Is(Was) Your Mother On The Autism Spectrum?

Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Is(Was) Your Mother On The Autism Spectrum?
Yes, and she is(was) diagnosed as such. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Yes, but she is(was) undiagnosed. 20%  20%  [ 21 ]
She has some ASD traits but would not be diagnosed. 23%  23%  [ 24 ]
No she is(was) not. 48%  48%  [ 50 ]
Other.....pls explain 9%  9%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 105

momofmax
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Sep 2016, 4:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
My mother claims to have a "touch of Asperger's"--but she doesn't believe Asperger's is autism (she's a psychotherapist!)

She had a rough childhood. She grew up in the Depression and World War II. This colors her attitude about things.

She had a mean streak, and she took out some stuff on me when I was a kid. Sometimes physically. Never more extreme than hitting me with a belt, though.

She wasn't all bad; we had some good times----but she definitely wasn't a "cool" sort of parent.

I don't think she's autistic---but she does have psychological issues.

We're getting along a little better these days.

Interesting that your mom is a psychiatrist, yet doesn't believe Aspergers is Autism. I heard many times that many psychiatrists have psychological issues themselves. I guess that's why they got into the field. A subject of interest to them.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 8:30 pm

...My mom , I don't know and won't go into that now ~ But , my aunt on her side , her sister (now gone ~ as is my Mom :( ) ~ I have wondered so .
People always said about her . " Oh , she's like a big kid ! " :) I was always closest to her , of my mother's folks .
She led a normal life , had kids , was a housewife + substitute teacher in the small town (County seat) in East Texas where she (and my mom's parents - she lived in a house right next door to her parents , moved into it right after being married IIRC and stayed there for the rest of her life - Perhaps such " one place-ness " is an Asipe hallmark ? However , she and her husbad + kids traveled a lot in the US , via pick-up & trailer or likewise , so I don't know .)...I just don't know :| :?: .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 8:45 pm

...I GOTTA say it :mrgreen: :)
Okay , " Your mama is SOOOOOO autistic that..." ? Complete the sentence :wink: !

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

slave
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2016, 2:33 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...I GOTTA say it :mrgreen: :)
Okay , " Your mama is SOOOOOO autistic that..." ? Complete the sentence :wink: !

"Yo Momma's so autistic, she even luv Statistics!"

:wink:

Gacrsgrant

25 Sep 2016, 6:47 pm

I am adopted so I don't know but I know that she drank when she was pregnant so that is what we think caused my autism

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 7:21 am

Quote:
I am adopted so I don't know but I know that she drank when she was pregnant so that is what we think caused my autism

Drinking while pregnant doesn't cause autism. It causes Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. FAS can sometimes be seen in a person's facial features - you can literally look in a mirror and see if you have it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 12:57 pm

I doubt very much that my mum is on the spectrum. If she was, she'd have a better understanding of me.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 11:01 pm

We don't know. She did a lot of research herself when I was very young and suspected this was why I was struggling, and she once told me she thinks she has a bit herself.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 12:33 am

Yes. She doesn't understand social situations, she has obsessions with things, she dresses strangely, she has black and white thinking, she can't keep friends, she hates small talk, she prefers solitude, she prefers animals to people, she tends to be oblivious to other people's needs unless told (not great when you're a teenager with changing needs who sees other people's parents just immediately understanding things like now would be a good time to buy a razor or perhaps your kid needs a bra now), she is overly focused on details rather than the bigger picture, she takes things literally.

My Dad is the same. My Grandparents were probably on the spectrum too.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 6:09 am

I couldn't tell, since she's been dead now for 5 years. While she was never diagnosed, I suspect she may have been bipolar, given her abusive upbringing. She also had a tendency to isolate the family socially in everything.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 11:00 am

Maybe the opposite, of Autism on the Psychopathy spectrum. Specifically Sociopathy.

KanyeWestFan
Toucan
Toucan

28 Sep 2016, 3:16 pm

My mother doesn't but my dad is a clear suspect for Aspergers

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 6:53 pm

My mom is not autistic, but I'm an autistic mom to an autistic son.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 7:32 pm

...DON'T BE TALKIN' 'BOUT MY MAMA , CHUMP ! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! :cry: Sob . :lol: :)

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 8:13 pm

My mother is more autistic that I am, but she has excellent executive function, so she is much more productive in society than I am.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 1:08 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...DON'T BE TALKIN' 'BOUT MY MAMA , CHUMP ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :cry: Sob . :lol: :)

BAHAHAHA!! !! ! :lol: