he couldn't identify (and at that time, I was not self-reporting about my autism), but that whatever that difference was, it made it easier to relate to me as he saw I was an "outsider". He called me his "brother from another mother", which I took as a great honor. He was an admirable man, and quite handsome too.

Among fellow Jews, I get a lot of commentary about similarities between being autistic and being Jewish. There really is a kind of genetic-based neurodiversity that makes Jews (the ethnicity, as distinct from the religion, since they welcome converts) a little different from other ethnicities. Some of that neurological distinctiveness overlaps with autism. In fact, when the educational and psychological professionals who first brought the possibility that I was autistic to my attention, I thought they were noticing the aspects of my personality that corresponded to being a Jew. I am a picky eater, I like to argue, and I have certain physical comfort parameters outside of which I cannot help but comment when breached. A lot of Jews, like Aspergians, are very particular regarding language and "exact words" people use, and find it irritating when someone uses words that seem to contradict with their meaning. Many Jews I have known are very good at recalling direct quotes of casual conversations that took place long ago. This is a trait I have only ever seen among autistic people. I hope this thread grows and I think Mike's answer to SocOf's question has the potential to do that.

We need to demystify our distinctive experiences if we want to demystify the total autistic experience to the NT population. We need to scout out and appreciate our differences as we explore our common ground together.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 11:30 pm

^^^hiya ScoeyB :) welcome to the club 8)

Buckholtz
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Aug 2016, 12:18 am

What a reasoned, hilarious and heartwarming response, ScoeyB! I'm a bit nerdy-wordy, too (diggin' that hyper- loquaciousness). I could chat with you for hours! Thank you, brother. It would be cool if more autism organizations, programs or advocacy missions sought out folks like me. I'm not angry. I'm not militant. I'm not radical. I'm just determined to work with what I've got. I just want to inject some blunt honesty into the, nearly, nonexistent conversation about how being on the spectrum in brown skin can effect ones physical, mental and emotional wellbeing. I can't change my skin color, therefore, I'm unable to change current societally taught perceptions of people who look like me. I won't even try, but, as long as it's up to me, folks will see me as human. Humor is a big part of creating that energy.

"Music may achieve the highest of all missions: She may be a bond between nations, races and states, who are strangers to one another in many ways; She may unite what is disunited, and bring peace to what is hostile." ~ Dr. Max Bendiner

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2016, 1:51 pm

Buckholtz wrote:
It has been passed down to many generations, in "black culture", that we'll have to work harder than everyone else, due to purposeful dehumanization, mischaracterization and disenfranchisement of us. With these debilitating concerns always ever present, disability and learning challenges take a back seat to survival. Even basic health care is not as important as getting through the day alive.

It sounds to me like being POC plus autistic could build a much more resilient person than one by itself. That or completely break the person down.

Buckholtz wrote:
For many who find it difficult to believe these attitudes are genuine, it's because no one can truly step into another's shoes. However, empathy for peoples of color can go a long way in beginning to change the paradigm of shaming and blaming us with phrases like "Get over it", "Stop playing the race card", "You people are never satisfied", "Stop complaining" and other nonsensical statements never said to Jewish people, for example. We all need to listen to each other in a serious way. There's no delicate way to talk about the attempted genocide of a people. Jewish people aren't even asked to try. We, however, are told to soften our message so as not to offend the sensibilities of others. The double standard is massive. I do everything I can to rise above these challenges. It is NOT easy, because, so many do not understand the landscape with which we must navigate, nor do they want to.

I'm a sociologist. Race and gender are probably our two biggest categories in how we attempt to understand people, so we all get a lot of race theory. Some of it has literally made me ill. What you're saying is correct- there's no denying that. I have a couple of books in my basement that I dare anyone to get through more than a few pages of. One of them is called [url=https://www.amazon.com/Slave-Testimony-Centuries-Interviews-Autobiographies/dp/0807102733]"Slave Testimony"[/b]. But if people are ignorant of how bad it was, I don't see how they can be at fault for that. It's awful stuff, very hard to hear. Hard to connect to today's world. Hard to make sense of how to go forward after that has happened.

