Page 2 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 6:21 pm

IstominFan wrote:
I've never had one, but I would say maybe those squishy squeeze balls. They aren't just for autism, but I think they would work well if you are under stress.

My favorite de-stress item of all, however, has to be...CAT VIDEOS! Watching videos of my favorite tennis players helps, too.

I've always been a fan of squishy stress balls, especially the fluid-filled ones. When I was a kid, my mom avoided buying them for me because I always played with them so much they burst.

I love cat videos too, I can watch hours' worth of them on youtube. The funny ones always have me in stitches.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 6:57 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:

I would also highly endorse the headphones. Mine were cheap, like $14 on amazon. I use them all the time, when I vaccum, in restaurants, at musical performances, crowded events, etc. They've kept me sane so many times. The trick is to not be embarrassed or feel awkward about them, because they're not exactly subtle (mine especially; they're bright yellow!)

Im guessing you talking about noise cancelling headphones ? Are you using them to listen to music or to just cancel external noise?

They're not electronic and they don't have an active "noise cancelling" feature, they're just headphones like those used by construction workers:
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Optime ... +ear+muffs

I need music playing almost all of the time, but it has to be music I like. When I get really stressed, I like solo cello, but if it goes beyond that, I need the sound of water flowing or wind in the trees.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 7:57 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
StarTrekker wrote:

I would also highly endorse the headphones. Mine were cheap, like $14 on amazon. I use them all the time, when I vaccum, in restaurants, at musical performances, crowded events, etc. They've kept me sane so many times. The trick is to not be embarrassed or feel awkward about them, because they're not exactly subtle (mine especially; they're bright yellow!)

Im guessing you talking about noise cancelling headphones ? Are you using them to listen to music or to just cancel external noise?

They're not electronic and they don't have an active "noise cancelling" feature, they're just headphones like those used by construction workers:
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Optime ... +ear+muffs

Ah! I got the wrong end of the stick. I understand now why you said getting past feeling embarrassed or awkward , I have to say I would struggle wearing ear defenders ( thats what I call them ) in public and not feel self concious but if it helped me I would overcome it.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 8:10 pm

...I have nothing :( ...........

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 8:14 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...I have nothing :( ...........

ha ha , I have nothing either although I may not be autistic :roll:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Secretalien
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jan 2017, 11:25 pm

I've heard about weighted blankets - how do they feel different from, say, sitting or sleeping under two regular blankets?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 11:47 pm

I like the idea of the weighted vest and the weighted blanket. I have a real German helmet that I like to wear and the weight on my head helps to calm me.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 2:29 am

Secretalien wrote:
I've heard about weighted blankets - how do they feel different from, say, sitting or sleeping under two regular blankets?

They are considerably heavier than regular blankets, typically 10-20 pounds for adults depending on your size and weight. If you like the feeling of being squeezed or wrapped tightly, or having animals like cats or dogs sit on you, you would probably benefit from a weighted blanket or lap pad. I've been experimenting for quite some time with the kinds of sensations I enjoy, and while I like weight, the amount of pressure I need to feel really good and fully relaxed is way more than a weighted product could give me (it would literally have to be 30-40 pounds of concentrated compression directly on my chest) so I've turned to compression garments, which squeeze without being heavy.

I like keeping my weighted blanket, which weighs ten pounds, folded on my lap when I'm sitting watching TV or at the computer, it makes me feel more safe and grounded, in the same way that hiding under blankets makes me feel protected and separated from the world around me.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jan 2017, 3:41 am

The "Gif Jam" extension that I use on my Chromebook. No more spinning, flashing, animated, avatar gifs!

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 4:18 am

I didnt even know that there were any such things as "autism products". 8O

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 10:15 am

I think I would be very uncomfortable with a weighted vest. However, I find the weight of one thing very comforting. It moves, meows and purrs-my cat.

Windstorm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2017, 11:17 am

I don't use any autism specific products but whenever my left hand is idle I like to slowly twirl a writing pen like a drum stick.

PaulAspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2017, 12:58 pm

Trekkie83 wrote:
This is all still fairly new to me so I don't have much meant for Autistics. I did recently buy a Tangle and I really like it, EXCEPT for the feel of the "rubberized" coating. That one little feature is ruining it for me. I wonder if they make one that's just solid plastic?

Yes. I have a few. They have plain, textured (but hard plastic) and even a kind of foil covering version. The tangle Jr is generally what I like as they are about the same diameter of circle but the plastic is much thinner.

Professionally diagnosed January 2016 in my mid-30s. I always knew I was a little different but always thought it was quantitative not qualitative and I don't like labels I don't need. Now I finally understand a lot I didn't before. (Technically now called ASD in the USA but I really don't care about autistic v aspie for terminology.)

searsdp04
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2017, 2:35 pm

I've also found that if the table I'm working at has some eraser shavings I find myself playing with them every time.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 4:13 pm

StarTrekker wrote:

I would also highly endorse the headphones. The trick is to not be embarrassed or feel awkward about them, because they're not exactly subtle (mine especially; they're bright yellow!)

I have a nice blue pair I got on sale at a hardware store, but you can paint what you have, or do a neat job with tape. My cheap noise-cancelling ones were no improvement, but I have added little speakers and an MP3 player to both the "Mickey Mouse" set and to a winter hat I like.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 12:41 am

Favorite General-Turned-Autism Products:
• Ear buds plugged into cell phone playing song on repeat. This reduces overwhelming audio input to one predictable, comforting tune.
• Sunglasses with mirrored-coating, blue-tinting, and non-prescription lenses. This reduces overwhelming visual input to only what is right in front of my face (I am very near-sighted), reducing visual sensitivity and brightness.

Favorite Disability-Turned-Autism Products:
• American Sign Language for communication. This helps in noisy environments, when following multi-step instructions, or working-around selective mutism (I sign to my sister and she speaks for me).
• Literary Braille Code for reading. This helps in dark environments, when reading visually overwhelming material (some fonts and illustrations can be too distracting), or as a tactile stim.

Favorite Autism Products:
• Text-to-speech translator application. This helps slow down the speed of the conversation so that I can follow along, gather my thoughts together visually, and working-around selective mutism.
• Anubis, my Autism Service Dog. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Everything! He does guide work when my brain is overloaded, including finding any family members with me in public or exits. He alerts before meltdowns and to stop self-harming stims. He does tactile stimulation and deep pressure therapy.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol: