Teeth Clicking and Other Repetitive Behaviors

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2007, 7:35 pm

I can't stop clicking my teeth together and it's driving me nuts. I have to click them together until it feels just right, just like my other OCD behaviors . . . I know I know, stop the compulsive nature and just ignore the anxiety. At least I don't grind my teeth. *headdesk*

And let's not forget about the symmetrical repetitive hand motions.

*shoves head in hands*

Suggestions? Similar stories of woe? Other random sarcastic comments? :P

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Oct 2007, 8:28 pm

I too have noticed that I clank my teeth in social situations where their are many people (like a party or festival) in an unfarmilar place. It drives me crazy (tho latly I have avoided such events, compaired to previous years) but what sucks the most is after a while your jaw gets sore. heh

Dave089
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Oct 2007, 8:57 pm

yeahh i do this also

especially to a beat to a song or something

quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2007, 9:09 pm

Clicking my teeth is a stim I developed just a few months ago, but I do it without realizing it, and when I do, it feels wrong to stop. It's weird because it came out of nowhere.

-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2007, 10:27 pm

Dave089 wrote:
especially to a beat to a song or something

I also compulsively play drums in my teeth.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2007, 10:41 pm

I've seen a cat do it.

newaspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2007, 10:50 pm

i do alot of that. i actually had a counselor ask me before if i did cocaine, which at first i didn't understand. Then he explained people that do often do alot of the same things like clicking and making some of the facial expressions and eye blilnking things that I do as well as the blank, expressionless staring, which I tend to do alot..

I can make myself NOT do these things and make myself create more facial expression as expected, but I have to continually stay aware and do it conciously, trying to keep up with what's expected. Even then I can't quite always get it right, and I often come accross as weird.. and it gets EXHAUSTING, when I just want to be myself..

you'd think a counselor would be more in tune with what is common with aspergers/autistic disorders, but I'm surprised at how much ignorance is out there..

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2007, 11:00 pm

I do this teeth clicking too. Mostly when I am driving and my thoughts are wandering.
"until it feels just right" I hate that feeling, when it's not quite right.
Makes me feel really nuts. I also catch myself whistling something obsessively over and over sometimes, trying to get it just right. Luckily I don't do this stuff much around other people.
I find the best solution for me is to focus on reciting something that I have memorized.
Or eat an apple.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2007, 11:33 pm

Wow, I didn't realize so many people did this. Originally I picked this up when I stopped sucking my thumb. Then, I would move my teeth up, down and sideways. And later, that's when I started clicking my teeth to rhythms. Now I just do it all the freaking time.

I'm trying to stop by just keeping my teeth together all the effing time. Or else, by chewing on my tongue. God I wish I could stop.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 12:45 am

Me too, I do this bruxism thing as well. I usually gnash down on my teeth in a rhythmic manner, approximately in time with my heartbeat, and if I am not doing that I unconsciously chew on a pencil or pen or something. I can only stop it when I become aware I am doing it but I am never aware of myself starting it. I did also keep sucking on my thumb and finger in the same rhythmic manner up until a to a late age. After I grew out of the finger sucking started the teeth gnashing. .

ughangie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Aug 2019, 10:55 pm

I bruised my gums a few days ago and ever since, I keep accidentally clicking one specific tooth. I also have very crooked teeth, so that could be a reason. It’s annoying af. Does anyone know how to make it stop?

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 2:46 am

Yes, but I don't let them click. I just make them meet.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

sillyhuman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jul 2021, 3:46 pm

TRY RUBBING YOUR THUMB AND FOREFINGER TOGETHER.

This is a simple trick for anxiety.
I had terrible teeth clicking all day for many months.
THIS ACTUALLY WORKED!! !
As long as I rubbed my fingers together, the clicking completely stopped for a few hours.
I couldn't believe it!

But when I got up from the computer and went to fix diner, it would start up again.
But it was MUCH better the next day.
You have to remember to keep doing this when it starts up again.

But it should improve a lot each day.

If you're busy doing things, this doesn't seem to work as well.
For me, it works while I'm watching videos.
But not when I'm busy doing something.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 5:47 pm

Almost everyday, I take my fists and bump them against any wooden surface.

I have no idea what caused me to do this in the first place, but whenever my fists start
to hurt from the bumping is when I stop.

differentpage

24 Jul 2021, 8:21 pm

Is this kind of thing (not the thumb and forefinger one) considered "stimming"?

In my wondering if I really have Aspergers, one point of doubt was that I don't do stimming, but I do several senseless repetitive things. They just aren't on the short list of stimming behaviors.

I just tried the thumb and forefinger and it's actually somewhat pleasant. Thanks for the suggestion.