Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

KaleidoscopicMagpie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Feb 2022, 9:26 am

Hi,

How do you decide what to put in your signature? I'm thinking of sharing a little more info about me there, but I don't know what to put or how to put it or whether I should or should not. I'd like to become more active here and I find that having 'something' there makes it more likely that I will recognise a user if they post in different places. Also the avatars, I'll work on that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 9:34 am

Don't put any personal information----like your actual full name or last name, address, village or part of a city, things like that.

You would probably be safe saying you live in a certain city in a certain country.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 10:50 am

I put information that I need other members to know. What people know about you can dictate what kind of reply they write to your threads and it'd save me from having to keep repeating the same information every time I write a post.

I mean I need people to know that I'm a woman (yes I regret having Joe90 as my username :roll: ), and I need people to know that I live in the UK, as there's nothing worse than getting replies with advice aimed for people in the US.

Oh and I included my average empathy score because I don't like other Aspies doubting my empathy abilities just because I'm on the spectrum.

KaleidoscopicMagpie

22 Feb 2022, 6:48 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I put information that I need other members to know. What people know about you can dictate what kind of reply they write to your threads and it'd save me from having to keep repeating the same information every time I write a post.

I mean I need people to know that I'm a woman (yes I regret having Joe90 as my username :roll: ), and I need people to know that I live in the UK, as there's nothing worse than getting replies with advice aimed for people in the US.

Oh and I included my average empathy score because I don't like other Aspies doubting my empathy abilities just because I'm on the spectrum.

How did you find out your empathy score?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 8:22 pm

Include links to information interesting to you and that you want to share.

For example . . .

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 9:04 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I mean I need people to know that I'm a woman (yes I regret having Joe90 as my username :roll: ),

I enjoy you having that screen name since I recognize the sci-fi property it is.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062573/
Knowing that, the only thoughts I had about the person behind the forum name were that they knew about the program and liked it.

Quote:
and I need people to know that I live in the UK, as there's nothing worse than getting replies with advice aimed for people in the US.

Yep, that would be an issue!

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 9:07 pm

KaleidoscopicMagpie wrote:
How do you decide what to put in your signature?

Even though I obviously did decide, there isn't anything remaining in memory about how it was done.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 8:57 pm

Something that stood out to me as very fitting for me. So fitting that I haven’t changed it in all the years I’ve been here, I can never bring myself to delete it.

And sick and tired of people making false assumptions regarding me.

Occasionally I’ve added a line after what I currently have with something I wanted others to know right away, I changed that as seemed appropriate, don’t presently have anything that wouldn’t be too long to add.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 10:53 pm

I stick in something that amuses me, and then forget to turn it on for a year or so, until I think of another one. Let's see what it is now: