Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 1:27 am

Why do people think they know you if you are different from them? I can't do a lot anymore, but I hope things will be different sometime this year. I really wish my grandmother can understand about Asperger, she is now comparing her to me, saying I should do more cuz I'm younger than her. She don't care to listen to me, she don't want to learn. She don't know about Asperger & she tell me I should go out, go to stores & go out walking, cuz she is in her 80s & take walks. I can't do alot right now, I have panic attacks, but I'm getting better in life.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 2:01 am

People naturally tend to assume that others are like them. It is easier for them than thinking about all the alternatives, and how they don't know the way your mind works. My (NT) family also do this, and cannot understand that I become overwhelmed or stressed by certain situations, or that I genuinely don't understand things which seem obvious to them. Even when I have tried to explain to them, they cannot accept it, because they see me as the same as themselves.

com.plex
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jan 2017, 2:08 am

Yesterday my husband was telling me about how his sister once dropped out of college and then went back and now she's a professor. This was his way of encouraging me to go back to school for psychology, which I want to do, but I have intense anxiety just thinking about everything I need to do before I can even start. I don't even have all of my high school credits yet and I'll be 26 years old this year. I work from home M-F and one of our autistic children isn't school-aged yet so I have to manage his four weekly in-home therapies. My days are stressful and busy with hardly any time to myself, which as you can imagine feels like you're essentially suffocating. (I actually think I may be in a burnout state right now due to some intense depression, fatigue, poor memory, hypersensitivity and executive dysfunction.) Sometimes I feel like he doesn't quite understand my struggles. And to be frank, I don't think anyone that knows me understands or truly cares to because they don't take the time to try.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 2:42 am

com.plex wrote:
Yesterday my husband was telling me about how his sister once dropped out of college and then went back and now she's a professor. This was his way of encouraging me to go back to school for psychology, which I want to do, but I have intense anxiety just thinking about everything I need to do before I can even start. I don't even have all of my high school credits yet and I'll be 26 years old this year. I work from home M-F and one of our autistic children isn't school-aged yet so I have to manage his four weekly in-home therapies. My days are stressful and busy with hardly any time to myself, which as you can imagine feels like you're essentially suffocating. (I actually think I may be in a burnout state right now due to some intense depression, fatigue, poor memory, hypersensitivity and executive dysfunction.) Sometimes I feel like he doesn't quite understand my struggles. And to be frank, I don't think anyone that knows me understands or truly cares to because they don't take the time to try.

Hang in there! You might benefit from speaking to a mental health professional. If you are having a burnout, they could help to explain this to your husband. Good luck, and take care of yourself! :D

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 6:26 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
Why do people think they know you if you are different from them? I can't do a lot anymore, but I hope things will be different sometime this year. I really wish my grandmother can understand about Asperger, she is now comparing her to me, saying I should do more cuz I'm younger than her. She don't care to listen to me, she don't want to learn. She don't know about Asperger & she tell me I should go out, go to stores & go out walking, cuz she is in her 80s & take walks. I can't do alot right now, I have panic attacks, but I'm getting better in life.

Your grandma grew up in a generation where autism was pretty much unknown and more importantly the common value system was of rugged individualism and solving your own problems without burdening others with them. Mental problems were considered a moral failure and carried a great stigma. If a person was seeing a psychiatrist everything was done to hide it. If a person was a was unable to function in society they were a "mental defective" and were institutionilized and the families were advised to never speak of them and remove all mementos such as pictures of the "mental defective" from the home. So a lot of people who needed help refused to get it and just tried harder. Some made it others did not.

So if I would guess your grandma thinks since you do not present as a raving lunatic your problems are minor enough that they can be solved by just trying harder. She probably does fear you will become a "mental defective" failure in life if you do not try harder.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 7:44 am

I don't understand, how come Aspies and autistics have to always understand NTs and look at everything from their point of view otherwise we get accused of lack of empathy, but it's quite obvious that NTs are exactly the same towards us (and not on purpose), and they still don't get accused of lacking empathy?

I am not bashing NTs and I hate sounding like I'm an ''Us vs Them'' type of Aspie, but I just have to word it that way to get my point across. It's so annoying. It's like the pot calling the kettle black.

com.plex
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jan 2017, 7:53 am

FandomConnection wrote:
com.plex wrote:

Hang in there! You might benefit from speaking to a mental health professional. If you are having a burnout, they could help to explain this to your husband. Good luck, and take care of yourself! :D

I actually start seeing a therapist next week and I'm practically counting down the days. She specializes in working with children and adults with Aspergers and an autistic mom friend of mine has been seeing her for four years. If she's a good fit, I won't hesitate to bring him along. It might feel a little awkward but I did notice a significant difference in his understanding of our youngest son being autistic once he heard things from a therapist and doctor's perspective.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 8:35 am

I don't see this as an NT vs Aspergers issue. It's about dealing with a strong willed opinionated grandma who's in her 80's.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 10:07 am

I don't mean to judge you or your life, which I know almost nothing about. She does make a point though, I regret the countless hours I spend on the computer (unless it's on websites like this and a few others). There are still quiet and non-panic inducing activities you can do. You can learn a new language, you don't need anyone else to do that. Knitting isn't just for old ladies, it's a quiet activity, you don't need to multitask either. I agree with Ezra, the situation is dealing with a stubborn grandmother. Try to explain things from your perspective.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 1:28 am

I can't do alot right now, I get tired easily, I don't like socializing too much anymore. This does have to do with my Asperger. I'm trying to see if I can get better, but my grandmother & other people want me to be somebody I'm not. If it were their child, they would learn about what they have, my mom learned about my cerebral palsy, asperger & psoriasis. I wish these people would just really listen to me & believe me, why would I make this up?