Buckholtz wrote:
Thank you for actually wanting to know. Asking questions is enlightening. This a broader conversation than I can chat about on here. Hopefully, there will develop enough interest in this for some organization to invite me to discuss it in detail. Thanks!

Dude, no, thank you for opening this discussion! Can you tell us where you would be willing to travel to if people reimburse your travel expenses? I'm assuming you are in the United States? Those of us who might hear of an opportunity can send on your contact information if we hear of an organization who might be interested.

Buckholtz
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Aug 2016, 3:36 pm

Quote:
I'm a sociologist. Race and gender are probably our two biggest categories in how we attempt to understand people, so we all get a lot of race theory. Some of it has literally made me ill. What you're saying is correct- there's no denying that. I have a couple of books in my basement that I dare anyone to get through more than a few pages of. One of them is called "Slave Testimony". But if people are ignorant of how bad it was, I don't see how they can be at fault for that. It's awful stuff, very hard to hear. Hard to connect to today's world. Hard to make sense of how to go forward after that has happened

Yes. The actual history is truly painful to learn or read about. Imagine how the descendants of many Brown peoples are coping, knowing some, through history, only want the facts ignored and kept in the past. This creates, over time, a lot of mental and emotional illness. For those generations who've survived emotionally and mentally intact, we can learn much from that kind of hardiness.

Quote:
Dude, no, thank you for opening this discussion! Can you tell us where you would be willing to travel to if people reimburse your travel expenses? I'm assuming you are in the United States? Those of us who might hear of an opportunity can send on your contact information if we hear of an organization who might be interested.

I'm willing to travel anywhere. As a military veteran and touring musician, I've traveled the world many times. Yes. I'm in the United States, but, I'm not boarder locked. I'm passport ready. Here's my contact information:

Client: Michael "Hot Mike" Buckholtz
Manager: Dr. William Harrison
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (318) 816.0610

Ok. Now, you have info to share about how to drag me out of a recording studio. :P Let's have a real conversation! :D

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2016, 3:50 pm

There are a few regular commenters on this forum who think that anyone who is black who is afraid of police is delusional. I hope those people are reading this OP and thread and are learning some things about empathy and compassion because autistic people come in all shapes and sizes and colours and this is supposed to be a support site for all of us to share our experiences and be there for each other.

I hope this thread can help to open some minds to the idea that being autistic and black can have it's own unique challenges just like being autistic and female or autistic and LGBT or autistic and physically disabled. The autistic narrative has been dominated by white male voices for too long and those voices need to make room for the rest of us, and they will benefit from that as much as we will. They shouldn't feel threatened by including us, they should feel comforted by the fact that they are not alone in their challenges and that there are others who, if they let us in, can help to broaden their perspective and make their life a little richer by the variety.

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

EScissorhands
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Aug 2016, 9:51 pm

Starting to wonder if most of you people are even really autistic or not, being HFAutistic and being around others, as I listen to you I wonder if your one of America's misdiagnosed, you don't sound logical. By the way, level down the white guilt white rich people, thank you.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2016, 9:57 pm

EScissorhands wrote:
Starting to wonder if most of you people are even really autistic or not, being HFAutistic and being around others, as I listen to you I wonder if your one of America's misdiagnosed, you don't sound logical. By the way, level down the white guilt white rich people, thank you.

Is that supposed to make some kind of sense? --because it's hard to parse. Is English not your first language?

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 1:45 am

EScissorhands wrote:
Starting to wonder if most of you people are even really autistic or not, being HFAutistic and being around others, as I listen to you I wonder if your one of America's misdiagnosed

Rant:
THIS AGAIN

We should make it an official rule for what is beginning to happen anyway, every thread must contain at least one post claiming autism is way overdiagnosed and most WP members are not really autistic.

This place is really sucks lately.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Buckholtz
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Aug 2016, 12:27 pm

Greetings to Everyone!

