Do You Ever Imagine Conversations by OTHER People?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2022, 2:49 pm

In addition to relentless scripting and rehearsing in my head of future conversations I anticipate, I also sometimes find myself imagining conversations between OTHER people that I don't participate in and never will. They're future hypotheticals that COULD occur, such as family members discussing my autism diagnosis (I'm currently undergoing evaluation) in my absence.

Do any here experience this?

Reikistar
Raven
Raven

19 Mar 2022, 2:53 pm

Elgee wrote:
In addition to relentless scripting and rehearsing in my head of future conversations I anticipate, I also sometimes find myself imagining conversations between OTHER people that I don't participate in and never will. They're future hypotheticals that COULD occur, such as family members discussing my autism diagnosis (I'm currently undergoing evaluation) in my absence.

Do any here experience this?

Yes I've done this. I used to imagine a therapist talking to her husband about me and imagine exactly how the conversation would go, line by line in my head. I also used to imagine conversations that I knew did take place but not exactly how they went, so I'd entertain myself by imagining it, again line by line.

I only do it when I'm deeply invested in the person or topic and wish I could witness that scenario.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 7:27 am

If the subject of this talk involves yourself, this is a common occurrence. Humans pay attention to what other people think of themselves, and use this instinct to consider the impact of behavior on the group before actually acting. This is a manifestation of human beings as social animals.
But if the talk involves insults or conspiracy against you, you need to be assessed for schizophrenia.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 6:46 am

I'm a very creative person who writes a lot of fiction, so most of my imagining of conversations that don't involve me involve fictional characters.

But I do sometimes imagine other real people discussing me in my absence. Usually in unflattering ways, when I'm afraid that people secretly dislike me or are planning to hurt me.