Page 1 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

wittgenstein
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2017, 9:24 pm

I am sick and tired of all these, poor me, I'm disabled, no one understands me posts. We are better then NTs! http://www.neurotypical.com/page1/page1.html Our ranks include https://www.disabled-world.com/artman/p ... 2086.shtml . The only thing I hate about that site is that it is labeled " disabled world. " We are not disabled! For example, over and over and over again I read, " I have autism. I don't know why women don't like me." I have autism! Yes! Social rules are confusing. Why? Because they are arbitrary, dishonest and you have to obey them to get an NT to like you. However, we are aspies and if we trust ourselves we win! Women love the fact that we are honest and don't give a damn about social conventions. Probably because we don't understand them! LOL

I love debate!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtckVng_1a0
My debate style is calm and deadly!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-230v_ecAcM

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2017, 10:34 pm

I mean I agree, but some of the problems I've experienced in life have been pretty noticeably "disabled". I don't quite think it's a disability, more of a difference, but when the disability part shows it really changes the way we think about ourselves. It's hard to see yourself as a normal and successful person when you become the target of 30 other "normal successful people".

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 12:13 am

We're not better than NTs.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 12:21 am

You are no better or worse than any other, unless you wish to be worse.

Don't be proud.

Just be you.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 2:01 am

And I'm sick of all this autism supremacy BS :roll:

Surf Rider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Feb 2017, 2:39 am

wittgenstein wrote:
I am sick and tired of all these, poor me, I'm disabled, no one understands me posts. We are better then NTs! http://www.neurotypical.com/page1/page1.html Our ranks include https://www.disabled-world.com/artman/p ... 2086.shtml . The only thing I hate about that site is that it is labeled " disabled world. " We are not disabled! For example, over and over and over again I read, " I have autism. I don't know why women don't like me." I have autism! Yes! Social rules are confusing. Why? Because they are arbitrary, dishonest and you have to obey them to get an NT to like you. However, we are aspies and if we trust ourselves we win! Women love the fact that we are honest and don't give a damn about social conventions. Probably because we don't understand them! LOL

I did get a chuckle out of thinking that "Neurotypical disorder is characterized by obession with the thoughts and feelings of others, preoccupation with 'fitting in,' investing excessive amounts of time in social rituals, hypersensitivity to information that is true but uncomfortable, and changing one's opinions and beliefs to match the opinions and beliefs of those around them."

It really comes down to frequency of occurrence: if NTs were 1 in 150 and Aspies were 149 in 150, then NT would be considered a disorder. But that's not the way human evolution happened. Nature favored a human that was predominately ultrasocial, and that's just the world we live in.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 2:48 am

Maybe aspies aren't disabled idk. But I know my autism is a significant disability. I don't see anything about it to be proud of (or ashamed of for that matter). I don't see how I am superior to those without autism (or inferior to them for that matter). I'm dependent upon "NT's" I know that much. Other than that we are all just people as far as I'm concerned.

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2017, 3:39 am

I have to disagree. We are not better than NTs and actually, I do find aspects of being autistic disabling. It has limited my life and there is very little positive (for me personally) about it.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 3:41 am

There is no such thing as 'better' or 'worse', between neurologies.

There is only 'human'. :skull:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 3:42 am

Surf Rider wrote:
It really comes down to frequency of occurrence: if NTs were 1 in 150 and Aspies were 149 in 150, then NT would be considered a disorder.

There are things rarer that ASD that aren't considered disorders because they don't impair functioning, and things much more common that ASD that are considered disorders because they do impair functioning. It's much, much more common to have an anxiety disorder than it is to have a genius-level IQ, yet anxiety disorders are disorders, and high IQ isn't. They're losing money by calling autism a disorder, they wouldn't want to do that unless it actually was.