For all on this forum choosing to be supportive, as I relate my personal experiences, thank you. For all those here choosing not to be supportive, thank you. You see, I have lived long enough to understand not everyone has learned empathy or cares about what another person experiences. The majority of peoples in this world have been taught that their tribe, culture, social class, caste, home town, ethnicity, religion or clan is better than another. None of this is backed up by fact or remotely true. However, there are folks who view themselves righteous enough to claim another person's views are not important or authentic. They do this even while not, personally, knowing anything about said person. This is the product of two things: Ignorance, or, stupidity. Ignorance can be overcome. It is simply not knowing something. Stupidity cannot. It is deliberately doing something unwise, unreasonable, insensitive or dangerous even when one knows the facts, or, consequences. Since Alex Plank is the only person I, personally, know on this forum (and he supports me), logically, I must go with ignorance as the reason for the few naysayers, here. I'm cool with that, though. Brown people all over the world have had to deal with being mischaracterized, called liars, told to stop complaining, dehumanized by mass distribution of negative images (both cartoon and real) and rhetoric, etc. This has been nonstop for centuries, so, for me and many other Brown people, it's nothing new. I could be bitter about all this, or, choose to rise above it by educating my fellow humans through sharing real stories about trials I've overcome, even while viewing things as a Spectrumite. I choose the latter.

My good friend, author and car guy, John Elder Robison, told me, after we'd spoken to each other for several minutes, I have a similar vocal cadence as him and Dr. Temple Grandin. That comparison was surprising, since I'd not noticed it, right away. He, enthusiastically, welcomed me into his 'Aspergerian family' and we've been fast friends, since. He, now, knows me. He took the time to do so.

We can learn from each other only if we are open to it. Not just here on THIS forum. We can benefit from being more open-minded about what all peoples, of every background, are experiencing. Not everyone can or will perfectly relate their stories, but, when listening, it's best to come from a place of warmth and understanding, verses, assuming someone is a fraud, first. This post is for clarity. Say what you will about me. I welcome naysayers. I've developed a pretty thick skin. I know who my actual friend is here on this forum and he happens to be the creator of it. If you want to know anything about ME, just ask. I won't bite. I promise. That's why I'm here.

Peace.

Buckholtz
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Aug 2016, 12:39 pm

Quote:
I hope this thread can help to open some minds to the idea that being autistic and black can have it's own unique challenges just like being autistic and female or autistic and LGBT or autistic and physically disabled. The autistic narrative has been dominated by white male voices for too long and those voices need to make room for the rest of us, and they will benefit from that as much as we will. They shouldn't feel threatened by including us, they should feel comforted by the fact that they are not alone in their challenges and that there are others who, if they let us in, can help to broaden their perspective and make their life a little richer by the variety.

@wilburforce: Insightful and encouraging. Thank you. (...and I do like Hypnotoad). :P

Buckholtz
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Aug 2016, 12:55 pm

ScoeyB wrote:
Most Jews are perceived as white by other people until they see us enter or leave a temple, or we tell them we don't celebrate Christmas but are NOT Jehovah's Witnesses. (Interestingly, Witnesses are often called JWs in cyber shorthand, but I digress, as usual...) The other thing that "gives us away" as Jews, mostly to other Jews, is our speaking style and general loquatiousness. I guess the term for me is hyperloquatiousness. Yummy...word salad.

Though hilarious, you have no idea how poignant this is in reference to me. Spot on. :wink:

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Aug 2016, 6:33 pm

Ignoring my opposing view being held as racism by none other than Mr. Plank himself, let me address some of your points:

Buckholtz wrote:
The majority of peoples in this world have been taught that their tribe, culture, social class, caste, home town, ethnicity, religion or clan is better than another. None of this is backed up by fact or remotely true.
Probably inspiring to some, but completely vapid in context.

I'd also like to see the fact backing up your own claim above. Otherwise we have hypocrisy.

Buckholtz wrote:
Since Alex Plank is the only person I, personally, know on this forum (and he supports me), logically, I must go with ignorance as the reason for the few naysayers, here.
Allow me to amuse you for a few seconds:

Media 101

Axiom 1: people don't like to be sold stuff
Axiom 2: people will buy stuff when they don't realise they are being sold something
Axiom 3: convince people to buy stuff without them realising they are being sold something

Try it - play the game of 'what are you trying to sell me?'. Very amusing.

Alex has with this site a useful base of individuals who stuff can be sold to. His posts are pitches consisting of:

1) Selling a product framed as an 'important autistic issue' (i.e. John Elder Robison's book, or the Toni Braxton post i.e. creating awareness of a pop artist with an upcoming concert)

2) Selling an ideology

These are standard media forms. They are the function of news/newspapers (do you really believe Robbie Williams just 'happens' to be in the news with a bipolar episode the week before an album release, or someone else just happened to call Adele fat a few days before her latest single?)

Once an ideology is believed, products can be sold. And very easily.

Your piece is useful given the present race issue in the US - which is, of course, part of the election campaign.

I'd say you've been used. Or you're also aware of what your article is being used for.

There's nothing wrong with trying to convince people to buy stuff - but the framing/disguising of it as something else is, at best, questionable.

Buckholtz wrote:
I'm cool with that, though. Brown people all over the world have had to deal with being mischaracterized, called liars, told to stop complaining, dehumanized by mass distribution of negative images (both cartoon and real) and rhetoric, etc. This has been nonstop for centuries, so, for me and many other Brown people, it's nothing new. I could be bitter about all this, or, choose to rise above it by educating my fellow humans through sharing real stories about trials I've overcome, even while viewing things as a Spectrumite. I choose the latter.
Personally I could care less that you're a brown person.

My issue is with the framing of your article.

Buckholtz wrote:
My good friend, author and car guy, John Elder Robison, told me, after we'd spoken to each other for several minutes, I have a similar vocal cadence as him and Dr. Temple Grandin. That comparison was surprising, since I'd not noticed it, right away. He, enthusiastically, welcomed me into his 'Aspergerian family' and we've been fast friends, since. He, now, knows me. He took the time to do so.
Name-dropping - whilst possibly appealing to some - adds no authority to an issue.

If anything, it possibly weakens a stance.

Buckholtz wrote:
We can learn from each other only if we are open to it.
Quite.

One day you'll possibly realise your article here was useful as a framing tool.

But you'll likely completely reject this, as it implies you are a useful brown man used by a white man.

Ironically I'm on the side of 'equality' - but you likely won't see it.

Buckholtz wrote:
Not just here on THIS forum. We can benefit from being more open-minded about what all peoples, of every background, are experiencing. Not everyone can or will perfectly relate their stories, but, when listening, it's best to come from a place of warmth and understanding, verses, assuming someone is a fraud, first. This post is for clarity. Say what you will about me. I welcome naysayers. I've developed a pretty thick skin. I know who my actual friend is here on this forum and he happens to be the creator of it. If you want to know anything about ME, just ask. I won't bite. I promise. That's why I'm here.

Peace.
I personally don't assume you are a fraud - I simply think you've been used by Alex.

I don't think this makes me a naysayer, though.

Yes, some of your points are pretty weak in terms of the line of reasoning you adopt - but this is less important than the function of your piece.

Which is to keep the public thinking of the brown people issue, as it'll likely go a big way in determining which box they tick at the polling station.

Ironically, Alex followed your piece with a political piece.

The moves are stupidly obvious when you know what to look for.

Buckholtz - I actually feel for you.

Buckholtz
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Aug 2016, 6:52 am

sonicallysensitive wrote:
Ignoring my opposing view being held as racism by none other than Mr. Plank himself, let me address some of your points:

Buckholtz wrote:
The majority of peoples in this world have been taught that their tribe, culture, social class, caste, home town, ethnicity, religion or clan is better than another. None of this is backed up by fact or remotely true.
Probably inspiring to some, but completely vapid in context.

I'd also like to see the fact backing up your own claim above. Otherwise we have hypocrisy.

Buckholtz wrote:
Since Alex Plank is the only person I, personally, know on this forum (and he supports me), logically, I must go with ignorance as the reason for the few naysayers, here.
Allow me to amuse you for a few seconds:

Media 101

Axiom 1: people don't like to be sold stuff
Axiom 2: people will buy stuff when they don't realise they are being sold something
Axiom 3: convince people to buy stuff without them realising they are being sold something

Try it - play the game of 'what are you trying to sell me?'. Very amusing.

Alex has with this site a useful base of individuals who stuff can be sold to. His posts are pitches consisting of:

1) Selling a product framed as an 'important autistic issue' (i.e. John Elder Robison's book, or the Toni Braxton post i.e. creating awareness of a pop artist with an upcoming concert)

2) Selling an ideology

These are standard media forms. They are the function of news/newspapers (do you really believe Robbie Williams just 'happens' to be in the news with a bipolar episode the week before an album release, or someone else just happened to call Adele fat a few days before her latest single?)

Once an ideology is believed, products can be sold. And very easily.

Your piece is useful given the present race issue in the US - which is, of course, part of the election campaign.

I'd say you've been used. Or you're also aware of what your article is being used for.

There's nothing wrong with trying to convince people to buy stuff - but the framing/disguising of it as something else is, at best, questionable.

Buckholtz wrote:
I'm cool with that, though. Brown people all over the world have had to deal with being mischaracterized, called liars, told to stop complaining, dehumanized by mass distribution of negative images (both cartoon and real) and rhetoric, etc. This has been nonstop for centuries, so, for me and many other Brown people, it's nothing new. I could be bitter about all this, or, choose to rise above it by educating my fellow humans through sharing real stories about trials I've overcome, even while viewing things as a Spectrumite. I choose the latter.
Personally I could care less that you're a brown person.

My issue is with the framing of your article.

Buckholtz wrote:
Name-dropping - whilst possibly appealing to some - adds no authority to an issue.

If anything, it possibly weakens a stance.

Buckholtz wrote:
We can learn from each other only if we are open to it.
Quite.

One day you'll possibly realise your article here was useful as a framing tool.

But you'll likely completely reject this, as it implies you are a useful brown man used by a white man.

Ironically I'm on the side of 'equality' - but you likely won't see it.

Buckholtz wrote:
Not just here on THIS forum. We can benefit from being more open-minded about what all peoples, of every background, are experiencing. Not everyone can or will perfectly relate their stories, but, when listening, it's best to come from a place of warmth and understanding, verses, assuming someone is a fraud, first. This post is for clarity. Say what you will about me. I welcome naysayers. I've developed a pretty thick skin. I know who my actual friend is here on this forum and he happens to be the creator of it. If you want to know anything about ME, just ask. I won't bite. I promise. That's why I'm here.

Peace.
I personally don't assume you are a fraud - I simply think you've been used by Alex.

I don't think this makes me a naysayer, though.

Yes, some of your points are pretty weak in terms of the line of reasoning you adopt - but this is less important than the function of your piece.

Which is to keep the public thinking of the brown people issue, as it'll likely go a big way in determining which box they tick at the polling station.

Ironically, Alex followed your piece with a political piece.

The moves are stupidly obvious when you know what to look for.

Buckholtz - I actually feel for you.

Indeed, I am amused, even if for just a few seconds. I feel for you, too. You, still, do not know me, nor, have made any real effort to do so. Ironically, thank you for proving all of my points.

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Aug 2016, 4:36 pm

Buckholtz wrote:
Indeed, I am amused, even if for just a few seconds. I feel for you, too. You, still, do not know me, nor, have made any real effort to do so. Ironically, thank you for proving all of my points.

Buckholtz:

What does anyone 'getting to know you' have to do with the function of your post?

Why would I want to get to know you? Do I have to be your friend before asking a question/raising an issue on your post?

You also didn't address the issues I've raised.

What you could ask yourself is how your piece came to be - how you were asked to frame it - and why it was released chronologically as it was.

I realise it is uncomfortable, but it would be being honest with yourself.

I have no want to get to know you. And this has nothing to do with you being brown, so don't assume I'm racist.

My concern is with a misleading article framed as an 'autism issue' when the function is otherwise.

This is dishonest to all here.