What is YOUR definition of neurotypical?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TheWarrior
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Feb 2017, 5:42 pm

I try keeping things simple for myself.
Normal people: those who have fun in parties, have lots of friends, seems to not think deeply about anything at all.
Screwed people: those who I can relate with, and my friends mostly fit in this cathegory. I'm included here too.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 6:21 pm

NT means neurotypical -- Neurology of the majority. It's not necessarily mean 'healthy' or 'better or worse'.

It does not define by what they like or dislike, it's not defined by life experiences or upbringing, it's not defined by personality and culture, and it has no predispositions other than what is taught to them AKA the question of "What is normal?".

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 6:26 pm

For some reason, this first comes to mind

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 6:59 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Neurotypical = a person with no brain conditions that cause them to learn skills slower or differently, the skills people take for granted like certain social or intellectual skills, or emotional stability.

If a person's behaviour is affected by environment (like bad upbringing) or certain habits (like drugs or alcoholism) or big unfortunate changes (like divorce or death of a loved one), they are still a neurotypical. If a person's behaviour changes due to a brain injury like from a car crash, or a brain disease like Dementia, they are no longer neurotypical.

So someone with PTSD would be an NT then even though they might also have a hard time functioning and ,might also deal with the same issues ASD people deal with. Their issues are either caused by their upbringing or something they experienced in their life like domestic abuse or being raped or an accident or a disaster or being in the war, etc.

That also makes me wonder about other kids too who have problems because it was caused by their environment like being sick a lot as a baby so it affected their brain development and now they need special ed and they also have special needs as a result. And what about kids who were neglected so now they have RAD or are a feral child because they were kept locked away in a cupboard or something and had no human contact and abuse can change the wiring of the kid's brain and give them a permanent disability in their brain because of their upbringing.

I don't know the answer to that. Perhaps it might be the severity of how it affected a person's behaviour.
But what I do know is when I volunteered at this club for teenagers with disabilities, they didn't all have autism, but they were all non-NTs. Most went to a special school.

Perhaps it's not black and white? Just something to think about when you think of these cases.

Just to muddy the waters - People with schizophrenia are neurodivergent but what happens if they develop it later in life , were they always neurodivergent or were they NT until they develop it

I do believe people can lose their NT. My aunt was "normal" until the age of 13 when she started to have problems and she was diagnosed with schizophrenia when she was 24.

I have heard of stories about children being "normal" and then they drown in the pool and they become ret*d. That happened to a kid in our neighborhood when he was three and it happened to a student in the 1970's my dad taught when he worked in special ed during college. He was "normal" and then he drowned and was in the special ed room the following year because he was now ret*d.

Then there is cerebral palsy where they are "normal" before delivery but then something happens during their birth and they lose oxygen to their brain and end up with Cerebral Palsy and that can cause MR.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

lekrons
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Feb 2017, 8:03 pm

I definitely had a moment, when I realised I'm probably aspie, and I thought:

"Wait, all the 'fake people', the shallow ones who stand around chatting for hours about their kids, diets, gym workouts etc who wouldn't talk to me because I don't get my hair and nails done or follow fashion...they're the 'normal' ones?"

Had to remind myself that I know plenty of people who are probably NT, who are wonderful, friendly non-fake people.

Being proud of who and what I am is a good thing, being an elitist because of it, not so much. :)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 8:12 pm

A term made up by autistics to describe people that people that are not autistic or born with non typical brain wiring. Shockingly non specific and metaphoric concept for autistics to invent

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 8:51 pm

Someone who doesn't have any type of neurological disabilities or disorders.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 9:51 pm

For those who said "No neurological differences or disorders"... don't most people (6 out of 10, at least) have a non-typical brain then? So then neurotypicalism isn't so typical after all, so what is it? Solve that problem!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 10:01 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
A term made up by autistics to describe people that people that are not autistic or born with non typical brain wiring. Shockingly non specific and metaphoric concept for autistics to invent

Hear hear. I think the first thing that should be established when discussing the term is it was made up on the internet. It's not a medical / scientific term at all.

horseguy2u
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2017, 10:26 pm

idonthaveanickname wrote:
To me, neurotypical means that the neurons in the brain are functioning normally, like they typically should.

I agree with this until I get to the word "should".

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 10:46 pm

EzraS wrote:
I don't think of people in those terms. I've always been in schools for those with autism, which is kind of like being in a club. I don't think most clubs have some special name for anyone who's not in the club. It's just them by name and then everyone else. I never even heard the term neurotypical until I started browsing autism forums.

Jews are tinier proportion of the world's population than are autistics. Yet Jews have a collective word for "all non Jews". That term being "Gentiles", or "the Goyem".

The Rom, or Gypsies, call all non Gypsies "Gadjay".

And the German language has a word for the entire surface of the planet that lies outside the borders of Germany: "Das Ausland".

And in fact most clubs DO have a term for "nonmembers". And that term is.... "nonmembers". So why shouldnt we autistics have a collective term for non autistics?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 6:57 am

Allistic is the correct term for non-autistic.

We could go on forever when keep questioning about things like depression or shyness or stuff like that. A bit like asking if people with things IBS are physically disabled.

But the way I see it, people with the following don't fit the NT category:-
Autism spectrum disorder
ADHD
Down's Syndrome
Fragile-X
Personality disorders
Tourette's Syndrome
Soto's Syndrome
Intellectual disability
Bipolar
Schitzephrenia
Epilepsy
Dyspraxia
Dementia
Parkinsons

There are probably more. But some conditions like dyslexia can slip through the net and be NT, depending on the severity and how much it affects their life. It seems like a long list of conditions, but most people who I've met in my entire life don't have any of those, so out of such a huge population, more people are born NT than not.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 8:23 am

I never realised it wasn't a word used by the medical profesion. The word has just lost all credability with me :roll:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 10:28 am

SaveFerris wrote:
I never realised it wasn't a word used by the medical profesion. The word has just lost all credability with me :roll:

Why?

NT means "non autistic". Autistic IS a medical term. So just because the medical community never got around to making up a term for folks who dont fit one of their categories doesnt mean that lay persons cant making up a term for "all people who dont fit in a [particular medical category]".

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 12:28 pm

What exactly makes an Aspie less typical than, say, a non-autistic with severe learning disability?

An Aspie adult who is high-functioning, has a job, is married, has kids and can drive, is not "normal", where as an adult with severe intellectual disability who needs to be cared for all his life and kind of has the mind of a baby, is "normal", just because it isn't autism?

Allistic means non-autistic.
Neurotypical means no intellectual or social disorders/disabilities that interferes with their lives (the clue is in the word).

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 12:30 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Why?

NT means "non autistic". Autistic IS a medical term. So just because the medical community never got around to making up a term for folks who dont fit one of their categories doesnt mean that lay persons cant making up a term for "all people who dont fit in a [particular medical category]".

It's a word I only use here and it's perfect for describing someone who does not have autism ( not technically what it means ) but apart from that , that's it , I thought there was a deeper meaning to it , as you can see from my comments above. I might just start using the word clowncake instead as it will mean exactly the same to me :P

Q: Why did the clowncake cross the road?
A: To get to the other side. (clowncakes are so damn practical it’s sickening.)

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard