Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 10:38 am

My brother was also very smart but he doesn't sound gifted as yours. He's never had behavior or acted up in class but he has been bored with school work because it was too easy for him and they wouldn't challenge him. But when we moved, his new school gave him upper grade school work.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

MsV
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jan 2017, 11:38 am

League_Girl wrote:
My brother was also very smart but he doesn't sound gifted as yours. He's never had behavior or acted up in class but he has been bored with school work because it was too easy for him and they wouldn't challenge him. But when we moved, his new school gave him upper grade school work.

That helps so much! Private school in the US was the same way. Sadly, schools in the EU were pretty baseline-oriented... or even more of a race to the bottom...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 11:51 am

MsV wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Also a lot of other neurological conditions can share similar traits to ASDs, but not actually be an ASD. For example, my friend who has Fragile-X does not have ASD with it but still faces a lot of social and intellectual difficulties due to her disability. She finds making friends hard, and looking for employment is even harder, and cannot maintain a relationship. She is rather lonely and often feels isolated. Her Fragile-X interferes with her life and always will. I would say she's allistic but not neurotypical.

What is fragile-X?

Fragile X syndrome is a genetic condition that causes a range of developmental problems including learning disabilities and cognitive impairment. Usually, males are more severely affected by this disorder than females. Affected individuals usually have delayed development of speech and language by age 2.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 7:16 pm

One must find lines of what is 'human', what is 'self'(or anything what an individual is), and what is 'cultural' or 'environmental' before concluding which or what is 'neurological'.

An inclination at best, a label at worst(?).
To me NT simply means neurotypical, neurology of majority. It is not based on upbringing, experiences, cultures, quirks, perspectives, opinions, positions... Differences or similarities, and what those people can or cannot do, whether it's inherit or not.

As much as there's no 'true autist', there's no 'true NT' either.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 9:34 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You have synesthesia, SOC?

Fascinating!

Yes, but it's totally not helpful and has always been embarrassing. I have a way of perceiving objects, numbers, and some words and music in ways that are kind of like feeling them and kind of like them having personalities but really not like either of those things.

I remember a very embarrassing moment when I was trying to understand a math concept and I asked the professor, "You mean you fold it?" She looked at me like I was nuts and she wanted to laugh. But she didn't. I think she was on the autism spectrum. Maybe because of that she was always very nice to me and anyone else who didn't fit in.

When I'm doing some things I just have to memorize the steps because my mind wants to do strange things with the information that I can't describe to other people so I don't know if what I'm doing is correct.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 10:17 am

NTs tend to be more socially oriented and follow trends. Some of them seem to be what I would call "sheep."

Even many very socially oriented people can be diagnosed with something-dyslexia, AD(H)D and the like. Many famous athletes, for example, had one or both of these conditions. Being "normal," even very social or athletic, doesn't mean there isn't some kind of battle to fight.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 1:23 pm

I think that some people are. They're trend followers who enjoy living in the present. They wish that others would do the same, even if they can't.

Ssmith25
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jan 2017, 10:52 pm

MsV wrote:
Just a random thought but it seems that even the most normal seeming people in my vicinity have certain neuro-atypicalities which makes me wonder if the category NT really exists.
What would be the definition of a neurotypical? Being an aspie I understand my wiring for the most part and could identify my characteristics, but what makes an NT?

I'm unsure because I seem to have less autistic characteristics than many what they call neurotypicals. They tell me I will never have a relationship or if it goes wrong then it would be all my fault, but I've broken away from relationships because of the other people being nasty, abusive or other reasons. I had a boyfriend who was so obsessed with his hobby of racing cars he cared more about them than me. I know people who are worse, more shy or nervous in social situations than me.