I agree, not giving a f**k about social conventions and being honest isn't a disability. But that's not what autism is. This "autism isn't a real disorder" s**t is really undermining. There are things I genuinely struggle with, and that's not me feeling sorry for myself, nor is it the "NTs to blame" BS.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 4:01 am

wittgenstein wrote:
I am sick and tired of all these, poor me, I'm disabled, no one understands me posts.

yeah, they're pretty common. but such is the nature of a forum like this IMO.

wittgenstein wrote:
We are better then NTs!

not agreed. better how?

Surf Rider wrote:
It really comes down to frequency of occurrence: if NTs were 1 in 150 and Aspies were 149 in 150, then NT would be considered a disorder. But that's not the way human evolution happened. Nature favored a human that was predominately ultrasocial, and that's just the world we live in.

well, there's more to "disorder" than occurrence. impairment of functioning matters too. nature "favored a human that was predominately ultrasocial" because clearly that's what gets genes passed down. whether those people are good or bad parents doesn't matter nearly as much.

sure, they might have an easier time pairing gametes, but i think human society is complex enough that differences in that ability don't make anyone any "better" or "worse" than anyone else.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 4:33 am

It is not a matter of bieng better or worse it is a matter that we are a very small minority that is different in the way people care about most social communication. This puts us at a strong to severe DISADVANTAGE.

As for disabled everybody even if not clinacally disabled is disabled is some way. For most if not all Executive Fuctioning issues I have a hard time comprehending how they would not be disabling even in the most Autistic friendly society. But Executive Dysfunctions are not considered an Autism "trait" but a "co morbid" (SMH).

As far as pride I see no logical reason to be proud or ashamed for my brain wiring. It is a matter of what you do with your Autistic brain.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 19 Feb 2017, 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

19 Feb 2017, 4:34 am

In many ways I agree. I think I have a preference for Aspies, but it's because I can easily understand them and their intentions. Also, I like our focus and preoccupations. I think we're neat and interesting.

However, I think you're generalizing when you say we are not experiencing disabilities. Perhaps you think only of the high functioning Aspies. Because I think some of us are most certainly having a lot a trouble just getting by day to day.

I had a rough time growing up, with socializing, but I wouldn't say it was a disability. It was just weird? Idk

Surf Rider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Feb 2017, 4:46 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
sure, they might have an easier time pairing gametes, but i think human society is complex enough that differences in that ability don't make anyone any "better" or "worse" than anyone else.

You might have heard the hawks and doves example. In a society of birds, there are hawks and doves. If a hawk meets a dove, the hawk kills the dove. If two doves meet, they help each other find food. If two hawks meet, they fight to the death. Over time, an equilibrium is reached of 5 hawks to 7 doves. Neither species is necessarily better, even though the dove strategy is somewhat more successful. But an equilibrium is reached where both species exist in a steady state ratio in the population.

We can think of autism the same way. But instead of 5 hawks to 7 doves, there is 1 ASD to 149 neurotypicals. That's the equilibrium.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 5:03 am

Surf Rider wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:

You might have heard the hawks and doves example. In a society of birds, there are hawks and doves. If a hawk meets a dove, the hawk kills the dove. If two doves meet, they help each other find food. If two hawks meet, they fight to the death. Over time, an equilibrium is reached of 5 hawks to 7 doves. Neither species is necessarily better, even though the dove strategy is somewhat more successful. But an equilibrium is reached where both species exist in a steady state ratio in the population.

We can think of autism the same way. But instead of 5 hawks to 7 doves, there is 1 ASD to 149 neurotypicals. That's the equilibrium.

We should think of people with autism as super aggressive predators right at the top of the foodchain? There are more hawks than doves because of the energy loss at each stage of the foodchain, should we really be thinking of autism in the same way?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 9:07 am

This thread seems like petty bickering over what works best for your self esteem.

IMO no-one here needs their opinion changing , the only opinion I see that needs changing are the narrow minded people who don't fully understand how autism & comorbids affect people differently.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard